Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #99

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suspect the (MOST COMMON) cause of LEAN on one bank is PCV VAVLE HOSE/ FITTINGS, possibly a vacuum line connection (which can be at manifold, or Device?) There are other possibilities, such as gaskets..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #100

Hi everyone.... So far no backfire. As for the issue getting it started. Here's where we are with that... still haven't found where the power draw is coming from. We checked for the usual suspects. Plus others. Mainly because after a smooth 30 mile drive. She didn't want to start up after a 5min stop. We found that it's not recognizing when it's in park. It's been decided that once that is fixed. It's on to a new home for the pace arrow while we admit defeat and shop for something different. (Please note that my post wasn't the first issues we've had. Just the first ones that stumped us. Don't want you guys thinking we are quitting to soon)
MandyRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #101

Mandy

Sorry to hear the "load" became too heavy. Please do let the next owner in on this thread. They may be able to glean some helpful info... as well as continuing the thread for possibly even more info!

All n' all... it seems your RV is simply very tired...
Old 12-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #102

Mandy, after 100 posts evaluating your issue your head must hurt. I can understand that. Don't give up the ship, just go back to basic tune-up procedures and start from there. Geeesh, 25 posters and 40 opinions.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyRH View Post
Hi everyone.... So far no backfire. As for the issue getting it started. Here's where we are with that... still haven't found where the power draw is coming from. We checked for the usual suspects. Plus others. Mainly because after a smooth 30 mile drive. She didn't want to start up after a 5min stop. We found that it's not recognizing when it's in park. It's been decided that once that is fixed. It's on to a new home for the pace arrow while we admit defeat and shop for something different. (Please note that my post wasn't the first issues we've had. Just the first ones that stumped us. Don't want you guys thinking we are quitting to soon)
So Mandy, how did you fix the backfiring issue. Please don't leave it at "an airflow issue".
Don't leave us hangin'!
Old 12-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #104

I've done everything that has been talked about on this thread. New dist. Rebuilt carb. Plugs, wires, etc....
Check the output on that ele. Fuel pump in the tank!
There is also the issue of the unobtainable timed relay that primes the fuel.system. works off the oil pump.
89pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #105

mufflers

we have a 2008 Itasca Latitude gas pusher, we've gone through 3 mufflers in two years. Nothing quite as exciting as having the engine overheat, coast to a stop along the interstate, and find out you can't open your door because you are up against a guard rail. Replace both mufflers at the same time with straight through glass packs. Use 1 can of sea foam with every 50 gallons of gas to keep injectors clean. Most stock mufflers not strong enough to handle back pressure.
crshopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:22 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crshopping View Post
we have a 2008 Itasca Latitude gas pusher, we've gone through 3 mufflers in two years. Nothing quite as exciting as having the engine overheat, coast to a stop along the interstate, and find out you can't open your door because you are up against a guard rail. Replace both mufflers at the same time with straight through glass packs. Use 1 can of sea foam with every 50 gallons of gas to keep injectors clean. Most stock mufflers not strong enough to handle back pressure.
Gut the cats, and live long and happy.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #107

Will not start. In park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyRH View Post
We had a problem with failure to start (crank) in park. It was a 1999 Pace Arrow on a Work Horse chassis. The lock out switch was very difficult to adjust so I just moved gear shift to neutral to start.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I don't see where the muffler has anything do do with it. Backfire like you describe tells me the carburetor needs work. It sounds like the engine is running rich (too much fuel) and when the unburnt fuel collects in the muffler it ignites with a exploding sound.

This is correct, but, it sounds like you also have a misfire on the ignition side. The first and probably the cheapest, is replace your distributor cap.

What is happening is you get a spark plug to fire when an exhaust valve is open. This can send flame from unburnt gas through exhaust to where more unburnt gas settled in your muffler, then BIG BANG!
bemmy miffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #109

Here is a wild one!! My uncle's cabover Chev truck would backfire a lot under load.
I finally got fed up enough to attempt to find the cause.
Tipped the cab. Checked all the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. All good.
Went to adjust the points. To do this the camshaft follower has to be on a high point on the distributor shaft.
GUESS WHAT?? There was no high point on the shaft!! No points whatsoever.
How in the H the engine even ran I don't know. The distributor shaft was completely round.
I took another distributor from one of his old trucks that "got tired" and swapped it in.
We went home (40 miles away) and came back the following weekend to meet him coming into his driveway with the truck. Asked where he had been. Reply was 60 miles (each way) to Green Bay and back. "Truck runs great!! Must have needed some highway miles to clean out the carbon."
Yeah, sure!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
THIS^^^
The best way to tune a carb is check the ignition. Do this before anything else.
I would add, a 1985 vintage engine is likely to have points and condenser and not electronic ignition. Could be as simple as points and condenser replacement and timing.
If it were me, I would convert to electronic ignition. Not that expensive and 100% more reliable.
Points and condenser werent used after 1972 in GM and after 77 for ford. This would have an electronic ignition. I’d be willing to bet either the timing chain is stretched or the valves are burnt due to poor maintenance.
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #111

Post #78. It's fixed.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #112

This thread won't die!
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote