Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #15

We have been fulltime in our 05 Dolphin since new. I have had only a few problems with the appliances. New Norcold cooling coils in 2015, new water pump in 2009, new microwave in 2011. Not any worse than a stick house. Oh ya rebuilt the Sealand 510 in 2015. Can not complain.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:13 AM   #16

Angry No to NORCOLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJohnsonsv View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if others have experienced what I have.

I am gutting a vintage RV, so I have the "luxury" of choosing every appliance and component that goes into the renovation. My hope when I got started was that I'd be able to choose high quality, state-of-the-art RV products for my project. (Note that I don't believe that good quality and super expensive need to be synonymous, but, price wasn't a main factor for me)

My issue is that with the very limited choices in manufactures of RV appliances, it seems that there has been a monopoly-effect. Thats is, with only a couple vendors on the market, the quality is generally really poor and the cost is high - because there is no competition.

Without specifically slamming any one vendor, when it came to the refrigerator, range and furnace choices, the lack of vendors meant that I often had to decide on the "best of the worst".

My general experience with the units I've purchased (but not yet installed) from Attwood, Dometic and Suburban is that they are built with cheap (thin) plastics, thin metal, flimsy construction, poor packaging, poor customer support (based on reviews) and poor price/quality ratio.

It's frustrating building custom cabinets and focusing on fine finish details then installing a rickety, thin, fragile range that seems like it will fall apart if I hit a speed bump too fast.

WDYT?
Zephyrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrguy View Post
Whatever you decide, DO NOT get the 4 door NORCOLD refrigerator. Warranty is worthless.
Zephyrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:09 AM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Refrigerator & Appliances

I would stick with a functioning appliance if there is not an issue with the appliance.

We have a 24 year old Dometic fridge, works fine, but the fridge has also been protected for half of its life for the main obsolescence: boiler overheating and resulting failure.

If your fridge is not working, you can rebuild it. Why? The older fridge has good sturdy construction. If you install a Fridge Defend, the fridge should last the life of the RV (given you have no issues with the present cooling unit). Another reason to just rebuild it if needed, you do the work and it is done right. See below and click the link 'Manuals & Troubleshooting Resources'. We have videos on how to replace the cooling unit, it is really not to hard if you know the tricks, which we point out in the video.

As far as the fridge controls, most are available through our friend Dinosaur Electronics. Just replace stuff that is not working, if it works leave it alone unless there is a safety of upgrade involved, which the fridge falls under this category.

For the stove, there is not much to go wrong with them.

We hope this is helpful, and we agree that the newer RV stuff is made by accountants and not engineers.

One last thing, we replaced our propane regulator because we had a 1950s Parker regulator. The replacement regulator failed within 2 years. I disassembled the Parker, no problem at all! The diaphragm looked new! I just moved the grease into the moving parts and re-assembled it. The regulator has a 4" diaphragm which is needed for changing altitude. The new regulator that failed in 2 years had a 2" diaphragm, it could not correct for altitude, the gas pressure was not regulated properly when traveling.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:50 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Folks, this thread was started in 2017. Until last night, that was the last post. Zombie threads don’t get much traction, so if you need information, you are better off starting a new thread.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Forget "RV" appliances. With a few exceptions just about all our our MH 'stuff' is residential.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 AM   #21

It seems to me that I had a lot more problems with appliances back when we were weekend wariors than we have as full timers. Sitting unused is perhaps worse than constant use. Of course I also clean the burners, change filters, and perform the routine maintenance to keep things running right.
It does seem like newer coaches are getting more complicated with electronic gadgets that really don't improve life and just give you more things to go wrong.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality