Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
SO much depends on what you do, where you go, what you have....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #58

So much depends on what you have, like the difference between a motorhome and a tow behind trailer.

Being in a motorhome forum, I posted my opinion about a motorhome.

If I was pulling a trailer without a built in generator, I would carry a portable.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So much depends on what you have, like the difference between a motorhome and a tow behind trailer.

Being in a motorhome forum, I posted my opinion about a motorhome.

If I was pulling a trailer without a built in generator, I would carry a portable.
Agree, I was leaning towards the vast difference in use..

Some have no bounds on expense, some are misers, some just want to RV on budgets or practical.. some have the big show but run lean or easy.. others ,,,, blah blah..

I am one of the odd balls.. If I boondock, and solar aint enough,,,my portable is my friend.. Some times filling up gas prior to a stay in mid summer and I have Genny needs at 24/7 for AC, I can use 10+ gallon a day on onan vs 5-6 on my 3500.. I can draw 30-35 gallons of gas before I done,,
Again if I had a 200K RV, diesel with QD genny , 100 gallon fuel ,, if I afford that setup, burn it up, call out have someone bring me fuel or take the toad out and gather some up.. blah blah.

If I just needed the CPAP on and stay quiet etc..

Heck most look for a Park and plug in..

Traveling to offroad motorsport events with hundreds of RV's on weekends.. I would say half or better have a 2000 watt or even a Predator 3500 running even with onboard systems..

My last 3 fall weather trips I enjoyed my new solar.. One nite I ran genny for 2 hours since we had a ovecast 2 days prior.. plus wife wanted to use micrwav..
Situation, use etc..

This year I wil have longer trips maybe PA to Arizona, Iowa, Idaho and eastern coast.. 16-19K in miles planned... My old RV may need retirement after 2022.. LOL

Great people and info here....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:25 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
Oh you'll need that stuff alright, it's just a matter of when. Let's just look at emergencies. Emergencies happen all the time, many times without warning and come in many different flavors. Remember what happened to millions of households and 10's of 1,000's of RVer's last winter in Texas? West coast rolling blackouts, forest fires, camp grounds running at full capacity and stressing out their power grid, etc. And the way things are going in our country right now, the days of having consistent, reliable power sources are ever more being at risk.

In the past, I learned to be prepared as a boy scout. Then the military took it to a whole new level. IMO, being over prepared for different situations is necessary and especially if your a FTer. Those that FT and don't think it's necessary are living on borrowed time IMO. My favorite saying that I picked up from a friend of mine is, "Everything is just fine the way it is............until it's not.

One of the dumbest things I see practically every year is when there's a hurricane threatening the US coast somewhere. You see the same footage every time on TV. People lining up to buy water, batteries, flash lights, plywood, food, generators can't be found anywhere, lines at the gas stations and on and on. When you live in these hurricane prone areas—which I did for 35yrs.—you don't wait till a hurricane is on the horizon to get prepared. You prepare BEFORE hurricane season even starts. In my world, FTing in a RV is exactly the same thing. You need to be prepared all the time because you don't know what tomorrow will bring as you travel.

The only thing I would of done different than you is I wouldn't of bought the 4500W Westinghouse Digital Inverter Generator @ 105 lbs. I bought a Honda 2200i. It weighs in @ 60 lbs. Plenty of power and much easier to move around. We're getting older and we don't need to hurt ourselves. I also have many other redundant power sources. I learned to have several contingency plans in the military and it has served me well.

So I think your on the right track
I couldn't agree more Mr T, having close to three decades of active duty under my belt and the experience gained has served me well in retirement. Been through lengthy power outages, huge snow dumps, (lake effect country off Lake Erie) etc etc. I keep two 30lb propane tanks stored in my out building along with 50 gallons of non-ethanol fuel should I need to run my two gen sets for a prolonged period. If that ever catches fire yikes!! We as well keep our basement pantry well stocked with non-perishables that we rotate on a regular basis along with two sealed containers of 25 year shelf life survival food. What I didn't mention is what I have available to defend me, my DW, and my property!
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:38 AM   #61

Seen many tests on all newer inv. gennies. The Westinghouse running at under 3000 watt it will be pretty quite . You should test it before warranty runs out all the new China inv. gennies seems by reviews to be 1out 4 may have some small issue to resolve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystiquera View Post
We bought our Heartland North Trail one year ago and I am still trying to learn enough to one day boondock.

In order to be ready to boondock, even if only at a Walmart, I purchased a 4500W Westinghouse Digital Inverter Generator. But, I worried that wouldn't be quiet enough (haven't used it yet and haven't even opened it up yet). So, I also got a Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 1000, 1002Wh Solar Generator and a Jackery SolarSaga 100W Portable Solar Panel (Foldable US Solar Cell Solar Charger with USB Outputs for Phones with 3x110V/1000W AC Outlets, Solar Mobile Lithium Battery Pack for Outdoor RV/Van Camping).

Since I don't really know what I am doing, I am wondering if with everyone's answers here, maybe I bought all this stuff and don't need it? Remember, I don't have an onboard generator.

What do you think?
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator