Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2022, 09:31 AM   #1

Cheap 150$ alternative to Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer - follow up

IT WORKS!!!! So happy!

The blue shock absorber 41-230 in the Safe-T-Plus solution cost about 700$ + installation. But I have tested a cheaper 150$ solution on my motorhome.

On my Freightliner 40 foot 2011 and I have installed a Monroe SC2921 45$ on the Safe-T-Plus bracket 104$.

The Safe-T-Plus shock absorber (steering damper) that goes on the Safe-T-Plus bracket was too much money for me.

In more details:

The Safe-T-Plus for your motorhome is made of two products, the shock absorber (steering damper) and a specific Bracket for your specific motorhome.

To find the shock absorber and the bracket for your motorhome search on google for: Safe T Plus Chassis Guide. Here is the link for 2022.

For example for my Freightliner XC I need to measure the Tie-Rod diameter to determine my bracket part number. In my case the tie-rod was 1-3/4" so I ordered the bracket F-143K3 for 104$US. For this bracket we need a steering damper that is 3/4 diameter. So I took the Monroe SC2921 that is used on city buses.

My tests: when I turn the wheels completely left or right, the Monroe SC2921 still has 3/4" on each side available which means it's long enough. I drove on the highway and it works perfectly. The Monroe SC2921 has a travel length of 10.688".

The Monroe doesn't have a spring on it so your wheels won't return to center automatically. But the Monroe steering damper will protect you in case of a front tire explosion. It's the steering damper and not the spring that protects from a front tire explosion.

To install, no need to raise the motorhome. My 14 year old teenager installed it on my supervision in 30 minutes. You need to follow the Safe-T-Plus torque specs. I put the wheels straight and then we installed the system while the Monroe steering damper was open exactly half-way (5.34" since the travel lenght of the Monroe is 10.688"). So easy. Once installed, we turned the wheels full left and could see that we still had 3/4" unused. Same when the wheels are full right.

Total cost is 150$.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2022, 12:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great write up ! Others should take note!
Thanks!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #3

Old 11-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #4

I read this same thing somewhere a few months ago. Was that you too?
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #5

OK, I see. It's an update.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #6
US1

That's great! Ive been wanting to do the Safe T Plus but the high cost for what I see has kept me from jumping on board in the last yr I owned the RV. (Yes I understand the cost vs the what if's) Planning on getting a DP this winter, so it hasn't been at the top of my list to spend $$ for a no return, but if we do keep this RV, I will be doing something as. Thanks for the alternative.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

I have a 2002 Winnebago SunDancer 28 Ft.

I got this last year and I installed a new front sway bar. Since I was working on it I also replaced the original steering damper that came on the rig ( Ford E450 chassis )
I used a Monroe SC2955 that cost $32 from Amazon.
Installed easily.
Works well

I can't tell you what it was like to drive it with the original damper. It was shot thou as it has no resistance when I took it off.
My MH drives pretty good thou for a 20 year old unit. I have driven it about 2,000 miles mostly on interstates going about 60 MPH.

Kip

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:03 AM   #8

Why is there such a big difference in the price on the Safte plus and the Monroe? That is a big price gap if both are equal.
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safe-T-Plus is a centering device that has internal springs to pull the steering back to center. It also is a steering dampener using a shock absorber.

The Monroe SC2921 is ONLY a shock absorber type steering dampener. It reduces shock to the steering wheel. It does not have a return to center feature.

Comparing the Safe-T-Plus to the Monroe SC2921 is not a valid comparison because they are designed to do different things.
  • Safe-T-Plus centers the steering wheel and reduces road shock to the steering wheel
  • Monroe SC2921 reduces road shock to the steering wheel

Because it does more and has more parts the Safe-T-Plus cost more.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:21 AM   #10

Safe-T-Plus added two 20$ springs pulling from each side. Like the cruise control on your motorhome, it's there to help you drive.

But don't be fooled by those that paid 2000$ having a Safe-T-Plus installed, only the shock absorber will increase it's resistance expotiennaly on a sudden hit.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:06 AM   #11

You needed a 1/2" rod steering damper and the Monroe SC2955 is perfect in your application and could probably be used for older Motorhomes on Ford F53 that takes the Safe-T-Plus 1/2" rod bracket.

In my case my Safe-T-Plus bracket required a 3/4" rod diameter.

Good job!
Old 11-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
Safe-T-Plus added two 20$ springs pulling from each side. Like the cruise control on your motorhome, it's there to help you drive.

But don't be fooled by those that paid 2000$ having a Safe-T-Plus installed, only the shock absorber will increase it's resistance expotiennaly on a sudden hit.
Now it's up to 2000$? Lol.

The SafeTPlus was designed to help counteract the pull of a blowout.
A steering damper is there just to dampen out vibrations, like when you put oversize tires on a Jeep or pickup for offroading.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Safe-T-Plus claims:
  • reduced driver fatigue because it reduces road wander because the springs keep the steering centered
  • enhanced driver control in case of a blowout by assisting the driver in maintaining a straight line because the springs keep the steering centered

Personally I'm not convinced but that is the claim. I also don't feel the need for a steering dampener on my motorhome. On my Jeep off road it is essential!
Old 11-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #14

Steering damper : The steering stabilizer's primary function is to dampen or stabilize the side to side movement of the wheels in much the same way shock absorbers limiting excessive suspension movement & oscillation. Steering stabilizers are a necessary component because it helps to absorb bump-steer and flighty steering issues.

Read more here.
cbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering