Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
CDL

waiting from a email I sent to NCDMV, while I wait on there respond I throught I would ask any North Carolina resident this question Do you have to have CDL to drive a class a motorhome over 40 feet in length and greater than 26000 lbs?
danford50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have looked at this in anticipation of buying a motor home here I have looked at this and at this page at DMV https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id...nses-fees.aspx. it shows that no, a CDL is not needed, but either a class a or b depending on towing weight.
wrlwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

No. You need a Class B non-cdl for the motorhome. You will need to take a written test that is out of the CDL Handbook Chapters 2 and 14. These cover mostly information about heavy vehicles and air brakes. You will get a temporary permit, and will need to return with your coach for a road test. Then you will get your proper license. Just be aware that you will need additional documentation to get your licensed due to the new RealId program being initiated if you don't already have it. Just your old drivers license won't be enough. Look on NCDMV website for additional information.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danford50 View Post
waiting from a email I sent to NCDMV, while I wait on there respond I throught I would ask any North Carolina resident this question Do you have to have CDL to drive a class a motorhome over 40 feet in length and greater than 26000 lbs?
Not unless you are driving for profit/renumeration. The KEY word is Commercial Drivers License.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
dms

I am in NC and offer this info. I went through this 3 years ago. I called 3 different DMV offices and no one seem to be able to answer the question. I finally called Raleigh and here is the correct info. The confusion is that there seems to be no NC documentation regarding regular Commercial CDL versus the Non-Commercial license requirements. Here are the facts from the Raleigh DMV headquarters:

In NC, if your rig is over 26,001 lbs, you must have a non-commercial Class B license. If you tow anything over 10,001 lbs, you then need a Class A non-commercial license. Many states are the same, but some states don't have a requirement for anything other than a regular DL (i.e. Florida and Mass). If you're legal in your home state, then all other states are reciprocal.

The NC license requires a written test and a road test. Also an air brake test if you have air brakes.

Get a CDL handbook from any NC DMV office. Study the CDL manual (chapters 2 and 14 if I remember correctly) for the written test, the pre-trip and in-cab inspection. The manual explains what chapters to study for a Class B license. 50 questions... none were hard, just study the book. Note that the handbook is actually for the Commercial CDL license but only a couple of chapters are for the Non-Commercial license.

Also, Google "CDL pre trip inspection" and watch plenty of videos and be prepared to do the "walk around" with the inspector prior to the driving test. Also, watch videos on air brake tests if your coach has air brakes. The pre-trip inspection is pretty much the same nationwide. Once you pass the written test, you then have to schedule a driving test, usually 2 weeks or so later. There are certain DMV offices that perform the Commercial tests, but these will not do a Non-Commercial test. Any regular DMV will perform the Non-Commercial test.

Road test in NC had me drive a few city streets and then Interstate with 2 lane changes. Easy driving. No parallel parking. Just watch out for and remember posted bridge clearances and weight ratings as you drive because he will ask you the ratings after you pass them. All interstate bridges are 15' unless marked ortherwise. All bridge weight limits are for heavy equipment unless marked otherwise. Pay attention. Also, chock your wheels when parked and buckle your seat belt before starting the engine. These two things are automatic failure according to the inspector that tested me.

Many people get a licensed friend to drive them to the DMV office for the driving test. I didn't, but was prepared to tell the examiner that a friend drove it over and had to leave, if asked. I wasn't asked.

The risk you run if you don't have the proper license is that in an accident, your insurance may not cover you since you would be considered an unlicensed driver. No RV dealer will tell you this, nor will your insurance agent. You'll also be ticketed for driving without a license.

Once you get the Class B license, your DW can take the written test and will be issued a learners permit allowing her to drive if you're in the coach.

I'm in Mocksville and the office is small town friendly and the inspector was more fascinated with my coach than watching me drive. Not a bad experience at all.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Many states are the same, but some states don't have a requirement for anything other than a regular DL (i.e. Florida and Mass). If you're legal in your home state, then all other states are reciprocal.
I just want to add that NY has an RV endorsement, which allows you to drive any legal size/weight RV with or without toad, but no non-commercial Class A or B. Its the only reason I keep getting the physical and renewing my Class A CDL, which I havent needed in 30 years and counting. I dont know if that endorsement would translate to a Class B or A in another state, but I rather doubt it. I could always take the test again of course (40 years after I first took it ) but just cant let it go yet ha ha.

And of course, FL has no requirement for any class other than passenger car, regardless of the size or type of RV, and though I dont want it, DW wants to retire there. Too far from my kids and grandkids for my taste.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I am in NC and offer this info. I went through this 3 years ago. I called 3 different DMV offices and no one seem to be able to answer the question. I finally called Raleigh and here is the correct info. The confusion is that there seems to be no NC documentation regarding regular Commercial CDL versus the Non-Commercial license requirements. Here are the facts from the Raleigh DMV headquarters:
I've just spent two days, numerous hours on NCDOT web site and countless time on hold with DMV phone reps in Raleigh trying to find one person who could recite NCDL license requirements for driving a Motorcoach. I found this post while on hold.

Thank you for the info in this post. Finding a firsthand clear answer to this was a godsend.

Side note: Could it had been chapters 2 and 13? The online CDL manual I downloaded from NCDOT site ends at chapter 13.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Shortly after posting the above, a rep from our DMV in Raleigh called back to tell me, no, I did not need a special license to operate a MH with gvwr less that 26001 unless I was towing a vehicle with gvwr over 10001. I asked her to show me where I could read that info and she put me thru to her supervisor. He admitted that the info is not clear on NC web site but assured me I did not need a special license. He did direct me to NC statutes chapter 20 for definitions of class A & B vehicles.

After reading and studying the actual NC law and definitions I am 99.9% sure there is no requirement for special license to operate a motorhome under 26001 gvwr as long as your tow vehicle gvwr is under 10001.

I printed out the statues and definitions and will carry with me cause I'm also 99.99% sure there will be confusion over this issue for the duration.

The poster I quoted above was correct as well. His DS gvwr bumps him into class B definition.

I should have read more and posted later!
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote