RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #15

I found a website with instructions and photos on how to seal your RV's roof and it's so wrong. If one were to follow his instructions, you'd have 3" of caulking on everything after six years! Please don't follow these instructions.

Why You Need to Do Your Own Annual RV Roof Maintenance - RV Wanderlust

What a way to support the bottom lines of the caulking manufacturers.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #16

Totally agree! I always cringe when I see pictures of a coach with thick, multiple coats of Dicor. Do it right once. That is why Eternabond is so popular. Scrape off the old Dicor (and I hope the caulk is not silicone), prep the surface, put down a thin coat of self-leveling Dicor to settle into and seal the joint and then put some Eternabond on it. Sealing the edges of Eternabond is unnecessary if applied properly.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I found a website with instructions and photos on how to seal your RV's roof and it's so wrong. If one were to follow his instructions, you'd have 3" of caulking on everything after six years! Please don't follow these instructions.

Why You Need to Do Your Own Annual RV Roof Maintenance - RV Wanderlust

What a way to support the bottom lines of the caulking manufacturers.
I agree, this is terrible advice.
I've seen so many youtube videos of guys showing you how to reseal your RV, and their roof looks like a huge flock of geese crapped all over it.
That's why I don't use Dicor. I use Sika flex or Proflex which is a constuction caulking sealer designed to last pretty much forever on a building, and put a bead under a flange when installing, and a small bead around the outside which you can tool with a plastic container lid or your finger. You don't need 3" wide bead of Dicor which eventually cracks in the sun and looks like goose crap..
Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #18

High Roller-

What types of Sikaflex and Proflex do you use? Both companies make several different formulations.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #19

ProFlexRV Geocel is a great product for RV use.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
High Roller-

What types of Sikaflex and Proflex do you use? Both companies make several different formulations.
I use Sikaflex 291 but they have many other suitable products. The Sikafles 291 is Marine Adhesive/Sealant so it has great adhesive qualities. It is also good for applying under your solar panel z brackets to help attach it to your roof so your not relying on the screws alone.
The Geocel Proflex is good too, and has similar properties and it says on the tube that it is for roofing, doors and windows and has lifetime durability.

They both come is several colors like white, black and grey, and you don't need a 3 inch wide bead. Just a small bead and like I said you can just tool it smooth with your finger or a small plastic disk cut from a plastic container lid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_023706.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	191229   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_023744.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	191230  

Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #21

I spent several hours yesterday removing the remnants of several different types of caulking/sealant from the areas around my skylight and vent cutouts (I'm replacing both). In addition to caulking/sealant, one of the prior owners had used some form of aluminum faced, tarry roofing tape, most of which had been removed at some point. The strange thing about all this is that each type of caulking was applied, starting just over the edge of the last until it extended several inches out from the mounting flange.

I did discover a trick that helped things go faster. I had to use heat to remove the tarry stuff and found that heating my putty knife with a heat gun was much more effective, and safer, than heating the surface, which can damage the fiberglass. This also worked on the more traditional caulking. After removing as much as I could with the knife, I removed the remaining residue by scraping and after that, paint thinner and then acetone.

After cleaning and filling the old screw holes, I think I'll scuff the flange area with fine sandpaper to help ensure a good bond to the fiberglass which, I'm sure still has some residue from the original silicone-based sealant used by Winnebago.

I'm glad I wasn't paying a shop $100/hr or more to do this.

For those of you wondering why I would buy a rig with such a mess on the roof, it came with a commercial wheelchair lift (which my wife needs) that the PO had installed at a cost of $15k four years ago. I paid a little more than low NADA so the lift was almost free.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #22

I use a little lacquer thinner and fine scotch brite to clean off the last of the old and prep for the new.

Gary
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm really surprised at the Dicor thing. With advanced sealants that are available today, it would seem to me that Dicor wouldn't even be used anymore in favor of a much better, longer lasting joint sealer. I'm not sure why a urethane sealer can't be used on all the fixtures on the roof. It would be much like setting a windshield. Then caulk the edges with the same urethane sealant for additional security against leaks and you should be good for a long time. Urethane sealants are long lasting and have been used in commercial construction successfully for a long time.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
If boats were built like RV's, you wouldn't get untied from the dock before your boat would be sunk and sitting on the bottom. These things are thrown together by workers ,who for the vast majority , don't go camping and have no idea about it nor do they care. It's all about how fast they can build.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote