Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #1

Ceiling/ Headliner repair in AC Eagle

Anyone have any idea as to what it might cost to reattach this cloth liner to the ceiling?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output (1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	349365  
Mongo159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could probably remove light and get some 3m spray glue and put it back up yourself
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

I'd pull the light out and look. Could be from a leak, some of material used was foam backed and the foam deteriorated.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you can figure out how to get it down without destroying it then you could buy spray adhesive from Lowes or HD and do it yourself!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #5

Often (most?) times the outer visible layer of the ceiling/headliner is glued to a thin layer of foam, which is then glued to the structural part of the ceiling. The structural part is usually some thin form of plywood, luan, etc. The problem lies in that the glue bond between the foam and the visible cloth or vinyl layer usually doesn't fail, but rather the thin foam layer degrades and begins to fall apart, allowing the visible layer to sag with part of the degraded foam layer attached to it, and the other part of the degraded foam still attached to the structural sublayer. If you simply spray some glue in there and stick it back up, it will usually sag again quickly as you're only gluing what's there to the remaining already degraded foam layer, which will again separate due to the weight of the now reattached visible layer. Sort of a wordy explanation but hopefully that makes sense. The only permanent fix is to pull it back to the part where the foam is still solid and good, scrape the degraded foam from both the visible layer and the structural layer, and glue in replacement foam to the structural layer and then reattach the vinyl or cloth layer to that.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

Yes doug427, I assumed that was probably the answer as I have inquired about regluing a couple of car head liners and that was the answer I got from them. It wouldn't hold to the old foam. This is a coach that I am inquiring about and it apparently had a leak which they say was fixed but why they didn't do the complete repair I don't know. I wasn't sure if the liners in these coaches were made the same as for cars. Just hoping that someone might have experienced this type of problem and could provide some insight into what was needed and cost. Tks everyone I'm probably going to pass on this one as it is 3 days drive to check it out myself and not willing to chance it. John
Mongo159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Is that what they put up on ceilings now, like headliners. Seen a lot of those fail in cars and trucks. Don't love thin carpet on ceiling but seems to hold fast , also to bottom side boat deck like on a cuddy cabin.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:44 PM   #8

I had the same problem in our 2009 Winnebago Journey in several places. I read all the laborous threads on various repairs. I came up with a fairly simple repair which looks good. I spray painted brass thumbtacks to match the ceiling liner. Don't use steel thumbtacks which can rust. I then made a cardboard pattern the width of each panel to place the thumbtacks in an accurate repeatable pattern. Each thumbtack is about 8 inches apart and each row is the same distance apart. Initially we just did the aflicted panels. We then did all the ceilings to have a uniform look. It works great, little expense and very little work. The ceilings has a tuffed button but factory look.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, ceiling, repair