Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Yes... That is correct. The solenoid is cold and i get no voltage from the purple wire. When i test it the meter registers a few rapidly changing numbers and then settles down to zero volts
Follow the purple wire back to the circuit board. Look at the connection at the board, if it is dark it has overheated due to a bad connection. I repaired mine two years ago with a new connector. It did the same thing recently so I soldered the purple wire directly to the circuit board to eliminate that from happening again. I used hot glue to secure the purple wire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
This is the bottom of my board. Notice the bad solder connection on the bottom right. This is where I hardwired the purple wire eliminating that from happening due to an overheated connector.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
This is the bottom of my board. Notice the bad solder connection on the bottom right. This is where I hardwired the purple wire eliminating that from happening due to an overheated connector.
Ok . Will check that out at our next stop. The Batt Boost switch will activate the solenoid and when depressed, it produces 12 volts at the purple wire where it attaches to the solenoid. Does this mean that my connections are ok and that the problem is something else? Is there a fuse that controls this wire and if so where might it be?

Pic s were very helpful....thanks.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The Batt Boost switch will activate the solenoid and when depressed, it produces 12 volts at the purple wire where it attaches to the solenoid. Does this mean that my connections are ok and that the problem is something else? Is there a fuse that controls this wire and if so where might it be?
If the boost switch activates the solenoid that eliminates the solenoid and the purple wire connection as the problem. Do you know what your wiring or battery control center brand & model is?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #33
YC1

Good to hear your solenoid activates when the aux button is pressed.
For good measure you should measure the voltage on the large terminals with the button pushed and without it pushed. (while the engine is running but the generator is off). With the generator running AND the engine running the solenoid will NOT be activated. This is a normal system design. However, if on shoreline and the engine running the solenoid will be activated and you can on occasion get an alternator fail light warning but don't worry yourself about that.

I will post some pictures showing you where to go next. It will be into the panel below the driver on the outside. The front run panel is what it is called. Remove the cover and look towards the upper 1/4 section on the left. This is the area we will look for the BIRD circuit board.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #34
YC1

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/do-i...-153008-2.html

Scroll down to number 28 to find lost of attachments. I don't want to have to post them again. They are full of information.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/do-i...-153008-2.html

Scroll down to number 28 to find lost of attachments. I don't want to have to post them again. They are full of information.
You won't believe this, but per Drifters photo in message #4, I DO NOT have a bird system (even though my owners manual states that my chassis batteries WILL charge with shore power). the question now becomes what bird module do I buy and how do I install it?

Your information has been most helpful and truly appreciated!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #36
YC1

Quote:
You won't believe this, but per Drifters photo in message #4, I DO NOT have a bird system (even though my owners manual states that my chassis batteries WILL charge with shore power). the question now becomes what bird module do I buy and how do I install it?

Your information has been most helpful and truly appreciated!
Ok. Lets clarify some things.
Are you the original owner? If not someone may have removed it.
Looking at picture 4 do you see the little circuit board held in place with a plastic wing nut? If not someone may have removed it after failure.
Or, could be your owners manual is incorrect but I don't think so.

Just a side note here for maintenance purposes. Did you measure the voltages on the large terminals of the solenoid while having someone push the aux start button? This is just to give you confidence and a set of measurements for future reference. In any case, since you ordered a new one it is a good idea to replace the old one. These things are a common failure item and when you need it to work it may not. Again, this is not to solve your missing control voltage.

If you can take a picture of your front run panel where the bird should live it would take any guess work out of this.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. Will try to get a photo posted today however my board looks exactly like Drifters in post#4 except that mine has the red black and blue wires going from the board into the plug where Drifters are yellow and white.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ok. Will try to get a photo posted today however my board looks exactly like Drifters in post#4 except that mine has the red black and blue wires going from the board into the plug where Drifters are yellow and white.
Will also measure voltages again but previously I believe I got 13+ volts on both sides of the solenoid
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #39

This stuff is WAY TOO COMPLICATED for me to follow. I'll have to get my son in law, electrical engineer, to interrprete this. lol
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got the pics to load

Quote:
Ok. Lets clarify some things.
Are you the original owner? If not someone may have removed it.
Looking at picture 4 do you see the little circuit board held in place with a plastic wing nut? If not someone may have removed it after failure.
Or, could be your owners manual is incorrect but I don't think so.

Just a side note here for maintenance purposes. Did you measure the voltages on the large terminals of the solenoid while having someone push the aux start button? This is just to give you confidence and a set of measurements for future reference. In any case, since you ordered a new one it is a good idea to replace the old one. These things are a common failure item and when you need it to work it may not. Again, this is not to solve your missing control voltage.

If you can take a picture of your front run panel where the bird should live it would take any guess work out of this.
Hi Myron: Thanks for hanging with me.

Attached are the pics you requested. Hopefully this will answer the question as to whether I have a BIRD or an IRD.

If an IRD....what is the best solution?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolator Relay Board-01.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	88023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolator Relay Board-2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	88024  

Old 03-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #41
YC1

You have a BIRD. That little circuit board senses the voltage on two different wires that you should be able to track to some lugs on the large circuit board. Great pictures.

Here is some excellent info on the bird. Since you have confirmed you have the bird then making sure it works is easy.

Just measure the voltage on the large relay in the battery compartment. The violet wire should have 12.5 + when any source of charge is available. This voltage can be delayed a bit and can cycle a bit if one bank is very low. Shoreline should cause the purple wire to be energized, the generator should too, then of course the alternator. However, IF the engine is running AND the generator is running, the violet wire will not be energized. This keeps the voltage from the inverter/charger from conflicting with the alternator regulator system and causing a fault alarm.

So here is some advice. Go ahead and change that trombetta relay because they get flaky. When you take it off, take it apart and see if the contacts are contaminated.

More advice. If your house batteries get low due to boondocking or leaving the coach unplugged then run the generator instead of trying to charge them with the alternator. That can be a massive load on a device not really designed as a battery bank charger. This is not just my recommendation but it is in the owners manual as well.

My bird circuit board failed a few years back and there was no replacement for it. It appears they have resurfaced so a direct replacement would be the ticket if it has failed. Other devices can cause some really strange issues.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bird Relay on ours.pdf (1.16 MB, 71 views)

Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You have a BIRD. That little circuit board senses the voltage on two different wires that you should be able to track to some lugs on the large circuit board. Great pictures.

Here is some excellent info on the bird. Since you have confirmed you have the bird then making sure it works is easy.

Just measure the voltage on the large relay in the battery compartment. The violet wire should have 12.5 + when any source of charge is available. This voltage can be delayed a bit and can cycle a bit if one bank is very low. Shoreline should cause the purple wire to be energized, the generator should too, then of course the alternator. However, IF the engine is running AND the generator is running, the violet wire will not be energized. This keeps the voltage from the inverter/charger from conflicting with the alternator regulator system and causing a fault alarm.

So here is some advice. Go ahead and change that trombetta relay because they get flaky. When you take it off, take it apart and see if the contacts are contaminated.

More advice. If your house batteries get low due to boondocking or leaving the coach unplugged then run the generator instead of trying to charge them with the alternator. That can be a massive load on a device not really designed as a battery bank charger. This is not just my recommendation but it is in the owners manual as well.

My bird circuit board failed a few years back and there was no replacement for it. It appears they have resurfaced so a direct replacement would be the ticket if it has failed. Other devices can cause some really strange issues.
Might you know a source for a new board? Also, I didn't see any attachments to your post.....did you intend to send any?

When I start the engine, the solenoid energizes and charges the engine batteries....I just can't charge them when on shore power or using the generator.

Will install the new Trombetta by the end of the week.