Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree of Colorado

When we purchased our MH, the awning motor was removed and a new motor was on order from Carefree. Well, it's been 5 months and still no part. I tried looking for info on Carefree of Colorado but their website is down so today I called them and found that their whole system is down and they are not shipping parts until it is fixed. Just kind of venting, we are probably not going to have an awning for the rest of this season anyway.

Happy Camping!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKimmel View Post
When we purchased our MH, the awning motor was removed and a new motor was on order from Carefree. Well, it's been 5 months and still no part. I tried looking for info on Carefree of Colorado but their website is down so today I called them and found that their whole system is down and they are not shipping parts until it is fixed. Just kind of venting, we are probably not going to have an awning for the rest of this season anyway.

Happy Camping!

Let me guess camping world ordered it.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #3

Always remember, in their chain of supply, the last link in the chain is in China.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #4

Their website has been down since Sunday, maybe even longer. Do not know what the problem is but that is a giant problem for a business.
Offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #5

Took me 7 weeks to get springs, but without notice they arrived. Went on the website and the status on my order had changed to shipped. They are alive, just in a pickle for labor and supplies.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What you are experiencing is starting to be the norm with many companies. The supply chain is broken. Ships anchored off the California coast that can't unload because there are no truckers to move the freight presently stacked up in the ship yards.

Even when the manufacturers can get parts and materials, they can't get workers to build or even ship parts. If anyone thinks waiting 7 or 8 weeks for a part is bad, just wait a few months and see how bad it is then.

I think we'll all be feeling the same pain in the near future.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #7

Many versions on ebay

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No, it was ordered by the local RV repair shop that my neighbor's cousin owns. One of the reasons we bought this coach was because we know who has been maintaining it.
I've never even been inside a camping world.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
Their website has been down since Sunday, maybe even longer. Do not know what the problem is but that is a giant problem for a business.
The lady at Carefree that I spoke with said the website is part of the same problem and that when the website is back up they will be back in business. Tough spot for a company like that to be in with all of the supply chain issues to boot.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also amazing to me is that with todays retail computer systems, (they) cannot sell anything using pencil/ paper (for computer entry at another time); clerks cannot count 12= dozen, of give proper change for cash unless the screen tells them how much. It was hinted 10-20-yrs ago for all private industry to develop Disaster Recovery Plans, but as a plan writer, (we) could not imagine/ forecast today's events, or devise feasible work-arounds? I suspect we could today write much better plans? Certainly much easier today to envision/ document possible problems to be addressed? We could not imagine back then the problems we are encountering today? I NEVER would have imagined the politics?
Old 10-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've ordered a replacement awning through Rev, who sources from Carefree, back in January. I keep calling every month, and each time they push out the potential ship date another month, sometimes 2. 9 months and still counting.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #12

I've had my own issues with Carefree. I decided to replace my old awning that was deteriorating with a new TravelR from Carefree. I worked with a lady there to order new side arms and a new longer awning. I knew they were behind and I wasn't in a real hurry..

When I ordered the new length I got a receipt that had part numbers and no real details.. Everything was in writing thru email so I wasn't really concerned. The lady seemed very competent and thorough.

Ii expected to get a tracking number when it was shipped. I didn't.. The first I knew my order had been shipped was when the trucking company called me to arrange delivery. I was out of town. We arranged delivery the next week.

I live on rural property and have lots of things to do when I'm home so it then took me a couple of weeks to get around to installing the new awning. So I took the old one down, including the arms and motor head and started putting up the new one. I put up the front arm and slid the new awning which was on the round roller. To my dismay it was 5" to short. I have a 2010 Winnebago View 24j with the outside hatch that opens into the bed compartment.. I don't have 5" to adjust and make do.. An inch but not 5. This was a little over two weeks ago.

So I emailed them. No response. I gave them a day. On Friday afternoon I tried to call them. Got a busy signal that suggested that the circuits were down? On Monday I tried again, then again on Tuesday, then on Wednesday I got their answering service. I left a message.. This was a week later. I have searched the web for information on what was going on.. I can find nothing..

I called back on Thursday and left a message that I wanted a call back. In an hour I got a call that said they were down and expected things to return to normal shortly and I would be taken care of. Over the week end I discovered their FB page was still up so I left a message there. Someone responded and I left them my phone number. They called and gave me the same story. Everyone I talked to was nice but?? no real answers as to what was going on..

This last Tuesday I was talking to my wife about calling the credit card company and seeing about getting my money back.. funny thing, in about an hour, before I called the CC, a man called and asked me which awning I was having problems with? I had ordered a topper replacement too. I assured him it was the large one and went over the size issue again. Again he reassured me they would get me taken care of soon.. And they would let me know by email as soon as the replacement was shipped.

Over two weeks now their web site is still down and I have received no emails from them..

Anyone got any ideas what's actually going on?

Something outside this, I hope.. I found out during my extensive research into this, I found out that Berkshire Hathaway is now the owner of Carefree. I have followed Buffet's MO and he buys companies and cuts costs to improve his profits. He is not a builder. He is a Vampire Squid. I don't know if that has had anything to do with this or not.
VagabondDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You can buy compatible motors on Amazon or Ebay. It's basically just a power window motor. The motor for my Carefree Eclipse was Dorman Part #742-141
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You can buy compatible motors on Amazon or Ebay. It's basically just a power window motor. The motor for my Carefree Eclipse was Dorman Part #742-141
I may have to do something like that eventually, but I didn't order the part so I don't know how I would get a refund.

Something is very strange for a company to be basically shut down for weeks with no real explanation.

Tags
colorado, free