Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #1

A GPS was part of the package with our laptop computer. It is fun to use while traveling but the software supplied is the Microsoft Streets and Trips which has no recreational features such as campgrounds, Nat Parks, State Parks, etc. I know there are other software packages for use with laptops but my computer searches fail to identify them. Can anyone help me on this?
I am using Windows XP if this helps.
Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #2

A GPS was part of the package with our laptop computer. It is fun to use while traveling but the software supplied is the Microsoft Streets and Trips which has no recreational features such as campgrounds, Nat Parks, State Parks, etc. I know there are other software packages for use with laptops but my computer searches fail to identify them. Can anyone help me on this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have the Rand McNally Tripmaker program that works with a GPS. Does not have all the CGs etc, but it does have most.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Microsoft Streets and Trips which has no recreational features such as campgrounds, Nat Parks, State Parks, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sure it does!!! Just go to "View," then "Show or Hide Places," and check the place you do want to see and clear the places you don't want to see. (at least, that's how it works on my current version 2004 and all the previous versions I have owned)
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use the Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator. Go here to see the new 2008 version. For me, the features are just what I need.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
paz

You can get POI map overlays for MS Streets & Trips at the Discovery Owners Association HERE. Scroll about halfway down the page for tutorials on how to load them into the GPS software. The link to the POI files themselves are just below the tutorials.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron and Marsha:
Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Microsoft Streets set up for this is found under Tools/Find Nearby Places or by keying in ctrl/D.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron and Marsha:
Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Microsoft Streets set up for this is found under Tools/Find Nearby Places or by keying in ctrl/D. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One neat feature of this is that you can by using the pull down at the bottom of the nearby places menu opt to search for places(campgrounds) within a short distance of your route, any leg of your route or any planned stops on your route.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #9

Thanks for all the useful info. It sounds as if my learning curve needs to be "upped" some on the software I possess.
On a trip to VA I thought I had done some of what Neal suggested, but apparently not.
Neal, does this software also show the Fed and Nat campgrounds? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd echo PAZ's suggestion about the POIs from Discovery Owners site. I use it all the time. There are some National parks (not all) but there is an extensive set of State Park POIs. The ones for Texas, for example, do a great job.

Another consideration is Corps of Engineers parks. Discovery Owners also has COE locations and we've found them every bit as good (if not superior in some cases) the the State Parks. On Lake Whitney in Texas, the COE park on the south side is better than the the State Park, IMHO.

The best part of the POIs is that they are free, though a donation is requested.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Microsoft's Streets & Trips does have campgrounds built into the program. As one of the other posts stated make sure they are turned on. However, the problem is about 85% of them are in the wrong locations. Somehow the latitude/longitude data Microsoft received for the campgrounds was off by quite abit. This actually happened in the 2007 release of the program and Microsoft failed to correct it in the 2008 version. If you do a little searching you can find the locations and then just double click on the icon for a particular campground and go by the address in the text.

Hopefully they'll get it corrected in the next release.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #12

We like the new Trailer life CD, ties intothe GPS, you can plan your route, log your expenses etc. Even load photos for a trip log. We used the 2005 one before that and this new one seems 100% better. East search functions and for trip routing the 2008 cd can be set for height, width, length etc...
Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Camping Dutchman... how long ago did you receive the 2008 version? I mailed in my upgrade mailer when they sent them out a some months ago, but I've never received the upgrade.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Your S&T software does list campgrounds and state and nat'l parks pretty well. You don't have it set up correctly would be my guess. I have S&T 2007 and it does a pretty good job listing the campgrounds.

Luck to you

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote