Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #1

Bridgestone Tire vs. Michelin

I have Michelin tires (295/80R 22.5) and was thinking about replacing them with Bridgestones (same load and everything). Has anybody had any bad luck with Bridgestone tires?

dbeth
dbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth View Post
I have Michelin tires (295/80R 22.5) and was thinking about replacing them with Bridgestones (same load and everything). Has anybody had any bad luck with Bridgestone tires?
I have not used Bridgestones other than on my car and I found those to be fast wearing and I was disappointed with them. I changed the tires on my RV a few years back and we went with Michelin again.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ran Bridgestone 19.5" on a P30 with no problem.
Dealer I bought them from even sold Michelins. And he recommended the Bridgestones at their cheaper price.
Don't know if his profit was better with the Bridgestones or not.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Bridgestone tire is a quality tire. In fact at it's introduction to North American market, Michelin watched it closely and considered it to be close but not up to Michelin quality standards.
Having worked as a technician for Michelin, maintaining Quality Control laboratory equipment for 15 years, I'd go with the Michelin's. Kind of biased but it's an honest answer.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have not used Bridgestones other than on my car and I found those to be fast wearing and I was disappointed with them. I changed the tires on my RV a few years back and we went with Michelin again.
I agree with Driver at least on car tires. I had 2 sets that I replaced with Michelin's due to early wear out of the Bridgestone's. I have read on iRV2 that most RV tires are replaced due to age and not wear.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why worry about early wear when most RV tires are replaced due to age not because the tread is gone.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #7

We use Bridgestones R250F series load range "G" tires on our coach and have found them to wear extremely well.

Tread depth on a new R250F series tire is 19/32". I replaced our front tires Sep 09, at 53,687 miles with 14/32" s tread remaining.

I highly recommend Bridgestones as we've had excellent trouble free service from them.

Best of luck with your choice on new tires.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #8

We also use Bridgestone 265/75R22.5 250F tires on our coach. I have had no problems at all. I did have to replace the front due to an alignment problem. With the new tires now installed and the alignment completed my coach runs perfectly straight. Finger tip steering.

2000 Triple E Empress on a Freightliner chassis 330 cat
New RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #9

Commercial Member

Trying to judge wear of an RV tire based on the wear of your car tires is like basing the quality of your news TV report on the accuracy of the weather report. OR judging the fuel economy of a Class-A to a car.
What few know is that ALL OE tire performance specs come from the car manufacturer. The priority of ride, handling, noise, weight, traction etc is based on what the car manufacturer wants. I have never seen wear in the top 5 or 10 list of items. The car manufacturer performs hundreds if not thousands of miles of testing the tires submitted for approval by the tire companies. It is a competition between two to four tire suppliers to see which tire built to meet the car company goals meets the priority. Tire performance is a series of trade-offs. Improved traction usually means more noise. Improved fuel economy usually means faster wear etc etc.
Car companies can be fined big bucks if they do not meet fuel economy standards but not if the tires wear out in 30,000 miles instead of 40,000 miles.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
After reading what seems like hundreds of posts not only here but other boards over the past few months, I am replacing all six G670RV tires on April 16th with the Bridgestone 250R Load H range 295/80R/22.5. The cost difference is $1200 between the Bridgestone and Michelin tires. I felt the $1200 was better spent other places. The drive tires are DOT coded 00 and 01. The steer tires are 03 as I had replaced those shortly after purchasing the coach from the original owner.

Heading for Alaska on May 1st. i will use one of the front tires as my rubber spare to take with me in case something happens in the boonies.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had Bridgestones on out 1989 Pace Arrow and never had a problem with them...cannot say the same for the Goodyears that were on the coach.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #12

Hi Richard, Would you mind letting us know how much you paid per tire and where did you get them from.
thanks
Robert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #13

I had a Goodyear G670 blow out on the rear recently. When I replace it will be with Bridgestone, Michelin or Continental. The latter were recommended by a buddy who owned a trucking firm, maybe 40 trucks, and now drives a DP motorhome. The Goodyear's have the best marketing for an RV application, which isn't in my top 10 criteria for a tire. I'd have to agree tread wear isn't either. I want safety factor against a blow-out (only way I know how to get that is load range), limited telegraphing of road noise (Toyo's were awful in that respect) and ride quality (which I have no measurement for at all).

I did find an interesting statement while navigating the vagaries of a 22.5" tire blow-out: according to a local commercial tire service, if I bought Bridgestone or Continental from them, the tires come w/roadside service for tires with a fairly wide geographic range across the lower 48. I have no idea what the reality of this encompasses (if anything) but plan on finding out before I put any new moho rubber on. If it turns out there's truth in this, I'll probably put new steer tires on this year and save the old fronts for unmounted spare when traveling in Mexico.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #14

We have Bridgestone R260s and R299s on our new to us 42' Monaco and they ride great, but so do the Michelin XZA1s and XZA3s that are on our 38' DutchStar.

They're both great tire brands IMHO
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote