Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carrying a ladder

No way I am going to use ladder on back of rig. Not meant to hold 350lbs. I have a Little Giant type ladder I used with my 5th wheel. I do not have pass thru storage on this rig, so I plan on hanging the ladder on the coach ladder. I have looked at using a bike/chair carrier, but wondered if anyone has done it and how. Was also thinking of bending some flat bar to make a holder.

Ideas?????

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see several doing it that way and used to carry a step ladder that way myself.

Wound up doing some damage to the factory ladder and decided to trash it..

Had a body man make up a pair of "J" hooks,, these are basically big aluminum (Quarter inch diamond plate, the stuff truck bumpers are made of, in fact left over metal from just that) which I bolted in to solid wood just below the roof line

A standard stainless steel shower 'Assist' bar from the bath accessories isle was bolted on near the botom of the back

A combination ladder, which takes my 330 pounds like nobody's business, hangs on the hooks and is strapped to the bar with shock cord.

Take the ladder down, extend it and it's a roof ladder

Collapse the sections and unfold, it's a step ladder for washing and waxing.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a 6' collapsible ladder but the folks we travel with use a rack like this Camco Mfg Inc - Over-the-Ladder Chair and Bike Rack - Racks & Holders - Camping World and carry a 6' ladder rated for 300 pounds. They use bungee cords and a bicycle lock to secure it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

Just wondering, why do you need a long ladder? If you are 350#, I don't think you should be on the roof. A step ladder will allow you to reach the top of your RV (unless you are short).
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the one wthomas1 mentioned. It's been on there 6 years with no sign of deterioration. I use a chain around the bottom step of the ladders and a combination lock.
A ladder is necessary for me to wash my windshield.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I carry a 6' collapsible ladder but the folks we travel with use a rack like this Camco Mfg Inc - Over-the-Ladder Chair and Bike Rack - Racks & Holders - Camping World and carry a 6' ladder rated for 300 pounds. They use bungee cords and a bicycle lock to secure it.
i have been using the same camco ladder rack as wthomas since 2006. i use bungee cords and cable lock to secure the 6' fiberglass step ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00405.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	8965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00413.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	8966  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the telescoping style ladder. Closes to about 2' and opens to 12'. Locks in place at any size you need. I think the weight load is around 300lbs. All weight rating is under what ladders will hold.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Just wondering, why do you need a long ladder? If you are 350#, I don't think you should be on the roof. A step ladder will allow you to reach the top of your RV (unless you are short).
Still need to be high enough to check for any damage of I hit low hanging trees. Also need to clean windshield. The ladder is only a 4' step ladder when in smallest position.

I think I will go the homemade hooks, that way I can use them high and low and distribute the weight over multiple treads instead of hanging on one.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #9

Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but don't you think strapping a ladder to your ladder is kind of tacky?

Jim E
Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I'd sure like to have a nickle for every RV I've seen on the highway with bikes, ladders, and other things covering the brake/signal/tail lights.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but don't you think strapping a ladder to your ladder is kind of tacky?
Jim E
I hauled a 6' step ladder (strapped to my coach ladder) from North Carolina to Alaska and back in '06. I couldn't care less if someone thought it looked tacky.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Jim E
Not if you adjust the bungee cords so that the ladder feet appear real loose and it looks like the whole ladder is about to fall away from the coach. Puts the stops on all tailgating.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #13

When someone was stopped at the rest area with a billowing awning and I stopped to help with my ladder I don't remember them mentioning that it looked tacky.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
When someone was stopped at the rest area with a billowing awning and I stopped to help with my ladder I don't remember them mentioning that it looked tacky.
Of course not, they were thankful you had a ladder, not where it was stowed.

Jim E