Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2020, 10:33 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Gm high energy distributors all, and I mean all, eventually short the distributor cap inside. Look for cracks and brown residue. Put on a new cap, coil and rotor first. Odds are it will fix the backfiring. Proceed with plug wires and plugs from there if not. frequently the whole center of the cap will be burnt away under the coil and the stupid things would still run , the spark jumping well over an inch to the rotor.

That just reminded me of an old issue with conventional ignitions called carbon tracking inside of the distributor cap. I don't remember the cause(s), but under certain conditions carbon tracks can form and create electrically conductive tracks between spark plug and/or coil terminals inside the cap.

That could easily have the effect of totally messing up the timing of getting the right ignition pulse to the right cylinder at the right time.

Arguably popping the distributor cap off and inspecting the inside for carbon tracking should be one of the first things to check in this case.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #16

Someone could have a pair plug wires / firing order wrong as well as timing. How's the idle smooth ? Excessive popping when letting off happens burnt exhaust valves. Should be big distributor cap HEI it's not too hard to unhook the spring loaded screws and flip it over to inspect it, the carbon brush and rotor without removing any or just a wire or two. Scrape off deposits look for arching tracks wipe it out good with dry towel. Look and listen plug wire jumping to ground we used to look when it was dark .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #17

Another first post, then no response. With all due respect, it sounds like there is not much mechanical knowledge, so detailed troubleshooting advice may not have much value. Other than calling a mobile mechanic, driving home with the blown muffler may be the best plan. Then, finding someone that knows how to work on an engine.

Good luck, and please post back here with any news.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #18

If you own a 35 year old RV, you need to know the workings and mechanics of it. Swapping mufflers was a big waste of money.

Unburnt fuel cause backfires. I suspect the carburetor is dumping fuel down the intake. Pull the sparkplugs and see if they are soot black.

The choke could be sticking. In 1985, they were still controlled by a round spring in the intake. When the motor heated up, the spring pulled the choke open.

A shorting plug wire. If its dragging a cylinder, raw fuel is pumping into the exhaust.

Timing could be off. Also, as mentioned, switch the distributor from points to electronic ignition.

My money is on the Carburetor.

Edit: If it is the carburetor and it's a Rochester Q-Jet, the best fix for it is a new Holley.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #19

It's a 454. Chassis I believe is a p30. So far we have replaced: spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter. We have checked the fuel pump, vacuum advance and looked for anything possibly clogging it up. It's weird that it's only doing this on the driver side. Boyfriend is starting to think it's a lifter or valve issue. And believe me when I say we would have drove it home without a muffler already if there wasn't a battery issue too. Something is draining it and we haven't been able to figure it out yet. But we did manage to get it going at almost 3:00 this morning. Still not home. But we are getting there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201217_112228.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	311599  
MandyRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
THIS^^^
I would add, a 1985 vintage engine is likely to have points and condenser and not electronic ignition.
Our old 1984 C30 pickup with the 454 engine did, indeed, have electronic ignition - no points in the distributor that I recall.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyRH View Post
It's a 454. Chassis I believe is a p30. So far we have replaced: spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter. We have checked the fuel pump, vacuum advance and looked for anything possibly clogging it up. It's weird that it's only doing this on the driver side. Boyfriend is starting to think it's a lifter or valve issue. And believe me when I say we would have drove it home without a muffler already if there wasn't a battery issue too. Something is draining it and we haven't been able to figure it out yet. But we did manage to get it going at almost 3:00 this morning. Still not home. But we are getting there!
Low voltage could lead to a miss fire and a back fire. Weak spark not totally igniting the fuel charge.

BTW, GM has been electronic ignition since 1974.
Lynn
Old 12-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Our old 1984 C30 pickup with the 454 engine did, indeed, have electronic ignition - no points in the distributor that I recall.
I can assure all that my 1974 Corvette has electronic ignition original from the factory. I'm certain about every other GM vehicle had it shortly thereafter.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Your engine is carbureted. Does it have an air pump on the engine? If so, can you disconnect it?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #24

Drive it home the best you can and then find a mechanic that is older than 50 to look at it. You are in over your head and are thinking about tearing into the engine mechanicals on a guess. You need to get competent help. You have already thrown parts ( money ) at it and that hasn't solved the problem. I don't mean to sound brusque but that is the bottom line.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #25

I'm with Roy-c. Changing parts and hoping you changed the right one gets expensive. Get a mechanic familiar with that engine.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #26

If it's true dual exhaust it's only dumping excess fuel and or post cylinder combustion at that bank blowing its muffler.
Pretty sure there isn't and air pump on an 86.
Checking choke is pretty easy. But the Quadrajet kind of always have choke partially closed and will open with higher throttle and load. It should kind of float when off cold choke 5/8" to 3/4" gap open at idle. If you tie it open it will have poor vacuum and power lighter acceleration .
Old trick to check bad exhaust valve/s is to put dollar bill at tail pipe ,if tries to pucker it in shows bad exhaust valve/s. Has to be warm engine at low idle and good exhaust piping.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 PM   #27

I don't consider it "throwing/wasting" money on replacing a part that needs replaced. And it's not that we're incompetent or in over our heads. We we're stuck in the middle of nowhere with limited resources and tools. Was hoping someone had a quick fix to get us home. But we got here finally. Thank you for taking the time to give your advice. I know you didn't have to.
MandyRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Suspicion of an engine MISS and raw gas going into Hot exhaust; Many small engines/ mowers have solenoid to shut off gas leaving carb when engine turned off to prevent muffler backfire. With yours, being 1985, carburetor (vs Injectors), float valve sticking open/ or set too high can cause FLOODING, as can trash in fuel/ carb needle/ seat? Hope this helps? Is backfire on shutdown, or always while driving? LEAN can also cause backfire, and can be as simple as clogged fuel filter or failing/ intermittent electric fuel pump? Just listening to exhaust and/ or holding hand to exhaust pipe outlet can often detect engine miss. LUCK