Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Dom

Bug cleaning tips

I was out washing up the MH getting ready to hit the road. I realized a tip I can pass along. While WD40 is not a good lubricant, it makes a awesome bug and tar remover. The best part is you've always got some around. Even if there is no pressure or the top is broken. I just use a self tapping screw, around the top, to puncture, that way if there is pressure the screw makes to go slow.
Then pour onto rag. Anyone else got any like minded. ideas?
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I was out washing up the MH getting ready to hit the road. I realized a tip I can pass along. While WD40 is not a good lubricant, it makes a awesome bug and tar remover. The best part is you've always got some around. Even if there is no pressure or the top is broken. I just use a self tapping screw, around the top, to puncture, that way if there is pressure the screw makes to go slow.
Then pour onto rag. Anyone else got any like minded. ideas?
WD-40? what about your paint or Diamond Shield? No damage?
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

The hardest part is holding the bug down while you wash it, lol lol 😝
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Dom

No it is not a harsh cleaner, very similar to bug and tar remover, both petroleum based.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

Here's another one.

While some folks get all up in arms in certain suggestions, this one is no different but, it works great. I use a spray bottle filled with 1/2 water and 1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide!!!!! I'm sure you've all seen and felt what happens when you pour H/P on a cut, right? It fizzes and all that. Well, guess what, you ought to see it when you spray it on the wind shield or, 3M shield or paint on the front of your coach, when they're cooked on from driving.

And NO, NO, NO, NO, it has ZERO effect on any surface!!! I've used that solution many, many times and our D/P front end looks as nice now, as it did when we purchased it, almost 8 years ago.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Meguiars bug remover work great for me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #7

Wink Try Bugslide

I have had great results using Bugslide. Bought it at the Laughlin River Run last year to use on my motorcycle which catches at least as many bugs as my Class C. I buy the half gallon refills on Amazon to save a few bucks. The more you use it the more you get the benefit of it building up on the surfaces and bugs tend not to stick nearly as much.

Even the baked on bugs we get here in southern Arizona come right off with just an easy wipe and it leaves a nice wax like shine. Works for me.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have found that the best way to clean bugs off is apply a good coat of wax before the trip. I really like Star Brite RV wax. Goes on and off easy and leaves a real coating. Other than that perhaps a good coating of 303 Protectant.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #9

Actually the main ingredient in wd40 is fish oil. That's why it is harmless to most anything. Google all of the uses for WD40 and you will be amazed.
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's not correct. The ingredients of WD40 are a light lubricating petroleum based oil, and "Stoddard" solvent (whatever that really is, I'm pretty sure it's mineral spirits). My grandfather knew the inventor. The MSDS is on the internet. And it does what it's abreviated name implies: it displaces water to help prevent corrosion.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

I've always used dryer sheets. Cleans good and doesn't hurt the paint
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvm1970 View Post
I've always used dryer sheets. Cleans good and doesn't hurt the paint
X2. It works and you often have them on hand.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Here's another one.

While some folks get all up in arms in certain suggestions, this one is no different but, it works great. I use a spray bottle filled with 1/2 water and 1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide!!!!! I'm sure you've all seen and felt what happens when you pour H/P on a cut, right? It fizzes and all that. Well, guess what, you ought to see it when you spray it on the wind shield or, 3M shield or paint on the front of your coach, when they're cooked on from driving.

And NO, NO, NO, NO, it has ZERO effect on any surface!!! I've used that solution many, many times and our D/P front end looks as nice now, as it did when we purchased it, almost 8 years ago.

Scott
That's what I used on my Harley. It works great!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
dawn dish soap and water - can't beat the price
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote