Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Can I run my gas generator all night non stop with a/c on?

Hi fellow RVers, this is my first post to this forum. I hope I'm not breaking any rules (if so please advise me). I have a question... can I run my gas generator in my class A motorhome all night long with some lights TV and our A/C on as well. At bedtime useing only clock and A/C. We have never tried dry camping and may try somewhere tomorrow night, but I don't want to burn up my generator in the process. If you have experience please advise me of the do's and don'ts of running my generator. Thank You!
Tom & Kathy
Mesa AZ
2005 Nat'l Dolphin 5342 LE
Currently in Alabama on the way to Florida on Monday.
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

We use ours for days at a time run everything like normal just make sure you have more than a quarter of a tank of gas as some generators have a cutoff at a quarter of a tank make sure your windows are closed and the ac is on and enjoy
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 2004 I ran our generator for 6 days stright 24 hrs. a day. We had 4 storms one after another and no electric in the house. I did open the cargo door so it got all the air it needed.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two answers... Many campgrounds limit generator use at night, usually after 10 or 11 pm they say SHUT THEM OFF.

The other answer is YES, and YES But.. Provided you are not breaking any noise rules.

BUT... You may not wake up in the morning.

Many RV's the way the generator is mounted and plumbed (Exhaust) exhaust can seep into the rig, and hardly a year goes by we don't read of someone who after running a generator all night failed to wake up in the morning.

On my coach, 2 hours was the limit when new before the CO alarm did what it's designed to go (Get very annoying).. I put a Gen-Turi generator exhaust extension on it and have since done some 25 hour runs with no annoying beep beep beep from the co detector. and I woke up in the morning too, as you can clearly see. (Not posting from "Golden.gates.com" or like)
Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All of the advice above is excellent. A good CO alarm is a must. Generators were made to run. Whenever I start moving the generator is up and running and stays running until we hook up to shore power which is not necessarily every night. The important thing is to ensure you have some kind of load on it. It is not good for the generator to run in an open field (no electrical device online).
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. You've gotten good advice.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I run mine as necessary and as rules/laws permit. I have run mine 72 hours straight. Genny likes to run. Run it.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I was going to run the generator while sleeping, I would install a couple of more good quality CO detectors in the RV. Also, diredt the exhaust up and away from the RV...like a Genturi.

I would not take a chance on not waking up.

Every few years there is a death at the Houston Rodeo where someone was sleeping in their RV in the parking lot with the generator running.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
remember to check the oil
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more comment: Many RVers go for years without starting the generator, Then when they need it.. No joy.

How I do it, Roughly the 1st of every month I will run it for at least 1/2 hour, usually while going from point A to point B (That is driving) under at least 1/2 load. Summer time I hit the Air conditioenrs, Winter, it's space heaters.. but the idea is 1/2 hour under 1/2 load every month.

Why about the first.. Well if the first is a Sunday,, Well.. I usually drive the house on Sunday.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Hello fellow travelers, just wanted to pop in and say a sincere THANK YOU for all the great information. We did our first dry camping and everything went great. We are enjoying our trip to Florida and are currently staying in Stagecoach RV park in St. Augustine. We did not have WiFi for quite awhile... that's why the long delay to say Thank You to ya'all.
Tom & Kathy
Mesa Arizona
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd85208 View Post
Hello fellow travelers, just wanted to pop in and say a sincere THANK YOU for all the great information. We did our first dry camping and everything went great. We are enjoying our trip to Florida and are currently staying in Stagecoach RV park in St. Augustine. We did not have WiFi for quite awhile... that's why the long delay to say Thank You to ya'all.
Tom & Kathy
Mesa Arizona
Did you run the gen all night ??
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #13

You should try the state park in St Augustine! We stayed there a few nights in April and didn't want to leave.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome. There shouldn't be any problem running the generator but as mentioned be sure to have an operating CO detector on board.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator