Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #1

charging 6 volt house batteries

I pulled my house batteries out for the winter. I need to keep them charged as well. I have a charger with a basic 6 volt setting. Is it ok to use on that setting or do i need some kind of 6 volt deep cycle charger? I just dont want to ruin the batteries is why i ask.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
paz

I used a trickle charger on my house batteries when I took them out for winter for years. In fact, I still use the trickle charger on the chassis battery (which isn't charged when we're plugged into shore power) when we winter for 3 or 4 months in Florida. You could also use a 3-stage charger. Check water levels periodically.

If your batteries are 6V, you can use a 6V charger or connect pairs of batteries in series and use a 12V charger.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #3

Keeping on a typical automotive charger all winter will boil off all of the water. Why not hook them in series (as they are in your RV) and put them on a 12v trickle charger or battery minder?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Never though about hooking them up in a series to charge for the winter...i like that idea! Thanks
Old 10-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never removed a battery from our various RV's. The OEM Interstate U-2200's lasted a month short of 10 years and I only changed them then because we were headed out for a trip.
I also keep the rig on shore power 24/7 when stored and the inverter turned on. I do set the input power down to it's lowest which is 5 amps.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

The input power setting!!! I have a question. What does setting that gauge accomplish? When we bought our mh we were told to just set it at 5 and forget about it. What does it do? Hope this isn't stealing the thread!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I have never removed a battery from our various RV's. The OEM Interstate U-2200's lasted a month short of 10 years and I only changed them then because we were headed out for a trip.
I also keep the rig on shore power 24/7 when stored and the inverter turned on. I do set the input power down to it's lowest which is 5 amps.
X2 Works for me.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I always kept the 5er plugged in 24/7 and now the MH. I may have to look as I was not a ware that I could adjust the inverter output.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc
The input power setting!!! I have a question. What does setting that gauge accomplish? When we bought our mh we were told to just set it at 5 and forget about it. What does it do? Hope this isn't stealing the thread!
It limits the maximun amperage allowed to be pulled by the battery charging portion of the inverter. If you are familiar with a standard automotive battery charger, they will generally have a 10amp setting and a 2amp setting. Same thing.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are talking winter maintenance charge, .. Most of the 6/12 volt chargers I have seen are the older "Dumb" type, I'd not want to put them on a battery long term, they will do more damage than good if you leave them on too long.

What I'd do is put the two sixes in series, (making one big 12 volt battery) just like you do when they are in the motor home, and use a Battery Minder (TM) or battery Tender (TM) (two more or less identical competing devices). These are 2 stage chargers (Absorption/float) and are specifically designed for off-season maintenance charging.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #11

Are all inverters able to be adjusted?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #12

That amperage setting tells the AC input how much to allow the system to have. I have a 50 amp service in my coach. I also use a Honda EU1000i to charge batteries when in non-serviced sites. By setting the Shore amperage to 5a the Honda will work just fine plugged into the shore power socket with a adapter and not overload. I also set my Magnum inverter/converter to 40a when using the 1000w generator. If we need the Onan QD7500 for the convection oven or DW's Latte maker I reset the Shore amperage to 50a and the Magnum to 100a

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #13

I checked out the 13 Newmar in my shop, and the 80 amp converter slash charger is computer controlled and does everything your batteries need. It has a charge, maintain, float, and desulfication mode. It also charges both house batteries (interstate) and the chassis battery (motorcraft-ford). So it will be plugged in to shore power (through the 50 amp surge and voltage protector of course) any time it is not on the road. My coach draws on all three batteries when we are boondocking. Will a bird or something separate the coach from the chassis before the battery gets to low to start the coach or genny? We can run the furnace all nite long and watch 3 tvs for hours without any problems, so far. And as the voltage drops I can look at the on board gauge and all the batteries drop the same. Shirley Newmar has some kind of safeguard against running all 3 batteries down at the same time.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First I would check the cells with a hydrometer.

Any 6 volt charger will do the job of charging.

I'd top them off with the 6 volt charger for a day and then disconnect the charger.

In the spring I would hook up the 6 volt charger the day before and top them off again.

I would never leave the charger attached to them through the winter even if it's a fancy dancy charger.

Does it get that cold that you need to remove them?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote