Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone ever use a carpet shampoo machine to clean carpets in RV...If so...what are the pros / cons and the results

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone ever use a carpet shampoo machine to clean carpets in RV...If so...what are the pros / cons and the results

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I realize it's not a "Machine", but check out the "Capture" cleaning system available at Loews, Sears and others. It's a dry powder, spread out and brushed into the carpet. Let it sit 30 minutes and vacuum. I find this a lot less mess and does a good job. If the carpet is really dirty, you can use their preclean mist spray.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
I realize it's not a "Machine", but check out the "Capture" cleaning system available at Loews, Sears and others. It's a dry powder, spread out and brushed into the carpet. Let it sit 30 minutes and vacuum. I find this a lot less mess and does a good job. If the carpet is really dirty, you can use their preclean mist spray.

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similar is Host:

http://www.hostcarpetcleaning.com/di...s_services.htm

The host machine that I have used is also a decent pile lifter and can rejuvinate matted down areas.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:54 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a home carpet cleaner that I have used a few times in the MH. It works fine, the only issue is cleaning when you can leave the rig open and stay off the carpets until they are dry. Other than that, no real issues.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:04 AM   #6

I use a Bissell Quicksteamer, It seems to work well and if you go slow it sucks most of the excess moisture out of the carpet along with the dirt. Do it on a nice summer or spring day and it will dry fairly quickly. You can take the DW shopping while it drys. I'm sure she will appreciate that.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBBEEBOP:
I use a Bissell Quicksteamer, It seems to work well and if you go slow it sucks most of the excess moisture out of the carpet along with the dirt. Do it on a nice summer or spring day and it will dry fairly quickly. You can take the DW shopping while it drys. I'm sure she will appreciate that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While your out shopping pick up a couple of small fans, if you don't have them already, and set them out blowing accross the carpet to speed up the drying process. If you took your time extracting the water with the machine you can get it dry in an hour or so.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I use my Bissel steam cleaner vac several times a year in the coach. Afterwards I run the A/C and it dries it all up quickly. Even has the hose attachment for the forward drivers compartment, and also use it on the upholstery.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I now have pink carpet in my brown M. H. thanks to the rug doctor. The people who rented
me the machine failed to clean out the red dye from the previous renter Now I am looking at replacing all of my carpet.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #10

How about cleaning a carpet stain from moisture around ceiling air conditioners....any ideas that work?
Rexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thmdamit:
I now have pink carpet in my brown M. H. thanks to the rug doctor. The people who rented
me the machine failed to clean out the red dye from the previous renter Now I am looking at replacing all of my carpet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Typical of a used car dealer trying to get a car with a faded carpet ready for sale. What did the rental dealer have to say? Any offers of assistance from them?

Anything I can think of to help remove the dye would probably substatially reduce the lifespan of the carpet.

One more good reason to test in an obscure spot before using anything on your whole carpet especially when using rented or borrowed equipment.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #12

Howdy!

On several occasions we have rented a Rug Doctor machine from Safeway to clean our carpet in the 5er we fulltime in. Works great!

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW (and I when caught) uses the Rainbow Vac with carpet cleaner attachment in both the stick and RV. It's not cheap, but no other cleans like it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote