RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #1

Charging house and engine batteries?

Hey guys,

Could someone please advise on quickest way to charge all batteries? I have fast car chargers and trickle chargers but don't know how to hook up. I've also plugged into 120 outlet but doesn't seem to charge up or very slow if anything.

Its a 2001 fleetwood expedition, 36t, diesel cummins.

Pics attached of actual battery compartment.

Thx in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200924_091743.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	302204   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200924_091717.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	302205  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200924_091731.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	302206  
jvannghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever checked the water levels in those house batteries?

Have you put a volt meter on them when it is supposedly charging?

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you ever checked the water levels in those house batteries?
Looking at them that would be my first question as well!

Unless they just drove 50mi of dusty dirt road.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:36 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First check water level, then CLEAN ALL TERMINALS BRIGHT, SHINY, ONE WIRE AT A TIME AND reassemble, then RECORD BATTERY VOLTAGE READINGS on each battery. Lets make sure trying to charge good batteries?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Hey guys, thx for the replies.

They look old and dusty cuz I take it out to the desert.

Batteries new at beginning of year, RV shop checked batteries and had them fully charged a couple weeks ago.

I have not checked voltage while plugged in but batteries showed 12v with meter. What would I see on meter while charging if its already at 12v or close to it? BTW, dash monitor inside shows low Volts but handheld meter shows 12v.

Can I charge the batteries with a normal car battery charger? Or both with 120v shore and separate car battery charger?

Thx again!
jvannghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

12.?
12.7 or higher considered charged. 12.1 considered time to charge. Just a straight 12 volts does not tell us much. I'm sure you know to NEVER let them go below 12.0.
Above numbers an example and may not be exact, just to give you an idea. Your cables look good. Believe me, I have seen worse!

Oh, might want to get a quality volt meter and see what your getting voltage wise at the batteries and compare to what your in house meter reads.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Since it's a Fleetwood coach, just plug the coach into a 120v outlet and it should charge both battery banks. Starting the coach engine also charge both.

If you want to use your external, auxiliary chargers, simply hook a jumper cable between the house and chassis battery positive posts. Any positive post in either bank will do, but the primary one (where multiple cables go) is preferred. Then hook your charger cable to one of those positive pots and either one of the battery negative posts or a chassis ground point. Both battery banks are already tied to chassis ground, so no need to jumper the negatives.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Since it's a Fleetwood coach, just plug the coach into a 120v outlet and it should charge both battery banks. Starting the coach engine also charge both.
IF the isolator solenoid is functioning!

I'm already on my 2nd one and it's now not connecting both house and chassis when energizing. I'm going to pull it and clean the contacts and see if I can get another year or more out of it. Not happy with the Trombetta isolator solenoid. Perhaps a Big Boy is in the future.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
IF the isolator solenoid is functioning!

I'm already on my 2nd one and it's now not connecting both house and chassis when energizing. I'm going to pull it and clean the contacts and see if I can get another year or more out of it. Not happy with the Trombetta isolator solenoid. Perhaps a Big Boy is in the future.
Hey Robert,
Yeah, I nursed my 11 year old dual battery solenoid on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP for a year or more before replacing it. I'd dissassemble it and, clean the contacts and, it would work great for oh, maybe another year or so. Finally, I decided to purchase another one only, this one has the SILVER contacts in it. So far, it's going on about 4 years and it's working flawlessly. Just a thought here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #10

Hey Scott!
Good to hear from you!
I believe bothers the solenoids had/has the silver contacts according to the model number.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Hey Scott!
Good to hear from you!
I believe bothers the solenoids had/has the silver contacts according to the model number.
?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #12

Opps! Autocorrect!
I believe both the solenoids had the silver contacts according to the model number.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:52 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvannghi View Post
Hey guys, thx for the replies.

They look old and dusty cuz I take it out to the desert.

Batteries new at beginning of year, RV shop checked batteries and had them fully charged a couple weeks ago.

I have not checked voltage while plugged in but batteries showed 12v with meter. What would I see on meter while charging if its already at 12v or close to it? BTW, dash monitor inside shows low Volts but handheld meter shows 12v.

Can I charge the batteries with a normal car battery charger? Or both with 120v shore and separate car battery charger?

Thx again!
12.6-12.7=95%-100% charged, where 12.-1-12.2=50%, goal to never get below 12.0 as it greatly shortens battery life; Must wait 30-min after removing from charger to allow FALSE HIGH surface charge to dissipate before reading battery voltage. CHARGING VOLTAGE= 13.2-14.6vdc
Old 09-27-2020, 06:23 AM   #14

The best charger is the one it came with. Most diesel pushers have inverter/chargers, with automatic 3 stage charging.

First you need to get that working, charging the house batteries properly.

All the back and forth about the solenoid is for charging the other battery, not your prime concern, until you get some charging on the house batteries.

You need to measure the voltage on the house batteries while on shore power. Your looking for 13.5 volts or more.

If your getting more then 12.7 volts but not 13.4 or more, find the inverter charger and unplug the phone jack looking thing marked BTS, Battery Temp Sensor, and see if the volts go up.

Do them tests and come back with what you find.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, engine