Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

[Chassis] Coach Battery Recommendations

OOPS, Thread should have said "Coach Batteries". Well, it has reached the point when my coach batteries need replaced. I know the old saying about opinions, but here goes... Looking for recommendations on the best batteries for the price. Also, where did you buy them? Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Stump Jumper......I like a good deal as well as anyone else, but I don't chinze on batteries. Batteries for your coach are the equivalent to the engine for your chassis. Everything in your coach functions via the batteries, refer, heater, water pump etc. Even if you rarely boondock, everything is stilled run by/through your batteries first. If you had a particular brand that worked well in your coach now, why not replace with the same.

Just my opinion, but when it comes to coach batteries, I think the two choices are Trojan and Interstate. Most of these batteries are made by just a couple of companies, Johnson Controls being one of the biggest parent companies. As you look at their list of brands, they start with their best quality and then brand cheaper ones for various budgets. They AREN'T all the same with a different label. The quality drops each level.

The BEST thing I ever did for my coach was to add the ProFill battery watering system. It's pricey, but it keeps the acid down and makes adding water a snap. I check mine about every three months. Just squeeze the bulb a few times and all batteries are filled to the exact same level.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stump Jumper,
I just replaced my coach batteries with Lifeline AGM style batteries. Consider purchasing the largest battery that will fit in the space available. AGM gets me out of having to check and refill the water in the batteries. The best price I got was from the local Batteries + store.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our OEM Interstate U-2200 batteries went 10 years and were still good for our use. We were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road so I replaced them early. I replaced them with the same batteries, and again, added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell. Costco or Sam's Club also seem to have a decent battery for less cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I adjusted the thread title a bit to reflect the real subject matter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
OOPS, Thread should have said "Coach Batteries". Well, it has reached the point when my coach batteries need replaced. I know the old saying about opinions, but here goes... Looking for recommendations on the best batteries for the price. Also, where did you buy them? Thanks in advance!
I prefer house and 'engine' batts. Those 2 terms seem to define the use on point.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Engine start - Walmart's best EverStart - about $100 - good warranty, good battery, available most anywhere

House - Trojan wet batteries with Pro-Fill watering system to make maintenance easy and easy means it will get done routinely for longer/better performance
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Just replaced the house batteries with AGMs due to the difficulty in gaining access to them for maintenance, 2 ea. group 24s. Engine batteries with sealed wet batteries, 2 ea. group 32s. Bought all at O'Reillys Auto for $563 out the door delivered to me. That price included one core charge for a good battery that I wanted to keep around the shop for testing 12 volt stuff.
Today I just completed the installation of a Progressive Dynamics charger/converter with Charge Wizard. Now I feel confident in the electrical system.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Engine start - Walmart's best EverStart - about $100 - good warranty, good battery, available most anywhere

House - Trojan wet batteries with Pro-Fill watering system to make maintenance easy and easy means it will get done routinely for longer/better performance
Is this the correct pro-fill watering system, thanks

https://www.flow-rite.com/product/rv-2000
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis