Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Cash or Credit
Bought from a dealer - financed 28 17.39%
Bought from a dealer - cash 67 41.61%
Bought from a private party - financed 10 6.21%
Bought from a private party - cash 56 34.78%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #1

Cash or Credit?

Did you pay cash for your rig? Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party? Inquiring minds want to know.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2022, 11:20 PM   #2

Bought from a private party, financed over 4 years, could have paid cash, but would have taken a bigger tax hit, etc. from selling stocks to get the cash on hand to pay cash. Also the stocks were earning a higher dividend return than the interest was on the loan, so paying cash would have been a double whammy.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Bought from a private party, financed over 4 years, could have paid cash, but would have taken a bigger tax hit, etc. from selling stocks to get the cash on hand to pay cash. Also the stocks were earning a higher dividend return than the interest was on the loan, so paying cash would have been a double whammy.
This hits the nail on the head. Before retirement, I thought people that got loans during retirement were nuts. Now that I'm there, I understand the downside of taking a big chunk of cash out of investment accounts. Its often better to get a loan.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:31 AM   #4

This is a topic that get posted regularly. This is what I get out of it. I have a buddy just ordered a new mountainaire should arrive in June or so paying cash he can afford it without selling their S&B like many do. While others need to finance a small travel trailer. So if you can afford paying cash or not doesn’t make you a good or bad person it’s all about peoples person financial situation.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:35 AM   #5

Bought new from dealer. Put over half down, financed $100k about 2 months before retiring from full time work. Took consulting job for about 16 months, paid RV off about 3 months before retiring full time. If I had bought a new gas model would have paid cash but DW liked the diesel so needed to finance some. Financed $100k because the interest rate was lower on $100k and up. Only investments I touched were $35k from Roth to pay off balance. Love having nearly new RV with no payments and investments still intact.
boomersooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:45 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This comes up from time to time. Dealer or private: get an inspection. Cash or finance: depends on your financial situation. We've done both, of both.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:28 AM   #7

It always depends on your net worth, cash flow, investments and interest rates. I would consider a loan under 4% on a mh, over that I would not even think about it.
Friends laughed at me once, because I bought a new car for cash and financed a golf cart.Hell yeah, zero %, I will finance everytime.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:41 AM   #8

I agree it depends on many factors.

This may not work now, but considering the situation at the time 3 years ago when I bought my MH....I financed about 2/3. Paid it off in about 2.5 years...made enough on investments to pay off the loan and interest and came out thousands of $$$ ahead...

Just did similar with a newish Ford Ranger toad...bought in November and when I pay it off in a couple months I will be an estimated $500 dollars ahead of paying cash.

The motorhome never met the threshold for 2nd dwelling tax writeoff, but in some circumstances that would have sweetened the deal.

All my life has been a cash only for toys.... but sometimes the pendulum swings and ya gotta run the numbers up front, make an educated guess and roll the dice.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #9

Here's a thread with 200 posts re the same financing question.... just a different toy.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=56347
My philosophy is #191

You will find a similar diversity of opinions re private / dealer. I've done both and IMO finding the right unit for your needs should be the primary factor... then which has the best deal if equally satisfactory units?
Psneeld... look familiar?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:09 AM   #10

Another point of view!

We financed, bought from Camping World and we had to buy the $$$$ warranty package. The finance officer told us we could not buy the motorhome without the warranty package because if something happened requiring warranty work it would look bad on Camping World if they would not fix the problem. Would this still happen if we paid cash? Has anybody had this experience?
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Cash or Credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
Another point of view!

We financed, bought from Camping World and we had to buy the $$$$ warranty package. The finance officer told us we could not buy the motorhome without the warranty package because if something happened requiring warranty work it would look bad on Camping World if they would not fix the problem. Would this still happen if we paid cash? Has anybody had this experience?

Shady finance guy at CW bags another. They outright lied to you. Nobody “needs” the warranty. Insurance on loss on financed things ? yes, but never a “warranty” actually a service contract!. If there’s still time get your money back! File a complaint ( however it’s only your word he said that) Sadly many don’t know their rights and believe this stuff. [emoji15] loan companies do not require any of that stuff.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #12

I'm not a high finance guy....but did manage to retire before I turned 50 thanks to following advice my Mom gave me

Debt free other then S&B Mortgage my whole life

Ordered New truck and New 5th wheel prior to going FT
Paid Cash cause I could W/O dipping into investments/retirement funds

Still Debt Free except for S&B Mortgage
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:52 PM   #13

Now-a-days really depends on the cost of money. My mortgage interest is so low (2.75%) I don't want to pay it off. The money is earning much more in investments and the interest is tax deductible. Mortgage company offered a refinance at 1.99%...but the closing costs didn't make sense to do so. I like the idea of paying it off, but it just doesn't make financial sense.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I make more on my annuity than the interest I pay. It doesn't make sense to take money out of my annuity that pays 7% to pay off a 5% loan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote