Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Chevy 8.1 cranks won't start

Hi, I have a 06 Holiday Rambler with Chevy 8.1L engine we just got done with 8 hr drive into NM, parked the rig put out the slides, found out I needed to move a few feet. While putting the slides in I tried to start the rig, no start. I guess the slides have to be in all the way. Put the slides in, engine cranks but no start. Did I maybe blow a fuse our relay when trying to start at the same time as putting slides in? Is there a pressure switch or something sensing the slide is in? Or am I looking in the wrong place and it is an engine issue. The rig run great the whole trip. I did have to replace the alternater a few days ago.
mant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
no start

can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to run it should run for a few seconds i have not worked on a motor home but we get several calls a year with the same symptom in light trucks and autos run fine shut down no restart till a fuel pump is replaced. fyi keep fuel tank over half full as mush as possible the fuel cools or dissipates the heat from the pump
Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

I will check and see, we did start and stop a few times during the trip with no problems. I wonder where the fuel pump in, please don't say in the fuel tank
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Well I just went to see if the fuel pump was running, I wasn't sure so I tried starting and away it went. Is it possible it was flooded? It did cool down for about a hour and half. We are traveling to the east coast and now I'm nervous about the starting issue. I do have Good Sam for roadside assist
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

I would have the obd 2 scanned to see if there were any codes. First thought would be fuel pump, then ignition module, crank or cam sensor.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #6

Where would the obd be located, does auto parts stores scan for you?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

I'm starting to think fuel pump, there is a distinct buzzing coming from the fuel tank, I noticed it this morning before heading out but didn't realize where it was coming from. I started the rig(started right up) and went to look and sure enough. I'm thinking it won't make the eat coast, does anyone know of a repair shop in Santa Fe NM
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

Many will scan.

There also are cheap scanners.

We got one from autozone years ago for 19 bucks.

Has display and 2 buttons.

Read and erase.

It will read codes and erase them one at a time.

Best investment as it told me wich glow plug to change.

Call around and see if you can find something like it.

Many are expensive but you do not need that much.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

The scan plug should be located somewhere near the steering colum. Most major auto parts stores will scan it for free, just call ahead and ask.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mant View Post
I'm starting to think fuel pump, there is a distinct buzzing coming from the fuel tank, I noticed it this morning before heading out but didn't realize where it was coming from. I started the rig(started right up) and went to look and sure enough. I'm thinking it won't make the eat coast, does anyone know of a repair shop in Santa Fe NM

I Googled Workhorse Dealer In Santa Fe and came up with:

Hal Burns Truck & Equipment Service
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

In my opinion, the buzzing you're hearing is a good sign. When I check for a bad fuel pump, I listen for that. No buzz, no go. My Silverado buzzes like a bumblebee in your ear. Very loud. My cavalier, not so loud, but still audible.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #12

Thanks everyone, this forum is invaluable! We are still in Santa Fe and going to the workhorse dealer(Hal Burns) this morning. I spoke to Hal Burns Saturday and the said bad fuel pumps are pretty common, he stocks them in his shop. Anyway they will check and see what the problem is. If it is the fuel pump he said 4 hrs to fix. My only other problem is making Virginia by Easter, I guess I I have some long day ahead!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #13

Well it looks like the fuel pump is bad, they tested the pump pressure and it was at the lowest pressure, first they replaced the fuel filter which was pretty dirty. I was hoping that was the cause of the low pressure but they tested again and there was no change, so instead of risking a 1800 mile drive worrying if the pump would give out they are going to replace it tomorrow and hopefully we we be on the road at some point Tuesday, 1800 miles in 4 days

Tags
chevy