Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Carrier AC's and was wondering if anyone added a heat strip to theirs and where you got it done and at what cost.
Thanks
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Carrier AC's and was wondering if anyone added a heat strip to theirs and where you got it done and at what cost.
Thanks
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just installed two new Carrier AC units with the heat strip option. You can do the heat strip option yourself as long as the inside ceiling unit is the heat/cool model. If the inside unit is not a heat/cool model then you will have to replace the inside ceiling unit with the heat/cool model. If you have the heat/cool model it is a simple install of the heating unit, two sheet metal screws and plug the unit in and you are done. If you have to replace the inside unit it is a little more involved, removing the old ceiling unit and installing a new one, but if you are inclined to do the work yourself it isn't difficult. Ceiling assembly with the heat strip option is about $120. Just the heat strip option for the heat/cool ceiling assembly is about $100.

John
Old 09-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks jmeritt, I did'nt think about that. I doubt if I have the heat/ cool model. Just the original 13500 ducted AC's. I don't think my remote controls have a heat setting either.
I'll check that out but maybe I'll wait til the AC unit goes out and then replace it.
How do you like the Carrier AC's? Ducted? How about the heat? Work good? Noisy?
Denver, Colorado
Old 09-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Max,

I thought your AC units were not ducted my mistake. I am pretty sure the heat strip option is only available for the non-ducted models, which are what my AC units are. Haven't used the heat strip yet but on my previous TT I had the same Carrier unit and the heat strip worked well. The Carriers seem to blow with more force on low than my Colemans did so the low speed air noise is a little higher but then again the Coleman's were three speeds as opposed to the Carrier two speeds. I like the Carriers, I think they are more efficient than the Coleman and maybe the Duo-Therm standards.

John
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
max49......I put a heat strip in a Carrier unit several years ago. I was disappointed with it's performance. The problem was that you have to turn the fan motor on med to high to force air over the heating strip and heat the RV. The fan defeats the heat strip. The heat strips are just not powerfull enough. I also felt uncomfortable having that hot strip running in the plastic unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote