Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
Steering damper : The steering stabilizer's primary function is to dampen or stabilize the side to side movement of the wheels in much the same way shock absorbers limiting excessive suspension movement & oscillation. Steering stabilizers are a necessary component because it helps to absorb bump-steer and flighty steering issues.

Read more here.
Your statement above is a quote from the link you provided. If you read the whole article in the link you will also see that it also says, "The fact is, if you have your suspension/steering dialed in correctly, you could drive around all day without any steering stabilizer at all and likely wouldn't notice a difference on smooth flat terrain."

All that aside, if you think you have improved your ride, GOOD. If you want to tell us about it, GOOD.

My point is Monroe SC2955 is NOT THE SAME AS A SAFE-T-PLUS. It isn't even similar. Monroe SC2955 is intended for a different purpose.

If you want something similar to Safe-T-Plus you might consider RoadMaster Reflex, RoadMaster Exact Center and possibly others. Or maybe SteerSafe. It is a centering device that uses springs to center the steering but does not have a steering dampener.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Your statement above is a quote from the link you provided. If you read the whole article in the link you will also see that it also says, "The fact is, if you have your suspension/steering dialed in correctly, you could drive around all day without any steering stabilizer at all and likely wouldn't notice a difference on smooth flat terrain."

All that aside, if you think you have improved your ride, GOOD. If you want to tell us about it, GOOD.

My point is Monroe SC2955 is NOT THE SAME AS A SAFE-T-PLUS. It isn't even similar. Monroe SC2955 is intended for a different purpose.

If you want something similar to Safe-T-Plus you might consider RoadMaster Reflex, RoadMaster Exact Center and possibly others. Or maybe SteerSafe. It is a centering device that uses springs to center the steering but does not have a steering dampener.
No I didn't improve my ride and I wasn't expecting any improvement since the shock will show his presence only on a sudden hit. My hands are not fast and strong enough to have the shock absorber do much when I drive. Lol When I turn the wheels to one side it takes me many seconds.

But a front blowout can move the wheels to one side completely in a fraction of a second! The shock absorber in this kind of situation will bring a "sudden" opposing force and could save lifes. Take a hammer and hit an open shock absorber, it won't move. But ask your grandmother to push the rod of that shock absorber and it will close easily simply because her force is distributed over many seconds.

So I did this install ONLY to help me in case of a front blowout.

You are showing steering damper products to which springs are added to return to center. If you need this extra feature for better ride then go for it. But instead of 150$ you will pay a lot more for a nice-to-have feature that has nothing to do about security during a front blowout because even your own hands are much much stronger than those springs since they don't stop you from turning the wheels. The force of an opposing spring is constant no matter the speed of the force you apply. The shock absorber force is exponential and this is exactly what is needed to oppose a sudden hit to the wheels. I hope it's clear now.
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:54 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't mean ride as in comfort I meant ride as in your car/truck/motorhome/wheels etc. I meant, If you think you have improved your motorhome. Poor choice of words on my part
Old 11-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #18

I'm curious about the "return to center" springs. I don't get those. On passenger vehicles return to center is usually just accomplished by the amount of "caster" designed or adjusted into the alignment of the front suspension. Are larger RV's given less caster than smaller vehicles?
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I'm curious about the "return to center" springs. I don't get those. On passenger vehicles return to center is usually just accomplished by the amount of "caster" designed or adjusted into the alignment of the front suspension. Are larger RV's given less caster than smaller vehicles?
I don't know. But added spring is simply a more agressive approach to the amount of caster. Yesterday at Walmart parking lot someone had huge tires on his relatively small truck. It was incredible, very wide tires. They added a double steering damper because those are hard to control when they hit something.

If the ride of this little truck is not comfortable, for sure two springs would help his hands. In this case an agressive return to center is welcome. I can imagine than when he hits something the truck body is also moving in all directions "being pushed upward" by the shock absorbers. The truck weight is simply too low for the forces those bouncing huge tires are bringing upward.

I can imagine that the shorter Motorhomes could have same kind of problem as this little truck and so the Safe-T-Plus with springs would be helpful for them.
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Note, these discussions are mainly aimed at Ford and Workhorse gas chassis with solid front axles. DPs and independent suspension front suspension may need a different discussion.

GypsyR, you are right. Caster setting of the front steering has a great affect on front line stability, that is 'return to center' and 'steering wander'. Motorhomes, trucks, cars and even motorcycles respond to increased caster. Motorcycles that have been modified with long extended forks don't hardly want to turn?

Click this THREAD for a LONG discussion on caster, its affect on straight line stability.

There are those on the forum that first had their caster set to +5° ±.5° and then added the spring centering assist and claim an improvement in front line stability with each step. I adjusted the caster and then experimented a little with front tire pressure and think I don't want to spend $500 or more for a steering stabilizer. I think it is fine now!

There are claims that spring devices such as Steer-Safe, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster Reflex, steering dampener etc. assist during a front tire blow out by assisting the driver in maintaining straight ahead trajectory. Maybe, but I'm a little skeptical.

Off road driving in a Jeep without a steering dampener can be very exciting. If you hit a rock with one front tire the steering violently turns toward the direction of the tire that hit the rock. This violent turning can be fast enough that the steering wheel is jerked out of the driver's hands. The steering dampener slows this reaction so that the driver can counter the sudden turn.

The OP, cbilodeau, of this thread has a point. A simple steering dampener may be as effective at maintaining control during a front tire blow event as the spring devices similar to Safe-T-Plus that incorporate a steering stabilizer in with the springs.

In this an explosive device blows a front tire. It then shows multiple vehicle types continue in a straight line after the front tire blow out. I am a retired engineer. I know that this video is not a valid proof of design. For the test to be valid they need to show the same vehicles, having the same blowout with out the Safe-T-Plus. My educated guess (my 2˘ opinion) is most or all the vehicles would behave the same way with or without the Safe-T-Plus. A catastrophic accident is rare during a front tire blowout.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #21

A motorcycle with long forks? Ummm, my main bike since 1987 is eight and half feet long with an "18 inch over" springer front for set. I can provide pics if pressed but we are swinging off topic. But oh yeah, on my race bikes I would sometimes raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps for quicker turn-in on tight tracks. A quick and dirty geometry adjustment.

For folks that are truly going off road in mud and low speed trails we like to dial back the caster to about nothing. With extra wide tires and even widened wheel bases the king pin inclination angle adds enough extra steering effort as is. What people with such setups that only showboat on the street do I don't know. I guess freeway speed stability would be a concern so probably they keep factory-ish caster.

My coach is a leaf-sprung beam axle. It's basically at an "it ain't broke, don't fix it stage" so...REALLY I just became curious if coaches like mine were given less caster to start with for some reason. Heavy vehicles such as RV's and medium duty trucks are out of my experience area. Ne need for geometry lessons. I've been aligning my personal vehicles for some 35 years now.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Jury is out with me on the Safetee... I under stand the Spring assist.. I fell that many use it as a band aide also.. It can also be the icing on the cake to a well set up RV..

I have used the HD Monroe or KYB gas charged HD dampeners... either for HD vehicles and or Offroad..
I find them HELP ALot over none or worn oem..
I also like urethane bushings to soak up any movement .. I made bushings for my last setup.. Delrin and my lathe..
My 96 E350 30 ft load to max GVW.. is stable..

Catastrophic frt blow out,, will be an OH poop moment regardless...

I have the same feeling about sumo or timbren addon cushions.. Some RV's have bad weight distribution and these can help but Most 10+ old RV's are in need of suspension work,, either new springs or rebuilt,, These heavy house just sit there 24/7 LOADED.. it is not like a big box truck that is no load for half its life...
AGAIN a well set up suspension is a huge assest event for steering, body roll etc..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Raodmaster has upped the anti and done one better. It's the Exact Center and appears to well worth the money.
But then again that's just me
Old 11-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #24

I think the Safe-T-Plus and the RoadMaster are solid choices. Personally, I would not trust these cheap-o Amazon specials as far as I could throw it. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.,
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering