Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 01:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
Some things to research for your taste and lifestyle: Floor plan, options like AGM batteries instead of deep cycle batteries, 2000 watt or larger Pure Sine Inverters, all electric coaches (induction cooking and convection microwave cooking), extra receptacles for your lifestyle, refrigerator/freezer outside coach, TV & entertainment center outside coach, satellite reception if desired (in motion or stationary), Three 15000 BTU ACs (a must in a 43 footer IMOP), Residential refrigerator inside of coach, MCD automated blinds, beneath floor heating, solar panels, tank heaters, and now 2016 models have an optional emergency exit door and passive steer tag axel.
This is an excellent shopping list. I am going to print it out and give it to a dealer of either a Mountain Aire or Allegiance (2016) and get what I want. This is really good stuff and I hop others want to chime in on state of the art equipment needed to boondock in a big rig. How many AGM batteries do I need to avoid using my gen? Lead acid or lithium? What is that heating system that supplies heat under the floor? How many panels for solar? Xantrex inverter?

I need a menu of meat and potatoes to design and order and I am so darned busy I just don't have the time.

Great responses from all.
Patriot65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Have you ever been to quartzite?

Newmar, Am Coach - great brands. I would add Entegra to the mix were it me.
So, you would add a 2016 Cornerstone to the list of possibilities for a new RV that includes Mountain Aire and Allegiance (or Eagle). I read the thread on "Sword fight" between Entegra and Newmar on this board. I also note it seems the base price of Entegra's top rig is close to Newmar's entry level luxury model.

More excellent food for thought, and barring large differences in quality, might dictate saving a poco dinero.

The Entegra is of equal quality of a Newmar or American Coach?

Can I get all those state of the art goodies I need? (Inverter, extra receptacles, solar wiring, etc..)
Old 05-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot65 View Post
So, you would add a 2016 Cornerstone to the list of possibilities for a new RV that includes Mountain Aire and Allegiance (or Eagle). I read the thread on "Sword fight" between Entegra and Newmar on this board. I also note it seems the base price of Entegra's top rig is close to Newmar's entry level luxury model.

More excellent food for thought, and barring large differences in quality, might dictate saving a poco dinero.

Can I get all those state of the art goodies I need? (Inverter, extra receptacles, solar wiring, etc..)

Since, in your OP, you emphasize long periods of boondocking there are special considerations.
1. Need for solar. For this component you will need a specialty vendor. I don't believe any manufacturer will be willing or able to do the job in this area. Read AM Solar's web site and visit "Solar Bob". If you can do some preplanning maybe a manufacturer could do some basis wiring in the correct gauge as part of the build.
2. House batteries. You need as much battery capacity as you can cram in. If L16s are available, go for them. If not, then a minimum of 8 AGM or flooded cell.
3. I have a residential frig but I question that option with a lifestyle heavy on boondocking.
4. If there is an LED option, take it.

Going to Hershey is a good idea. Schedule a trip to Tampa in mid January also and spend at least 2 days at the Tampa Super Show. Lots of tires to kick.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

I would, at the very least, explore it (Entegra cornerstone that is).

I know one things for sure, all three have excellent customer service - personal experience on American Coach, lots of reading on the other two.

Something to think about.. the MADP has a macerator toilet (they all might actually) and the complaint there is that it uses more water, quickly depleting the water supply. There's a post running around here somewhere from a buddy who just bought one... he figure out the rear toilet was the culprit, so when conserving, they use the front toilet as it direct drops in the black - but this is something you will want to check out a little asking actual owners - the dealer will probably just shoulder shrug the question.

I think ultimately, Entegra WANTED to nail that middle market, which was sort of dry for a while, with a nice coach.

Totally agree on solar being installed by someone other than manu, that knows exactly what they are doing. When done right, it's amazing!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here ya go

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/mace...ts-193607.html
Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #20

Quote:
I'm searching for a minimalist lifestyle (in a $400k rig) in Quartzite or surrounding long term areas in winter.
I guess everyone has a different definition of "minimalist"
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I guess everyone has a different definition of "minimalist"

I thought that too, but ya never know.... OP could be stepping down from a 9000 square foot mansion! I could see why he wants such a nice unit, I can't criticize.

I myself though would feel a little bad driving it into the surface of the moon though, opting instead for the grasslands of AZ over the rocky end. Both are pretty, one is harder on your rig than the other.

Also, if you have dogs, you gotta watch the quartzite side of AZ carefully!!!

OP, are you planning on taking pets with you?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #22

not criticizing. I'm happy for folks who can do it. Just thought it was interesting
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #23

Be aware that different brands have different margins for the dealers. Entegra will be a shade more of a discount than Newmar. Aggressive Newmar dealers will come in at 25-30% while aggressive Entegra dealers will be more along the 28-35% range. I'm not sure what discounts you might see from American Coach.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #24

Quote:

Our top candidates at this time are Newmar and American Coach. Both companies make very nice coaches. I will talk to them at the show in Hershey in September.

Both are very nice coaches. We are buying an entegra .we looked at newmar, and american also. Entegra and newmar made for a tough decision. I like the american coach except for the lack of underneath storage space(look and compare). Newmar will customize more than entegra but I liked some of the build materials/features better on the entegra.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #25

Now looking at the Fleetwood Providence:

2015 Fleetwood Rv Providence 42m, Orange Park FL - 112275504 - RVTrader.com

I guess this is kind of a test to gauge activity on this board, but tell me folks. We all buy apartments on wheels. Considering equal systems and features, we pay another $200K for names?

Please look at your driver's license, subtract today's date from your birthdate and write that number down. After, go here: Actuarial Life Table. Look up your age and figure out when the government thinks you might tank.

Newmar, Entegra, Fleetwood. Laughter? Ridicule? Questions?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't subscribe to the philosophy of that you are paying for a brand. I believe within Mfg's there is a difference in quality and systems.

Frames on top of the line units in a given Mfg isn't typically the same frame (chassis) on the entry level. There is a big difference in cost for a 500 or 600 hp motor compared to a 300 hp motor.

A side radiator chassis is more expensive than a rear radiator chassis is another example I believe.

Another item to look at is leveling jacks on various units. Some leveling jacks I've seen look like a toothpick compared to others.

They all have tires, but I know some have better tires and larger capacity than others.

Appliances, furniture, cabinets they all have different levels of quality and features also. Unfortunately in RV's, it is very hard to compare "equal systems and features".
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Now looking at the Fleetwood Providence:

2015 Fleetwood Rv Providence 42m, Orange Park FL - 112275504 - RVTrader.com

I guess this is kind of a test to gauge activity on this board, but tell me folks. We all buy apartments on wheels. Considering equal systems and features, we pay another $200K for names?

Please look at your driver's license, subtract today's date from your birthdate and write that number down. After, go here: Actuarial Life Table. Look up your age and figure out when the government thinks you might tank.

Newmar, Entegra, Fleetwood. Laughter? Ridicule? Questions?
I agree with jeryan59. There is a world of difference in the quality (and cost) of many of the systems in a $500,000.00 coach and a $100,000.00 coach. Through my research I have found that less expensive motorhomes generally use lower quality refrigerators, water heaters, microwaves, heating systems, entertainment and lighting systems.

They have 1 or 2 house batteries as opposed to as many as 12 batteries. They have lower powered inverters that are connected to fewer outlets and appliances, and need smaller and less wiring for power distribution. They have a smaller (if any) generator) and in some cases don't even utilize a transfer switch.

In addition many options are not available on less expensive motorhomes. It's unlikely you'll find a washer and dryer, dishwasher, roll out storage compartments, exterior entertainment systems, power awning(s), and air suspension.

I'm sure there's a larger profit margin on a half million dollar coach than there is on a hundred thousand dollar one. It's no different than comparing the cost, quality and amenities of a Mercedes S550 to a Hyundai Sonata.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #28

Patriot65
You have gotten good advice to your question. IMHO the best advice you received was a bit off your OP, and it was from MCJones suggesting you purchase used first. Few folks buy just one boat or motorcycle or, well one anything. Learn what you actually need/want in a coach from a good quality used coach and then move on from there. Buying new always hurts more and the depreciation upon driving off the lot means waiting longer to get what you really want if you are very much upside down on your loan. Dealers are very good at hiding the true cost of moving up to another coach quickly and we are very good at rationalizing when we see something we really want. Many folks never realize what it actually cost them to move up every few years until they go to sell their last coach. Sounds like I am preaching and I really don't mean it that way, so I will shut up. Good luck!

Tags
vent