Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Chassis Air Conditioner

The engine driven compressor puts out cold freon to the front. Up front the vacuum system does not open/close the vents in the a/c mode (heat mode seems to work) The vacuum pump works and all lines are connected.
So I get the manufacturers name and proceed to call them in hopes of obtaining a trouble shooting guide..... they're out of business!! And just recently! Their website says 45 years in biz. Poof they're gone.
SCS/Frigette RIP
At least their website still lists local (mostly trucking) concerns that were representatives and one of those is willing to check the system. We'll see how that works out.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #2

If it like mine there is a small vacuum pump that operates the valves. It pops the fuse so no vacuum. Where it is located it is almost impossible to work on.I got tired of changing the fuse so tied the damper open with a wire tie.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #3

Could be a vacuum leak somewhere? Mine got disconnected during some maintenance last summer. it defaulted to the defrost mode so I always had warm air hitting the windshield and heating the cockpit unless the unit was turned off.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bob & Ken,
Our vac. pump is in plain view. Can hear it while it's on. Comes on about every 2 minutes and "builds vacuum" for 10-15 seconds - then off.
Bob, how did you get to the "damper"?
Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

The dampers on my Tradewinds are located under the dash accessed from inside .Think thin and follow the ducts.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #6

I think you have a vacuum leak. the pump shouldn't be cycling that much. It should be holding the vacuum until you change to another position. I would check for a cracked hose.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #7

I have a 94 Safari Sahara which is much older than your beaver but I recently fixed an issue. I have also replaced the pump a few years ago. On mine the pump is on a crossmember under the bed in the engine compartment. You can hear it when you turn the key on. My dash vacuum would not function from defrost to dash to floor but the pump was creating vacuum. I found a small pot under the hood in front left hand side. (round Plastic) that has a hose that had come off. Works good now.
wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

It is not uncommon to have a vacuum leak, but w/the vac cycling only every coupla minutes, I'd say there is enough vacuum to operate the mode shifts. If the modes don't shift, there is a problem w/the switch (this is unusual tho not unheard of as the switches are pure mechanical).

Not changing from hot to cold seems to be the problem. That is usually a mixer valve setup, which is likely a vacuum operated switch behind/under the dash some place that will let cold into the up front heat exchanger when you switch to AC or MaxAC settings. The gizmo will have a vacuum line to it on one side, and linkage to move a lever on the other side of the vacuum pot. If there is a vacuum leak to the switch it won't open the valve; if there is full vacuum maybe the valve is stuck. Sometimes a stuck valve can be rehabilitated at least for a while by cleaning & lubrication.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks folks... Have several things to check but just now it's raining in Austin, TX!!! Manana.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #10

hot or cold on smc

Again my coach is a 94 Safari but there is a cable that runs thru the dash to a water valve on the heater hose that cuts off the hot water to the dash and allows your air conditioning to work. My cable end slipped on the water valve and would not close it all the way and I thought I had lost my air conditioning but shortened up the cable and re tightened the clamp higher on the water valve on the heater hose and air came back and the pipe to air conditioning iced up like it should but the air pot I was talking about on my coach is on the left side by the heater fan under the hood it is round and black in color with a rubber vacuum line to it.
wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote