Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #1

Canít retract my door awning

Good morning. I wanted to repaint the end caps over my door because they are no longer black. I took out 3 screws from the right side and 5 from the left side of my Carefree Awning. I didnít realize at the time that 2 of the 5 on the left side were for the motor. I was able to get the 2 screws back on the left side to reattach the motor to the cap, but now I canít the cap on the right side back on. Now I canít get the silver casing that the material is wrapped around to match up with a black cap on the left side. It looks as if both the cap and casing have small notches that need to match up so that the casing fits in the housing attached to the motorhome so I can get the end cap back on. The next problem is getting it retracted so I can travel. We are currently in vacation in Sevierville, TN.
Marlicali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

Download these

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xj3IL...sM68J?e=UDe4ng

I suspect you have moved the motor or the tube and it is now just a bit of out of alignment.

You may already have figured things out but it sounds like you want to hit the road.

Working on this from a ladder or the roof can be tricky and sometimes dangerous.

If you have not discovered you may be able to lift the whole assembly up away from the rv a bit, tilting it up a bit. Then slide it towards the front to remove it. Be careful, it is a bit heavier than you might expect.

You might have to cut the wires and tape them back being careful to not let them retreat into the hole.

Once you can get it on a table it is much easier and safer to work on.

If you have turned the motor so it is not back in the precise location it was it may need to be readjusted if it is like mine. This can be tricky and having the long plastic allen tool really makes things easier but it can be done with a regular one.

You really have to be careful working from a ladder. I said that I know. If you unconnect the thing it can spring outward and knock you off the ladder.

All of this is guessing without a picture.

The symptom of not opening or closing, (either way) sounds like the motor did get turned and now thinks it is at its end of travel.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Thank you, I will try and send a picture when I get back to the RV., we are out and about right now. I was hoping we could do it without taking it down. We are the second owner and I don’t have the tool you mentioned.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
YC1

You won't need the tool to get the job done, it is just easier. It is a standard allen wrench.

You don't have to remove it to adjust it either.

I hope the attachments are the right ones for yours. There is an excellent one on adjusting the thing.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #5

Photo

This is the problem we are encountering. Because we canít get it to fit correctly we arenít able to screw in the right end cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8F87943-0647-4D2D-B236-CA3C23E5102F.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	346527  
Old 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlicali View Post
This is the problem we are encountering. Because we canít get it to fit correctly we arenít able to screw in the right end cap.

Looks like motor needs to go in tube further, wire sure is twisted up also.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
YC1

Definitely looks like the motor is not fully inserted into the tube.

Looks to be about 1/2 inch off.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:09 AM   #8

OMG! I was working on my awning from atop a ladder. While applying force, I slipped and my weight shifted causing the ladder and I to pitch to the side… just as we were about to pass the point of no return I was able to gain my balance and bring it back to upright.
Had it completed it’s lateral swing I would have gone over a 4ft wall and landed on a row of concrete wire mesh leaning against a wire fence. I would have been hurt badly!
Always have a secure ladder and preferably another person holding it!
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
OMG! I was working on my awning from atop a ladder. While applying force, I slipped and my weight shifted causing the ladder and I to pitch to the sideÖ just as we were about to pass the point of no return I was able to gain my balance and bring it back to upright.
Had it completed itís lateral swing I would have gone over a 4ft wall and landed on a row of concrete wire mesh leaning against a wire fence. I would have been hurt badly!
Always have a secure ladder and preferably another person holding it!
I mentioned this earlier so am glad you chimed in as well.

If the awning decides to unfurl because you remove the motor it has quite a push to it. The manual states to use a rope to keep it safe. A bunjie is not safe to use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning safely tied.pdf (517.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I mentioned this earlier so am glad you chimed in as well.

If the awning decides to unfurl because you remove the motor it has quite a push to it. The manual states to use a rope to keep it safe. A bunjie is not safe to use.

When my awning shot out like a bat wing on the highway I used a big zip tie.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #11

Thank you!!!!

Good afternoon to everyone that chimed in. We were able to get the motor positioned just right into the sleeve. Weíre extremely thankful
for ALL YOUR ASSISTANCE, and we didnít have to take it off the bus. My husband will have to get on the ladder once we return home from our trip, to paint the left hand side end cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17C69DC1-F34C-460F-ADF8-EF50ADF5B50C.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	346732  

Tags
awning, door