Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Check the bottom of your propane tank

I spotted some rust on my frame rails last week when I had the exhaust worked on. Crawled in the rig today to clean the rust and paint the rusty spots. Glad I did. I usually donít pay too much attention to the propane tank other then when itís being filled and thatís through the side hatch. When I got under the rig today I found the entire bottom of the propane tank was rusted and the paint was flaking off. I hand wire brushed and scraped to solid paint then sprayed on the undercoating/rust treatment that we use on all our vehicles (New Hampshire Oil Undercoating- NHOU.com). I had a spray can of it that I had bought for touch ups so I used it on the tank. The tank is still solid but I donít know how long it would have taken to rust all the way through. My tank is mounted curbside in front of the rear wheels so itís exposed to a lot of road salt in the winter. You can bet that part of my regular inspections will be to crawl under and check the tank. Crappy photo attached but it will give you the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9FF1C50-D8DF-4781-9A3F-FB9D763C0225.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	296559  
CaptainSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #2

LP TANKS...... wall thickness 9/32" - 5/16" (Lots of metal ----- surface rust non-issue)

LP Cylinders...wall thickness 1/8"
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

There are a couple of products on the market that have a good reputation for stopping rust. The brand names are Wool Wax and Fluid Film. Both of them are basically lanolin but at least Fluid Film comes in a spray can and I imagine that Wool Wax does too but the nice thing is that is non-toxic and it will creep into the little crevices where rust tends to hide. I've used it recently and it seems to do a pretty good job but I don't have enough experience with it to know a lot about it, but I will in a couple of years. Maybe someone else here has been using it longer. It's a little easier to apply that scraping and painting.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
POR-15 is guaranteed to stop rust permanently
Old 08-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
There are a couple of products on the market that have a good reputation for stopping rust. The brand names are Wool Wax and Fluid Film. Both of them are basically lanolin but at least Fluid Film comes in a spray can and I imagine that Wool Wax does too but the nice thing is that is non-toxic and it will creep into the little crevices where rust tends to hide. I've used it recently and it seems to do a pretty good job but I don't have enough experience with it to know a lot about it, but I will in a couple of years. Maybe someone else here has been using it longer. It's a little easier to apply that scraping and painting.

I used to use Fluid Film, actually I still do on my Kubota tractor. I switched to NH Oil Undercoating on all my vehicles a couple years ago. Very similar to Wool Wax as it's non-toxic and it does creep - a lot. My Jeep Wrangler still has it creeping out the bottom of the doors after having it done a year ago. The tank was all surface rust but I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
LP TANKS...... wall thickness 9/32" - 5/16" (Lots of metal ----- surface rust non-issue)

LP Cylinders...wall thickness 1/8"
Ahh, factions ?????? Been a long driving day.

The onboard tank is more then twice as thick as a BBQ cylinder.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used a product called Chassis Saver. You still have to wire brush and remove all loose rust. I found that Chassis Saver was easy to apply and did not need the prep coat. You can get it on Amazon

https://magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #8

I sand blast, prime and paint rusted stuff like a propane tank. Possibly mask off and spray some undercoat on the bottom edge to keep rock chips away.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
+1. I've used POR-15 on a lot of things in the past. Works great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
POR-15 is guaranteed to stop rust permanently
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:14 AM   #10

The original propane tank on our motorhome was way beyond scraping and painting so I replaced it.
I also replaced the missing mudflap behind the right rear dual and installed another mudflap closer to the front of the tank to stop road debris from hitting the tank. So far 3 years and no chips in the paint on the tank.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy01 View Post
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy01 View Post

+1. Used to have a 1971 MGB. I KNOW a thing or 2 about RUST.

Tags
propane, tank