RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #29

Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The question is in the title, Buying a lot in an RV d.
Buy a lot which you have little or no control, sounds like a great TIME SHARE. Just an opinion.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #30

Visited Suprise last springs on return trip to Ohio, did a tour of Happy Trails, maybe consisting a purchase. If you would like to share any info Bob @ 4403191370 Thanks
frobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The question is in the title, Buying a lot in an RV park.

I looked into buying a lot in the FL. Keys.

I found that the rules are very stringent about what can be on the lot, OR the place look like cluttered mess, with boats, sheds, and cars on every square foot of ground.
We bought a lot on the Oregon coast several years ago. The park is rated a 10, and has some strict HOA rules to keep it that way. We really enjoyed having the place, but sold after buying a place in our RV resort in the California desert.
Expenses, in addition to HOA dues...real estate taxes on the lot, and electric bills. Included in HOA dues was water, sewerhook up and trash emoval from park dumpsters.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #32

There are websites and FB groups where individuals can post their lots for sale or rent. In the then case of FL, I found 5 parks that were interesting to us. Some allow buildings or carports, but we just wanted a place to park so we could just turn the key and go with nothing much to blow away during hurricanes. We also wanted a nice place with some restrictions on what rigs could be there, but not a strict 10yr rule either. Not hoyty toyty, but not a dump either.
The resort in VA runs promotions with trial stays for 1st time visitors of 5 days, 4 nights for $150. All lots are privately owned, but the HOA actively assists people, who want to sell, find buyers. Most owners that want to sell cab put their lots in the program. We stayed for the trial and fell in love with the place. Like our place in FL, Deer Creek, does not have an age limit, but if it's over 12 years old, it has to pass a review by the BOD with set criteria. Our rig is 10 yrs old, so I asked for a review to make sure we would not have issues after we bought.
Both parks are great. We have made more friends in them than we did in20 years at our last S&B. We didn't know it when we bought, but there is another couple that owns lots in both parks as well. We found that we have many interests and friends in common with a lot of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXNEWBIES View Post
Curious as to how you would look for lots to purchase to begin with. Suggestions?
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #33

One other thing to consider in addition to the HOA is what additional expenses will be required in addition to HOA dues. My family owned an RV lot in Florida that was on a man-made island. About 6 years ago an assessment was made to each lot owner to cover rebuilding the entire sea wall. They gave advanced notice and time to prepare but it was still in addition to the HOA fees. Overall, very pleasant experience and one that I look forward to when I retire.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Evening Star" #11290
FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #34

Another tool is to look at Campgroundreviews.com to see what the comments are - if owners are allow to rent out their lots, the park will likely be listed.

I was doing research on a place near our friends' vacation home and saw comments about how owners typically will ignore those who are just renting.

We tried getting setup on a week-long rental for late last year and the property's website was not helpful. Everyone we contacted who in theory was offering rentals either was booked already or holding out for multi-month deals.

I was bummed about not finding a spot, but also worried what it would be like if I purchased a lot and wanted to rent it out?

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
Weird
I am assuming that you are considering the purchase of a lot somewhere....so based on that - here's my 2 cents.
Do whatever you determine is best for you. I've been rving since 1982 when there was no such thing as a site you could own. Now those options are all over the Country. As will almost everything else in life, there's a good and not so good side. But you and only you can decide which way you want to rv. Personally, I have owned in the past at Outdoor Resorts Indio. I loved it. Many many friends some of whom I am in contact with today. Fast forward, death of husband, traveled alone for some yrs, met the man of my dreams, introduced him to the coach and in 3 days we will close on our lot in Golden Palms Resort in Fort Myers. We have been ft for over a yr and now realize that having a home base is what we want. We continue to plan summer trip but will probably just do 4-5 months then return to FL for fall and winter. Want to wish you tons and tons of good luck with whatever your decision might be, just keep on traveling, our Country is not just beautiful but filled with things you never imagined.
sheilaraskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #36

I would think now would be a good time with folks not going to Florida.
If you are thinking long term just make sure the amenities are what you will enjoy and use. What are the annual fees (likely to go up)?
General condition of the park? Do you like the level of "resort"? ie too ritzy or too cheap for your liking?
I bought 6 years ago in AZ during a slump. It's a co-op and very reasonable. And right now very wise since it is 70 and sunny and the electric has not been interrupted.
Good luck.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #37

Short term rentals would be very hard to find in "season". A month minimum but most go for 2 or 3 months. During covid our park requires 3 months and only one per year (season).
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #38
NXR

Are places with owner-owned lots required to have reserve funds like a condo is? I'm guessing this may be a state-specific thing, though.

Ray
Old 02-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Are places with owner-owned lots required to have reserve funds like a condo is? I'm guessing this may be a state-specific thing, though.

Ray

Happy Trails RV Resort in Surprise, AZ is lot owner resort and is HOA. The monthly assessment will be $177 and change starting this May which includes water and sewer. Yes, there is a Reserve fund. $35/month of the monthly assessment goes to Reserve fund. The only other fees we have are electric and LP gas if used.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #40

A co-op in Florida is required to have a reserve fund.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
A co-op in Florida is required to have a reserve fund.
In our park in Florida our governing documents suggest having a reserve fund, and we did have one until the BoD went crazy on a pet project and depleted the entire reserve
Old 02-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think owning a lot is a very personal thing and deals with how YOU RV. We like to travel all over the west and occasionally back east, and we RV we our two grown daughters. Owning an RV lot would limit us to just visiting that lot or we would feel like we're wasting money.

For those that need to get away each year (snowbird), I think an RV lot would be a good choice, so you didn't have to fight to get a reservation.

Now.....if I had unlimited funds, I would buy several lots around where we like to RV and spread our time around.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying