Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 07:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
I edited my post to reflect that TYRON was not OEM...it was installed by the dealer. This is not an inexpensive system by the way...I think most folks would be priced out of installing it on an existing RV. It was cost effective during negotiation to add TYRON and a few other things into our purchase.
The TYRON will prevent a flat tire from going off the wheel and save your life.

But if the tire explode then the TYRON won't help. But this is very rare. I had a rear tire that exploded many years ago on my previous motorhome. It was a Goodyear G159. It destroyed the inside of the wheel house and my exhaust pipe. After this explosion, I discovered I was a victim of the G159 Tire Scandal. 170 000 tires had been installed on motorhomes and the steel belt was rusting and the tire was exploding on the highway. Motorhome builders to solve the problem got rid of the G159 in the front but kept them in the rear. There has been many death.

After that I made my first 150$ steering damper solution and I showed it on a thread and I hope I help save some lives.

If we can save some with this new thread I will be very satisfied. The thread killers should not worry, I rarely create threads.

P.S.: I found on kijiji.ca someone trying to sell 4 Goodyear G159 a few weeks later. I explained the woman that someone could die and showed her the scandal. I hope she did not sell them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 07:21 PM   #58
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Unbelievable.
Yeah, no kidding, especially this part:

Quote:
Now I take the conclusion it is different in USA and pilots probably don't need to understand much about the design behind their equipment.
Wow. Apparently he thinks American aviators and maintenance people are just, well, SMH.

Also, apparently in Canada they do not have separate disciplines for mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aeronautical engineering, fluid dynamics engineering, metallurgy, etc. because their pilots are "engineers".

Well, time to add another one to my Ignore list.

Ray
Old 09-14-2022, 07:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yeah, no kidding, especially this part:

Wow. Apparently he thinks American aviators and maintenance people are just, well, SMH.

Also, apparently in Canada they do not have separate disciplines for mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aeronautical engineering, fluid dynamics engineering, metallurgy, etc. because their pilots are "engineers".

Well, time to add another one to my Ignore list.

Ray
I did not say it was better. I said probably we do that in Canada because we have very few planes.

They are not engineers is a fact, not an accusation.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau
But before purchasing my cheap 150$ solution, wait for my follow-up on my installation.
cbilodeau, with respect, I again suggest following the advice above. When the install is complete and tested, post results, not conjecture.

You say you are an engineer...how do you plan to test the solution after installation? The only proper way to test is to have a controlled blowout (probably multiple blowout tests). Until that is done, no valid claims can be made as to the efficacy of the solution other than "I think this is better than what I had before," which would be insufficient for those that favor proven solutions (such as any of the engineers I know).
Old 09-15-2022, 07:57 AM   #61

Quote:
cbilodeau, with respect, I again suggest following the advice above. When the install is complete and tested, post results, not conjecture.

You say you are an engineer...how do you plan to test the solution after installation? The only proper way to test is to have a controlled blowout (probably multiple blowout tests). Until that is done, no valid claims can be made as to the efficacy of the solution other than "I think this is better than what I had before," which would be insufficient for those that favor proven solutions (such as any of the engineers I know).
I will simply test that my wheels turn left and right fully and have a road test. After the test I will forget this for 200000 miles since 200000 is the lifespan of it.

I am replacing a bus steering damper with a bus steering damper with same 3/4" I.D.. Just like we replace OEM calipers with aftermarket calipers. The bracket is the same Safe-T-Plus

I am 100% sure you're no engineer. Nice try. I know any engineer in the world would not write the posts you wrote. Even Safe-T-Plus engineer didn't need to test it on a front blow-out.

I GUESS THAT THE THREAD KILLERS HERE ARE PROBABLY SAFE-T-PLUS SELLERS.

PEOPLE BEWARE THEY WANT YOU TO PAY 1200$ TO 2000$ INCLUDING INSTALLATION FOR A SIMPLE DAMPER THAT CONNECT WITH 4 BOLTS ON YOUR TIE-ROD. DO IT YOURSELF FOR 150$ AND USE THE TORQUE ON THE DOCUMENTATION. No need to remove a wheel. No need to raise the motorhome. I use a long ratchet bar and a big wise-grip. Easy job.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
I am 100% sure you're no engineer. Nice try.
100% is pretty sure.

Did I somewhere in this thread lob the same insult toward you?
Old 09-15-2022, 09:23 AM   #63

Quote:
100% is pretty sure.

Did I somewhere in this thread lob the same insult toward you?
Sorry I don't want to insult.

Normally engineers in the first months of learning engineering are thought the basic of computing the forces and the direction of those forces.

Safe-T-Plus engineers computed the weight range of the motorhomes and designed a bracket. I use this bracket. I don't need to test it or compute it again.

Then for the computed force they selected a steering damper (a shock absorber) that could handle the force applied to the wheel on a sudden hit at let say 70 miles/hr. So we know their bracket and their steering damper are strong enough. No need to do a crash test.

Now we can replace their selected steering damper with any steering damper that has the same connections and that can handle the same forces. I chose a commercial bus (they carry 80 persons on board) steering damper with identical connection. No need to do a crash test. Monroe and Safe-T-Plus did their computations on computers, it is not a try and error process at all and they don't need to destroy a few buses.

The steering damper will receive a force in or out and that is it. Any shock absorber get to fight the forces in only two directions so we don't need to test them.

But please everybody, wait for my follow-up on my installation before bying.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #64
NXR

Cheap 150$ alternative to Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer 800$

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau
Even Safe-T-Plus engineer didn't need to test it on a front blow-out.
Haha, I'll just leave this right decade-old video here:

So yeah, they have over a decade of experience with their product and it appears you haven't done anything except read some Monroe information online.

Lemme think. Who should I trust?

Ray
Old 09-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Haha, I'll just leave this right decade-old video here:

So yeah, they have over a decade of experience with their product and it appears you haven't done anything except read some Monroe information online.

Lemme think. Who should I trust?

Ray
If they conduct a crash for this simple thing, it is for promotional purpose.

The engineers did not need a test. Did they change their bracket or steering damper after these crashes? LOL

If I do a crash of a simple product already on the market it is not a engineering test but a promotional video.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #66

I guess inflation has set in for a Safe-T-Plus. Now it's up to $1-2,000.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I guess inflation has set in for a Safe-T-Plus. Now it's up to $1-2,000.
The price is 600$ for the Safe-T-Plus bracket and steering damper.

But a wrote 1200$ to 2000$ INCLUDING INSTALLATION. Why don't you say it?

I wrote that because on this thread and on previous thread this is what people paid to have it professionally installed.

I want to explain that they try to convince us that it is a complex installation. But the documentation is clear. The job is easy. They give the torque specs. No need to raise the motorhome, no need to remove a wheel.

So my point is that we can save on the material AND ALSO on the installation so that our total cost are 150$.

HOW COME SO MANY ARE WRITING FALSE INFORMATION AND TRY TO MISLEAD PEOPLE ABOUT WHAT I WRITE?
I THINK SAFE-T-PLUS SELLERS are trying to kill this thread.

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:
PEOPLE BEWARE THEY WANT YOU TO PAY 1200$ TO 2000$ INCLUDING INSTALLATION FOR A SIMPLE DAMPER THAT CONNECT WITH 4 BOLTS ON YOUR TIE-ROD. DO IT YOURSELF FOR 150$ AND USE THE TORQUE ON THE DOCUMENTATION. No need to remove a wheel. No need to raise the motorhome. I use a long ratchet bar and a big wise-grip. Easy job.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #68

Quote:
Sorry I don't want to insult.
No need to apologize (insults just roll off me). I was more concerned if your statement was in response to somewhere in this thread where I may have posted a doubt as to whether you are an engineer. There is no such statement that I can find...please advise if feel otherwise.

Just in case I was incorrect (always a possibility), I dug my degree out of the storage bay. To my joy (and with no surprise) there it was in black and parchment...Bachelor of Science in Engineering...100%.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #69

Quote:
No need to apologize (insults just roll off me). I was more concerned if your statement was in response to somewhere in this thread where I may have posted a doubt as to whether you are an engineer. There is no such statement that I can find...please advise if feel otherwise.

Just in case I was incorrect (always a possibility), I dug my degree out of the storage bay. To my joy (and with no surprise) there it was in black and parchment...Bachelor of Science in Engineering...100%.
Your answers are not from an engineer, not even a first year school of engineering and I don't want to insult saying that.

Often in the past people with no engineering knowledge were coming with ridiculous explanations on my posts. There is a thread where people discussed about a cheap fix for 300 pages on IRV2 and discussions for months. I went under my motorhome and in 10 minutes I could see that they were all wrong. They were seeing all kind of complex forces in various directions, talking about "dynamic systems", etc. I explained them that in fact under our motorhomes the shock, the leaf spring, the air bags and event the torsion bar all work exactly in only one direction and they all add-up. They work vertically and that is it, very simple. Any engineer in 10 minutes could have tell them this from the start but the thread lasted probably two years.

In another thread I had so many people telling me a braking system on the car was required when towed. I told them they were all wrong. Many would show me their state laws website and I showed to each of them that they were wrong, it is simply that people did not know how to read that kind of technical language. Some showed me the various states laws that a braking towing system company was showing on their website to justify selling their product. I read all these documents and none of these were saying a braking towing system was required. The website was showing lot of legal documents knowing that almost nobody would open them or understand them. I proved to each of the skeptical that brought a specific part of the text what it really meant.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:47 AM   #70

Quote:
Your answers are not from an engineer, not even a first year school of engineering and I don't want to insult saying that.

Often in the past people with no engineering knowledge were coming with ridiculous explanations on my posts. There is a thread where people discussed about a cheap fix for 300 pages on IRV2 and discussions for months. I went under my motorhome and in 10 minutes I could see that they were all wrong. They were seeing all kind of complex forces in various directions, talking about "dynamic systems", etc. I explained them that in fact under our motorhomes the shock, the leaf spring, the air bags and event the torsion bar all work exactly in only one direction and they all add-up. They work vertically and that is it, very simple. Any engineer in 10 minutes could have tell them this from the start but the thread lasted probably two years.

In another thread I had so many people telling me a braking system on the car was required when towed. I told them they were all wrong. Many would show me their state laws website and I showed to each of them that they were wrong, it is simply that people did not know how to read that kind of technical language. Some showed me the various states laws that a braking towing system company was showing on their website to justify selling their product. I read all these documents and none of these were saying a braking towing system was required. The website was showing lot of legal documents knowing that almost nobody would open them or understand them. I proved to each of the skeptical that brought a specific part of the text what it really meant.
Wow...

Really, just...WOW...
Closed Thread

Tags
steering