Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Carefree awning wont latch

my awning is a spirit model and it doesn't always retract to the locked position there fore im always putting Velcro straps to hold it while driving called care free they say i need to tighten the spring ive been trying to get my end caps of to tighten no luck yet mainly ive been worried they say use visegrips to hold it well it has to be a big pair then imo also when removing the front cap did you have to disconnect the locking mechanism ? carefree says no ! but i know the girls im talikng to have never doe the job before either !
also do you take the ends off when it was rolled in or out ? i have the spirit model !i figure there has to be some body that has tackled this before also any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #2

When I helped my cousin tighten his awning we disassembled part of the arm and rotated it instead of trying vicegrips.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
please explain in more detail are you saying remove legs out then wind? you did it when it was out then ? did it work well ?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

We extended the awning and set it on a ladder.Then disconnected the leg from the motorhome and removed the lower section and top spreader.That left a 4'lever to wind the spring.
BOB
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks bob ! did it help when u did this ? how many turns did you do ? as i think about it you would think that carefree would tell you to do that versus pulling the end off ! makes more sense and a lot more safer ! i hope that thats what i need they said to go in like 2 more turns each side ! does it just come apart ?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

2 turns would probably be sufficent. Keep in mind what ever method you use to be careful that the tool/awning arm does not get away from you. I use a 2 foot breaker bar and a tool I welded from a socket wrench. Not as much problem as using the awning arm but for a first timer the arm method is probably safer. If you over tighten the spring it could break and then you have to replace the whole spring end assy. $$$.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what im having a problem with is taking the ends off without having the right tool it makes you a little nervous yanking it off
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #8

When you say ends what are you trying to remove?The ends hold the spring tension.The one I was working on they were pop riveted in place.The tension in the wound spring can do serious damage if not controlled.
BOB
Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #9

I just googled carefree awning repair and found a site with a catalog blowup showing what you are dealing with.I think it was PPL .
BOB
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the ends im talking about have just the 1 screw in them that holds it in place