Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #29

Back when I was instructing, I wore 4 stripes alright. And, I still have the license and the type-rating. What I have to say on the forces which are the subject of this thread is that I would like to see the explanation of the source of energy that causes the loss of control of the motorhome that goes out of control just because a front tire has what is called a blowout. Yes, some of you want to argue. But, we can't waste time doing that. Let's just start with the explanation of the problem we would like to solve. Keep in mind that there is only one steering system designed into the vehicle. Also, keep in mind that centering springs are not considered artificial intelligence.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #30

The Monroe steering shock absorber and the SafeTPlus steering centerer are completely different.
The Monroe absorbs vibrations from the wheels/steering system.
The SafeTPlus was designed to help the driver in resisting the side yaw of a blow out.
The Monroe will not stop the steering wheel from turning into the blow out, it will just dampen it.
Not good enough.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:30 AM   #31

Back to classroom basics!!!!! If all MH drivers were taught exactly what causes the loss of control whenever they experience a front tire blowout,...we would not be having this discussion.
We are trying to evaluate a product,....or is it two products? (One with centering springs, and one without).
IMO drivers should first know why the words "yaw" and "side force" do not belong in this discussion.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Back to classroom basics!!!!! If all MH drivers were taught exactly what causes the loss of control whenever they experience a front tire blowout,...we would not be having this discussion.
We are trying to evaluate a product,....or is it two products? (One with centering springs, and one without).
IMO drivers should first know why the words "yaw" and "side force" do not belong in this discussion.
I'm not sure where you are trying to take this discussion but coming from someone who has had a driver's license for 62 plus years including a Class A CDL I can say from experience there is no one method anyone can teach or follow in the event of a blown tire either on the front or rear of a vehicle. This includes two wheeled vehicles as well.
If you watch NASCAR races at all you can see the best drivers in the world blow tires and hit a wall or other cars. I have watched several videos on how to handle a vehicle with a blowout. Many of these suggest accelerating the vehicle until you have gained control. This might work on a straight roadway but try this on a tight curve at speed and you are going to power your way off the highway into no man's land. No one size fits all.
Fancy words aside the best advice I would give anyone is to maintain your cool and slow down gently pulling out of traffic and to the side of the road.
I have blown tires on motorcycles, drag race cars, dirt track race cars and yes, an 18 wheeler and I'm here to tell about it.
Is a steering dampener or a Safe-T plus going to save you? Maybe and maybe not but in my opinion the Safe-T-Plus can be an advantage over winging it without it. That's why I installed one on my coach. Luckily I haven't had the occasion to test it out.
Don't overdrive your capabilities and expect the unexpected.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:34 AM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
Please pass this information to the most rv owners as possible. We can save a few peoples life.

Thank you for taking the time to post information which could help people.

It is true, not everyone has the same money to spend on safety equipment…..so a much cheaper solution which obviously offers an improvement over not doing anything is a good thing.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #34

OK, let's apply NASCAR knowledge. The reason that even the best drivers lose control of racecars whenever they experience a tire blowout is simply because they operate at maximum speed,....and almost always there is a significant centrifugal FORCE acting on the racecar (specially on oval racetracks). These conditions dictate that the racecar will dart OUTWARD, into the wall, whenever they experience a blowout (instant, significant LOSS of traction). I've visited the wall myself a few times.
Yes, there IS one best way of teaching MH drivers how to handle a blowout. It's just not available. HOWEVER, scaring them is the WORST way. The startle factor is your worst enemy. ONE second is probably the most you can afford to be incapacitated.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #35

Quote:
I used "yaw" to keep my post short and simple.
The thread is about a SafeTPlus vs a shock absorber, not a detailed description of what happens with a blow out.
A right front blow out will "pull" to the right.

Give me some rudder pedals and I wouldn't need a SafeTPlus.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I used "yaw" to keep my post short and simple.
The thread is about a SafeTPlus vs a shock absorber, not a detailed description of what happens with a blow out.
A right front blow out will "pull" to the right.

Give me some rudder pedals and I wouldn't need a SafeTPlus.

Gary, allow me to use your example to help others. The reason you placed quotes on your word "pull" is because you know that nothing actually pulls you to the side of the blowout. What actually happens is that the increased rolling resistance of the failed tire ,...........(long explanation).
You mentioned "rudder". This indicates to me that you've had "sym" training in handling "Vee-one cuts" (multi engine jets). This means to me that if you experience a front tire blowing in your MH, your cerebellum will instantly guide your hands to use the steering wheel such that you will remain in your lane. IMO THIS is the instant where add-on centering springs might work against you, due to the fact that you need to turn the steering wheel beyond the center that is selected in your add-on springs. AND THIS is why I would say that a proper damper without centering springs is a better choice for ME.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Gary, allow me to use your example to help others. The reason you placed quotes on your word "pull" is because you know that nothing actually pulls you to the side of the blowout. What actually happens is that the increased rolling resistance of the failed tire ,...........(long explanation).
You mentioned "rudder". This indicates to me that you've had "sym" training in handling "Vee-one cuts" (multi engine jets). This means to me that if you experience a front tire blowing in your MH, your cerebellum will instantly guide your hands to use the steering wheel such that you will remain in your lane. IMO THIS is the instant where add-on centering springs might work against you, due to the fact that you need to turn the steering wheel beyond the center that is selected in your add-on springs. AND THIS is why I would say that a proper damper without centering springs is a better choice for ME.
A SafeTPlus was designed to help keep the wheels pointed forward instead of the blown tire rim yanking the steering wheel to that side. Watch their videos.

The shock absorber that the OP is describing in not designed to do that.
It's designed to dampen out large vibrations from large tires like on off road vehicles.
You get what you pay for. I'm not going to cheap out on a part that is not designed to assist in a blow out.
Install whatever you want, I don't care.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:11 AM   #38

That's just it, there's no comparison. The Safe-T-Plus is first and foremost a safety feature, however it does offer a significant difference in driveability where it counts most. Wind, road wander, 18 wheelers passing, and increased steering responsiveness are all great examples.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:40 AM   #39

Update: I will order today a Monroe SC2921 which is a steering damper that has 3/4" Inside Diameter connectors.

On this commercial paper they say it is for commercial trucks and buses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304523733174

- Manufactured following strict OE standards to work like the original component
- Engineered using the latest technology to ensure the product lasts longer in service
- Features a factory-like fit for hassle-free installation
- Made of high-quality components for durability, reliability, and performance
- Designed specifically for trucks, trailers, and buses
- Guaranteed free of defects in material and workmanship for 2 years of 200,000 miles
Old 09-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe T Plus View Post
That's just it, there's no comparison. The Safe-T-Plus is first and foremost a safety feature, however it does offer a significant difference in driveability where it counts most. Wind, road wander, 18 wheelers passing, and increased steering responsiveness are all great examples.

Props to your fine product. I have been very pleased with the results of my install it has really transformed my driving experience.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Props to your fine product. I have been very pleased with the results of my install it has really transformed my driving experience.
Good to read this. You are in good security with your installation.

I will have the same engeneer's design bracket from Safe-T-Plus that you have. No risk to take with our security!

Looking forward to drive it and feel safer. It's a 150$ well spent!
Old 09-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
Good to read this. You are in good security with your installation.

I will have the same engeneer's design bracket from Safe-T-Plus that you have. No risk to take with our security!

Looking forward to drive it and feel safer. It's a 150$ well spent!
Better than nothing I suppose. You're part way there.

Tags
steering