Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Most new vehicles pass CA emissions. There is a sticker under the hood. It will say USA emissions standard, but you want it to say it meets California emissions. If it does, you're fine. Then when you come to CA you have to have it weighed and smogged. There is no sales tax for vehicles in CA - there is use tax. This is the way CA makes sure they get tax from out of state purchases. Wherever you buy it, you will pay CA use tax when you register it, which is 7-9% or so depending on your county. You may be able to avoid sales tax in the state you buy it if you are registering in CA. If you have to pay sales tax, you are double taxed because you will also pay use tax in CA. The only way to avoid use tax is to not use it in CA, which means register in another state and keep it out of CA for the required time - I don't know if it's 6 months or a year. It used to be that people would register vehicles in Nevada or Oregon to avoid CA taxes. That's why they started the use tax. No matter where you buy and register, if you use it in CA, you are required to pay use tax. So the only way to avoid it is stay out of CA.
CA will credit you on any sales tax paid in the state you purchased the vehicle in. If you paid less than what CA charges you have to pay the difference. If you paid more you get nothing back.

If your a CA resident you can purchase tax free in a tax free state, or take out of state delivery from a CA dealer without paying tax, but you'll have to keep the vehicle out of CA for a full year plus you'll have to prove you used it not just stored it.

Not sure how they handle the CARB inspection from an out of state dealer unless they get you when you bring it in after the year. If you buy it from an instate dealer and take out of state delivery then the dealer does the inspection. If you buy used with more than x miles, not sure what x is, you shouldn't need a CARB sticker. Used diesel trucks owned for private use don't have to be upgraded. Only commerical ones are being forced to upgrade.

There is one reason you can bring it in for a max of 30 days and that's if you taking it to your dealer for maintenance but it has to be straight to the dealer then straight out of state with no stops in between.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #16

If the dealer is a good one...

Have THEM contact ca dmv to confirm the coach first CAN BE sold into ca.

There are many different things involved that can tangle this up so first actiin is to insist the dealer do THEIR JOB.

They have folks who do title work so they may tell you fine but it may not be but they can also do the dmv work.

You can have them send yiu the vin and other license information them make an appointment with your local dmv office so you can quickly drop in and ask exactly what is needed.

Get copies of any forms needed to send to dealer.

If they need to see certian stickers and record certian numbers then follow up with the selling dealer to have them send you photos of stickers and copies of paperwork.

Again make appointment with dmv to have them review everything.

Lastly get it in writing that it is part of the deal that it can be titled in ca.

If financing the unit your bank also would need this in front.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The OP us talking about buying a new DP. Not used, old, modified, etc. Registration in CA is a non problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #18

Missed the new at the top of op but tgey still need to be sure selling dealer contacts ca dmv to title it sold into ca.

Ca is funny about emissions as nd maybe other things that an out of state may not pay for on a stock unit.

If out of state dealer is ordering then just order ca version and title correctly.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #19

For folks reading this don't assume the rules that CA has can be applied elsewhere. Each state is different. For example if you buy a vehicle in FL you will need to get a tag because in FL the tag belongs to the owner not the vehicle. So upon purchase the tag is retained by the seller. So out of state buyers will need to get a temporary tag and that requires the sales tax be paid. If the state you plan on registering the vehicle has a reciprocity agreement with FL you will be credited with the tax you paid in FL.

One way of avoiding dealing with the FL DMV & presumably any other out of state DMV, is to bring a tag with you from your home state. FL will allow you to register your newly purchased vehicle without the vehicle physically being in FL if you have the title and a VIN letter from any dealership or LEO office in the state you purchased the vehicle. Upon paying the taxes & registration fees, you will be issued a permanent tag that you can take and put on the newly purchased vehicle so you can drive it home.

Personally I would be cautious of paying taxes in an out of state transaction hoping that I get credited.

Again each state is different. I think some states will issue a temporary tag to residences of their state to allow them to get the vehicle home avoiding paying the sales tax in the state they bought it in. But again each state is different.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our coach in Iowa. The dealer charged us a $25 dollar out of state registration fee which included a temporary transit permit.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
If buying a new motorhome the OP should get from the dealer/seller a MSO(manufacturers state of origin). The seller should give the buyer a trip ticket good for x number of days so he can get it out of the state in which he bought it. The buyer then takes the MSO along with the purchase agreement to the CA DMV where he will pay the use tax and in turn will get it registered.

FYI Washington state gives you 3 days to get a purchase out of the state unless you pay WA sales tax
Old 11-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

I don't know of any state that charges sales/use tax that will not credit you the sales/use tax you paid in another state as long as you have proof it was paid. If you paid less that your state charges then they will want the difference.

WA happens to be one state that want's their pound of flesh for up to 10 years so if you live in CA and paid 8% then move to WA 5 years later they'll want the .5% difference you didn't pay.

Now you'll never get the state you purchased in to credit you back the sales/use tax as once they have it they'll keep it. This really doesn't matter however unless the state you live in charges less or no sales/use tax.

All states have limits on how long you can own before becoming residents that they can ask for sales tax if it was never paid. WA, as I said, is ten years, CA is one year, Idaho is 90 days. Those are the only states I've completely researched but I believe most of the others are in the 90 to 180 days range.

With all of the bad things about CA one nice thing is that you can be a resident and purchase out of state and register in CA but keep it out of CA for a year and you don't have to pay sales/use tax.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I don't know of any state that charges sales/use tax that will not credit you the sales/use tax you paid in another state as long as you have proof it was paid.
If you are a resident of Mississippi, Arkansas, or WV and buy a vehicle in FL and need to get a FL temporary tag which will require you to pay the FL tax, you will not get credit in those states: Temporary Tag | FL-DHSMV Answers
Both sold
Old 11-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
If you are a resident of Mississippi, Arkansas, or WV and buy a vehicle in FL and need to get a FL temporary tag which will require you to pay the FL tax, you will not get credit in those states: Temporary Tag | FL-DHSMV Answers
Sounds odd but I'll take your word on it.

I had one thought. What if you purchase the vehicle but don't take it off the lot then process the paperwork at your states DMV then put the plate on the new vehicle. Would you still have to pay sales tax? Might need a couple of Fedex packages.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #25

"I had one thought. What if you purchase the vehicle but don't take it off the lot then process the paperwork at your states DMV then put the plate on the new vehicle. Would you still have to pay sales tax? Might need a couple of Fedex packages. "

All you need is the MSO as I stated above. You might have to pay for the trip ticket but you will not have to pay sales/use tax
Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
I had one thought. What if you purchase the vehicle but don't take it off the lot then process the paperwork at your states DMV then put the plate on the new vehicle. Would you still have to pay sales tax? Might need a couple of Fedex packages.
I've never heard of a MSO. Some states may have that, as far as I know FL doesn't.

What Timon said is what I would do. However some states will issue you a temporary tag in order to get the coach home. FL does but you still have to pay the sales tax. Some states will issue you a temp tag without paying the tax. As I've said before I would investigate before I bought out of state, each state is different.
Both sold
Old 11-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #27

Just speculation here, but if you buy from a dealer, in some states, the dealer may be required to collect the sales tax.
Both sold
Old 11-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #28

"I've never heard of a MSO. Some states may have that, as far as I know FL doesn't."

The state doe not have the MSO. The MSO is originated by the manufacturer and is sent with the new motorhome to the dealer. If you were to register in the state in which you bought, the dealer sends the MSO to the DMV and then you are issued a title. You would never see the MSO unless you requested a copy.

If you purchase a coach and then want to take delivery and register it in your home state, the dealer should give you the MSO so you can go to the DMV in your home state. You would turn that to the state and then they would issue you a title

Tags
california