Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Cash or Credit
Bought from a dealer - financed 28 17.39%
Bought from a dealer - cash 67 41.61%
Bought from a private party - financed 10 6.21%
Bought from a private party - cash 56 34.78%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 04:30 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Did you pay cash for your rig? Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party? Inquiring minds want to know.
From a small exotic car and RV dealer, paid cash with a trade in. Wrote him a check, and drove out with our "new" RV.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #30

Seems to me that if someone has the choice of cash or finance, they have the option of choosing what suits them at the time. No right or wrong. On the other hand, if they are thinking of buying an RV and have no choice but to finance, as in they just don't have the funds or it would significantly deplete their savings, they should probably reconsider.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #31

Another vote for loan versus cash from retirement funds. It just doesn't make sense to use my money for a depreciating asset.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesAndGuns View Post
Like many owners, we won't be able to participate in this poll. We paid mostly cash to the dealer for our RV, but financed $10,000 through our credit union. Any valid poll will include an "Other" category, ideally with a field to explain.
You would go in category #1. You bought it through a dealer and financed it. Doesn't specify who gave you the financing. Yes, you can participate!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Seems to me that if someone has the choice of cash or finance, they have the option of choosing what suits them at the time. No right or wrong. On the other hand, if they are thinking of buying an RV and have no choice but to finance, as in they just don't have the funds or it would significantly deplete their savings, they should probably reconsider.

I agree with this completely, in our case the purchase of our used class A coach 5-6 years ago amounted to roughly on the order of 2-3% of our net worth at the time, yet we opted to finance over 4 years for liquidity / investment / tax reasons.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:26 PM   #34

My father told us kids if you can not afford to buy what you want wait until you can. After a long search for the right coach we bought a nice older well maintained low mileage Prevost Country Coach that we figured was at the bottom of the Depreciation list from the second owner who's health had diminished . After negotiating on a price we Paid Cash . We have enjoyed seeing America for the past 7 years . If I had purchased this from a Dealer I am sure there would have been a major markup due to the condition of the coach. If something were to happen to me then my wife can sell it without have to satisfy a Loan. Because we bought from a Private Individual we have kept in touch with them and they have been most helpful when I have had questions about systems.
JimDross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #35

In Aug. 2020 as COVID was on the rise we decided we needed to be more self sufficient and sell our 19' TT.

We found the new HR Invicta [36' gasser] on a dealers lot in Mich. 60 miles south of us. This was the absolute last new class A within 400 miles!

Walked through the rig then wife and I nodded and wrote the check and walked out. Had to wait 2 weeks for the washer-dryer installation. Then another 2 days for Blue Ox tow gear to be installed on our Ford Explorer.

This was a major Mich. RV dealer and it was NOT until May of 2021 before they had ANY new class As available.

Would have preferred a diesel pusher but nothing was available in the state < $600K. Looked a a used low mileage Tiffen of similar size but it had been poorly maintained, needed house batteries, tires etc. so passed on that from a private seller.
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:10 PM   #36

I paid cash because of my age ( 71) I wasn't able to get a loan
tackmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #37

Just bought my nicely used 2007 Georgetown 37' with 3 slides with 29000 miles from a private party and financed it all thru the bank at 5.5 % interest as it was over the 13-year mark, but still my investments are making more than me paying off the motorhome.
mebden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #38

I paid cash from a private party. It just made sense given the rates for borrowing at the time. I got zero percent on my truck when I bought it so why not use their money. Every situation is different
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #39

Bought our 2017 Coachmen Apex Nano 193BHS from private party in August 2020 for $13k cash. We thought we got a great deal. They were getting out of camping (kids outgrew the bunks), and they told us they had one issue with freezing before they winterized for 2019 and had to replace kitchen faucet.

Ending up replacing the kitchen sink with stainless steel (had leak from a nearly invisible hairline crack) and the bath faucet/shower line/head.

Still think we got a deal.
SickPup404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackmister View Post
I paid cash because of my age ( 71) I wasn't able to get a loan

It is against the law for lenders to discriminate based on age, in theory if a 95 year old wants to take out a 30 year loan, the banks have to treat them the same as a 45 year old
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
Another point of view!

We financed, bought from Camping World and we had to buy the $$$$ warranty package. The finance officer told us we could not buy the motorhome without the warranty package because if something happened requiring warranty work it would look bad on Camping World if they would not fix the problem. Would this still happen if we paid cash? Has anybody had this experience?
You were taken advantage of on that one. Good luck with your extended repairs. If they looked bad for not fixing, thats on them. Not on you!
Gforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:05 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
We purchased from a private party and financed it through the credit union. This was done about six months before I retired.
It's on a ten year loan but will be paid off this year, 3 years.
The DW is scheduled to retire early next year so it will paid off before she gets there. I suppose I could have paid cash but the interest at about 4% doesn't make it worth selling investments. It's just whatever makes best sense in an individual's circumstances.
wabear is offline   Reply With Quote