Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Carpenter ants

Been seeing a few BIG black ants hanging around the inside of the MH.
Exterminator said they most sprays don't work on them.
Anybody have any experience with this type ant.
Thankd
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
Thankd
Your pest control operator is right. As one with 30 years in the field, I don't want to scare you BUT there is another factor to consider other than killing the ants, and that is: "Why are they there?" Carpenter ants do not have the physical strength to hollow out sound wood. (They don't eat wood but rather use it for nesting.) They can start only in water damaged and weakened wood, at first.

This wood may or may not be in your RV as they will range widely and have satellite nests. But I would check carefully for wet wood (leak) in the RV.

By the way, they can be difficult to control, and it may be cheaper in the long run to let a professional control the ants.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

I carry Bug Spray sold at Lowes/Home Depot. If I detect any ants in my campsite I spray all around my tires and jacks. Seems to keep them out of my Motorhome. If campground rules prohibit spraying anything, I do it when the sun goes down.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Get ahead start on killing them now! We got them in our gasser back in the 90's and they will tear styrofoam insulation to shreads, not to mention just being in the way. Don't remermber what made them die but we won that battle, now the DW's coffee creamer attracts sugar ants and I have found home defense works great, but must be reapplied at each new CG.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Someone told me years ago to spread corn meal about as the ants cant digest it and it kills them...Don't know if it was for all ants....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #6

If you're not a full timer and you and the DW can be without it a couple of days, remove any and all food and dishes and set off a couple of Bug Bombs and make sure they're for any and all ants. Of course afterwards you'll need to the through cleaning of the rig and have the structure checked to be sure there's no damage! Good Luck.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #7

Best solution.... go on ebay and buy the gel that kills them. I had MASSIVE infestation in my shed of carpenter ants. I bought the professional gel that was sold on ebay. I comes in a syringe tube. You just leave dabs all over and they find it and eat it and die, BUT they bring some back to the Queen so the entire colony dies...
Markrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #8

Ants

Have read good stuff about Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel. I guess that's whatnMark is referring to. Ordered some a bit ago..will report a review.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the little sugar ants go after anything that has food stuff. But the carpenter ants look for Wet WOOD and then start nesting. look for WHY they find your unit an attraction 1st. once you determine the entry port you can go about fixing, sealing chemical treating that area. Spray stuff or fogging works only where you can get into the immediate area of infestation. I had a bunch of the carpenter ants in a utility building. why? Over hanging tree branches touching the roof. Once on the roof they found entry around one of the vents were moisture was present. they actually ate a better part of a 2 x 8 joist. So, get under your unit on top of your unit and find a wet place that may attract them. good hunting ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
Thankd
try Diatomaceous earth from a farm or animal feed store. it works for us and it does not hurt pets.

Diatomaceous Earth: Organic Pest Control for Home & Garden
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #11

Red face

Another extreme pest showing up is the "Tawny Crazy Ant". They don't bite, but infest homes and offices (nesting in walls), love anything electronic, and will drive out fireants! They also don't respond to typical ant sprays.
We had a huge infestation at work - IT, Lower basement. The maintenance guys srayed but it took several days to kill them all.
These ants don't move in the thin regimented lines other ants do (following the predecessor's pheromone trails), they move randomly and are tough sometimes to catch and squish!
They are spreading in the southeast.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #12

We fought carpenter ants for almost a year...sprays, bombs, powders...we could knock them down, but not out. In Vermont we called a professional...they trapped some, inspected the bodies so they knew exactly what they were dealing with, then set out traps in the coach and the bays. Two weeks later...all dead...two months later, still no sign of them. The owner of the company told me the product they used was a new product that was only available to the industry...previously you had to find the nest and treat it directly.

Good luck...as previously noted, they will eat the heck out of your foam insulation.

Jim
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Your pest control operator is right. As one with 30 years in the field, I don't want to scare you BUT there is another factor to consider other than killing the ants, and that is: "Why are they there?" Carpenter ants do not have the physical strength to hollow out sound wood. (They don't eat wood but rather use it for nesting.) They can start only in water damaged and weakened wood, at first.

This wood may or may not be in your RV as they will range widely and have satellite nests. But I would check carefully for wet wood (leak) in the RV.

By the way, they can be difficult to control, and it may be cheaper in the long run to let a professional control the ants.
They got into a neighbors house behind his vinyl siding. They were eating/ nesting in the particle board. It was water soaked from not having a drip edge above the garage door brick molding!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
try Diatomaceous earth from a farm or animal feed store. it works for us and it does not hurt pets.

Diatomaceous Earth: Organic Pest Control for Home & Garden
D.E. is also available at most swimming pool supply stores ... it's used in a D.E. type filter. It's very effective for fleas and bedbugs too ... also for armadillos (dump some in the hole).