Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #29

You know...almost every time I get on these forums I learn something.

Yes, I have a spare. It's a rather worn looking tire. I haven't 'touched it' since I bought the rig 4 years ago.

Do I have the tools to change it? Hmm..no.

Could I change it? Hmm, not sure.

Am I going to figure out how to change it and be sure the tire is inflated and make sure I have all the tools? Yes!!

After reading all these post I 100% will carry it and the tools, and if for some reason I am unable to do it myself, perhaps a kind stronger, younger fellow RVer will help out.

Man...the things I learn here...awesome!

Oh, and on my rig my tires are just 16" so other than having no idea how to change an inside dually I 'think' I can at least do the front and outside rear tires.

Thanks again.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #31

My old coach was a 2000 37g Adventurer with 19.5 tires. I had a spare tire underneath. We blew a tire in New Brunswick. We changed the tire ourselves, and proceeded to call ahead to tire shops enroute to find one to replace our spare. Three cities and a day later, we finally found a shop that had one. When they blew the dust off of it, I checked the date code. It was already five years old. After having travelled that far to find it, I bought it anyway. I didnt want to go any further without a spare after having that much trouble finding one. Cant imagine if we had been on the side of the road without a spare. As stated, if you travel off the beaten path, best have one. We werent even off the beaten path too far.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
How the heck do you get it on and off the roof?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I’m a emergency roadside service and credit card guy......along with periods of stupidity. My luck, it would be a dark night, rainy, muddy, narrow road, and I’d have a flat. If I had a spare, I would try to change it. I’m better off with out one.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I’m a emergency roadside service and credit card guy......along with periods of stupidity. My luck, it would be a dark night, rainy, muddy, narrow road, and I’d have a flat. If I had a spare, I would try to change it. I’m better off with out one.

Then your plan should include being prepared to spending the night on the sloped shoulder of a road in break down mode. Which means no slideouts and dealing with the rocking motion from passing vehicles. Even inside lights on would attract lookers and cause potential accidents, so no lights on inside. Carry safety triangles or flares.
Just think through a emergency plan and be ready to use it. It's not as simple as a phone call and a CC. Your immediate death risk is quadrupled sitting on the side of a road, the shorter the time spent there the better.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

Then your plan should include being prepared to spending the night on the sloped shoulder of a road in break down mode. Which means no slideouts and dealing with the rocking motion from passing vehicles. Even inside lights on would attract lookers and cause potential accidents, so no lights on inside. Carry safety triangles or flares.
Just think through a emergency plan and be ready to use it. It's not as simple as a phone call and a CC. Your immediate death risk is quadrupled sitting on the side of a road, the shorter the time spent there the better.
Dang it all guys! STOP!!! My Amazon Cart is overflowing with ALL the stuff I never thought of! I'm going to have to take a 2nd mortgage out on my S&B just make sure I've got all my bases covered!...sigh..

In all honesty, this is very helpful and making me actually THINK instead of being so laid back.

If any of those situations arose, I would NOT be in a good place.

I have no flares
I have no triangle warning signs
I have a spare but most likely no tools to R&R a flat.
No CB radio to call for help.
I probably could go on and on..but I won't.

But at least I now KNOW and will fix these things as time and money allows.

Man..can't believe how lax I've been about safety. Thanks again IRV2 folks!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TriMoot"......In your case, I would and did carry a spare on a rim, because it was something that most anyone can change with some basic tools. When you're talking about changing a 22.5 tire, it's a whole different story. I wouldn't even try changing one, but having an unmounted spare, a credit card and roadside assistance would work well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"TriMoot"......In your case, I would and did carry a spare on a rim, because it was something that most anyone can change with some basic tools. When you're talking about changing a 22.5 tire, it's a whole different story. I wouldn't even try changing one, but having an unmounted spare, a credit card and roadside assistance would work well.
Yes, I can't imagine trying to change a 22.5 tire..aren't they extremely heavy? I think I saw somewhere on this site it could be over 150 lbs? Crazy.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #38

A mounted 22.5 is probably 150 lbs but you are not ever supposed to be picking it up if you are doing things right. You use a tire tool/ crow bar to lift it on or off of the lug nuts. When laying it down or flipping it over you are only lifting half the weight so it should be less than 80 lbs. There is no great strength or black magic involved in changing a tire on a 22.5 rim.

Here a guy does it in about 5 minutes and he is not really trying to hustle much it seems.

SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #39

I carry spare.
Many truck shops don’t have the 22.5 tire most big rigs are bigger than 22.5.
If it’s a holiday weekend or late night. You could be waiting a long while for them to find a tire. If you have rim damage then your really stranded.
Took one 8 hr wait on side of highway on holiday weekend for me to get the spare.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Carrying a spare is wasting space and adding weight. I prefer roadside assistance and credit cards.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #41

I have removed all of the 22.5 tires on my Discovery. With some relatively inexpensive tools it is doable. I use a torque multiplier, and a tire/wheel dolly. Using the tire dolly makes the job of removing and reinstalling the wheel much easier.
https://www.amazon.com/Esco-ESC70130...R7KFHPNA80BZD1
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrennan3 View Post
Interested in how many folks carry a spare tire and rim and why.

We just bought our rig and it has one but takes up SOOO much precious space in our basement. Previous owner bought it for AK trip which I can see making sense. Wondering if I’d ever use in lower 50.

I also have Tyron bands on fronts so seems like even if a blowout would not use the spare. Always need to call a tire truck / company anyway.

Looking for some thoughts. I really want the space but don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish on my first long trip.
I personally carry one because I have heard some horror stories about roadside service overcharging (sometimes more than double) for tires. Most roadside assistance programs cover the service to come out...but they don't regulate what you are charged for the tire.

As far as the basement space problems go here is my solution.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Happy travels!