RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The poor man's battery fill device. Recycled Ketchup Bottle and a piece of 3/16" clear tubing. Just squeeze to add water.
This works great and only costs a few bucks. I had kept and empty bottle and got some 3/8 OD tubing. Ran a 3/8 bit with my hand through the cap and the tubing slides in nice a snug and seals very well.

On my rig this is really the only way to fill the batteries without taking two out and sliding up the back two.

Great idea and glad you posted this, thanks again!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
An hour of charging may not fully charge the batteries.
Before anything have all your tools etc at the ready.

Make a solution of a few tablespoons of baking powder to about 8 oz water. Use a brush to apply and clean off the top of the batteries and connectors. Rinse well afterwards. As mentioned above clean the terminals and connections. later spray with a red antioxidant to protect the connections

A battery hydrometer from walmart will help tell you the condition of each cell. very easy to use. before you start to charge batteries use the hydrometer to record the value of Specific Gravity of each cell. If you have a low value on one cell that may be an indicator of some problem. important - before charging make sure the plates are at least covered with distilled water so as not to damage the cell barrier strips or burn the plates

I would use a good battery charger to fully charge my batteries over night at a slow or low rate so as not to overheat them. then check with the hydrometer again and note any low cell. Harbor freight has a nice unit for under $50 https://www.ebay.com/i/122900698237?chn=ps the fully charged battery will now have a higher water level as the plates swell some. set it for regular battery and a low charge rate.

Now you can fill the cells to the slotted point of the filler. Use a flash light to inspect. I use a regular disposable water bottle with a little hole in the screw on top and stick it in the cell and squeeze a little to fill the cell to proper level. My batteries usually take about 8oz per cell every 9-10 months.

After all the cells are full, reconnect the wires and spray with anti corrosion spray you got at walmart. always cheaper than at autozone etc.

Finally, done NO now you should charge the batteries again to get the full charge. and afterward check with the hydrometer to insure all cells are at a full or near full capacity of specific gravity.

My AGM starting batteries are now 12 years old and still cranking. My 6 v house batteries are now three almost four years old and all cells are perfect.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Very FIRST thing you need to do before checkign/topping off battery water levels

FULLY CHARGE THEM.

If you top off first and then charge the water will swell and leak out vents on caps
Recommend 2 step checks / fill.
Make sure all cells are above plates
Charge batty bank fully
Top off to proper level
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Recommend 2 step checks / fill.
Make sure all cells are above plates
Charge batty bank fully
Top off to proper level
AND recharge to capacity. It may work fine without doing it but I like the diluted acid to be at full values. It only helps.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #33

My only way of charging is either generator or by portable solar. The coach will not have power until I take it home in the spring.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #34

You can pick up one of these telescopic inspection mirrors at the local auto parts. Makes it easy to see down into the cells. You'll have to tilt it around a bit and when just right you'll be able to get a good look.

https://www.amazon.com/Huayang-14-5-...dp/B074J74H1L/
geraldz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, water