Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Burning plastic smell

Woke up this morning and smelled melting plastic in the coach. Wife and I tracked it down to the circuit breaker box. And it was very hot to the touch. None of the circuits were popped. I was hooked up to shore power with the air conditioner running all night. Does anyone think that we have to replace this box? I unplugged it and it cool down and it's no longer making the smell. It was also on a surge protector on a very old post. I have a 2007 Dynamax isata 24 ft on a E450 chassis. Thanks for any help provided...BTW the stains were on the box when I bought the coach 3 months ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170719_093935.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	169264
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Somewhere there is a problem you need to track down. Perhaps the AC running all night could have contributed to the problem but it also could be low voltage from the park connection. Could be a loose wire to the circuit breaker box.

Your circuit breaker box may not need to be replaced but you need to see what melted and caused the smell.
Many possibilities that need to be checked.

Hope you find the problem.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Without opening the box and seeing any internal damage , it's hard to say what's wrong inside .

If the smell was due to a loose connection at a wire nut , there may be enough slack in the wire , to remove the damaged wire , and get a good /clean/tight connection with a new wire nut.
If the loose connection was due to a set screw and there is any damage to the internal components , you may have to replace the box, if the internal pieces cannot be removed / replaced.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

DoC808-

I believe that is a Parallax transfer switch mounted on the back of a Parallax converter.

I'm guessing one or more of the wires inside the transfer switch are loose and arcing, causing the burning smell.

These are very important pieces of equipment that must be running safely. To use them as-is is to invite the chance of a coach fire. If I were you, I'd replace them immediately. If you are comfortable doing that yourself, call Randy at Bestconverter (www.bestconverter.com), and have him overnight the parts to you. If you are not comfortable replacing the equipment, contact a local, qualified repair shop to do it for you.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

I think there should be a fan in that converter/transfer/breaker box. See if you can see it and see if it spins when things get hot.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think there should be a fan in that converter/transfer/breaker box. See if you can see it and see if it spins when things get hot.
I did not hear the fan running, it's usually loud enough to hear easily.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
DoC808-

I believe that is a Parallax transfer switch mounted on the back of a Parallax converter.

I'm guessing one or more of the wires inside the transfer switch are loose and arcing, causing the burning smell.

These are very important pieces of equipment that must be running safely. To use them as-is is to invite the chance of a coach fire. If I were you, I'd replace them immediately. If you are comfortable doing that yourself, call Randy at Bestconverter (www.bestconverter.com), and have him overnight the parts to you. If you are not comfortable replacing the equipment, contact a local, qualified repair shop to do it for you.
Copy all. I have to get back to Rochester by Friday so I popped the AC and microwave circuit breaker. And it is not smelling anymore for the time being. I will not be running the AC again until I get it fixed. It'll have to wait till the first of next week. What I'm thinking of doing is flipping the coach batteries off until I get it fixed. But I need to turn it on to get the slide in and out. Otherwise I'm going to limp home
Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! That's scary!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

I also wouldn't plug in into any shore power or run the generator until it's fixed.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Plastic smell, means fire. Fire means injury or death. I would certainly have an electrician or an rv tech check for melted wire. I'm sure it's no fun to jump out of the window of the rv and watch it burn. When in doubt, check it out...
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #11

Thanks everyone, got it fixed yesterday and back on the road now. Thanks Spinroch
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #12

Glad you got it handled. Too many people take electricity for granted. It doesn't take much to cause electrical fire. A loose screw in an outlet or breaker, a loose wire nut, or loose neutral will cause arching. Always have it checked out if you smell any burning PLEASE
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoC808 View Post
Thanks everyone, got it fixed yesterday and back on the road now. Thanks Spinroch
So, for the benefit of everyone reading this thread what was the problem and solution?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do tell...
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell