Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Bottled water, or an RO?

Hi all,
been doing some 'brain storming', (danger for me), and have an issue. We take bottled water, and purchase same on trips. We have a '95 Bounder with the white plastic water tank and wondering does anyone have an RO system for drinking and cooking water?
One challenge is, for the RO to function correctly is the need for constant water pressure even while travelling correct?
What have others done?
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
We just use a Brita Water Pitcher for drinking water.

17 years and still around to make more fun.......
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #3

Mr Lars,

You would have to contact the manufacturers of what ever RO or untrafilter you are considering. They have varied requirements.

If you have a taste and/or odor problem with your potable tank, why not sterilize it and just use it? It is 30+yo and the plasticizers are all aged out by now.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lars View Post
Hi all,
been doing some 'brain storming', (danger for me), and have an issue. We take bottled water, and purchase same on trips. We have a '95 Bounder with the white plastic water tank and wondering does anyone have an RO system for drinking and cooking water?
One challenge is, for the RO to function correctly is the need for constant water pressure even while travelling correct?
What have others done?
Many RV's have reverse osmosis and we do as well

One more thing to winterize however
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lars View Post
Hi all,
What have others done?
Higher end ro units have a boost pump built in and you can add one to any

50 psig or higher is best
Old 01-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends. If I was going to be in a park with hard water like in the southwest desert I would get an RO for water but if reasonable water is available I would just sanitize the water system and use a whole house filter just like at home. That will make it taste good. If you continue to drink from bottled water you don't need to filter the fresh tank just to shower etc. but it still should be sanitized occasionally, once or twice a year.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Depends. If I was going to be in a park with hard water like in the southwest desert I would get an RO for water but if reasonable water is available I would just sanitize the water system and use a whole house filter just like at home. That will make it taste good. If you continue to drink from bottled water you don't need to filter the fresh tank just to shower etc. but it still should be sanitized occasionally, once or twice a year.
Good point on sanitizing

I have watched many people over the years fill their water tanks

They pickup the hose out of the compartment or box, toss it on the ground, hook it up, stick the hose in the tank

Not good

At a minimum sanitize the hydrant, tank fill area, and both hose ends
Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

If you're using water with unknown bacterial content, r/o filters will not decontaminate the H2O. Stay with bottled water for cooking, ice, and drinking water.

Particulate filters and activated charcoal are great for their intended uses, and reverse osmosis will help with hard water, up to a point. If you routinely spend time in hard water areas a compact water softener may provide better results.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #9

An RO unit requires maintenance, bottled water for drinking does not, just adds to the plastic pollution problem. I choose what takes no maintenance (excuse, because of my age) even though I don't like the pollution issue.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

We use a combination of potable water from the tank for cooking and cleaning, a water softener cartridge with spigot at the sink for coffee and drinking water. And bottle water when we are fishing.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the blue Camco in-line filter at the spigot, and a high-quality 1/2 micron carbon-block filter under the sink with separate faucet for all water that we cook with and drink!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #12

So we go the bottled water route for our drinking water. I sanitize the tank every year, drain it after every use and use a charcoal filter to fill it. But at the end of the day I can’t vouch for a lot of things at the campground. Did someone connect their hose to the faucet after messing around their waste hose? Do they put their fresh water hose with their waste hose, seen that before. How well does the campground maintain their facilities. I am probably way more conservative on this then I need to be but when I can go to Costco spend 3 bucks for 36 waters it’s money well spent imo. If we are dry camping I don’t worry about it because I know the water from our house is safe.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, water