Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLoves2Sk View Post
They now have giant printing machines that can pass down the side of a large wall and paint anything you want. It won't be long now before you can custom design your own RV paint and lay it on in an afternoon. Wednesday of that you won't need swirls anymore. What would you put on there?
I can see a lot of universities, pro sports teams, etc. I imagine some of these will become a bit over the top and will push the edge, eh?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Sorry, I quit reading after the fourth "r" and second "2". What is apparently easy for you to type is distracting for some of us to read.
I agree. If you can’t type complete sentences you probably don’t have much to say.

Maybe it’s just the part of me that’s been a teacher, but even as a truck driving instructor I would hand stuff like that back with the not. “Put it in English”
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

It’s a matter of what you feel is acceptable and how well the painting was applied. I have seen some way over the top designs and others that are more tasteful. I have rejected brands and models based on the paint scheme. I have seen coaches that are painted pure white. I like the paint on my coach but not on the newer ones of the same brand.

Another thing to consider is paint quality. Ugly paint scheme or not, most coach manufacturers who apply full body paint tend to apply multiple coats of both paint and clear coat and properly sand and/or clay as a part of their painting process. Regardless of the design, if an owner keeps his paint cleaned and waxed it will last much longer and hold up much better. When I sold my beloved 1996 Nissan 300ZX before going full time, the paint still shined like the day I purchased it 20+ years before because I took care of it. I also take care of the paint on my coach.

Decals are another issue. Even if properly applied at the factory, they still look like raised vinyl decals. I don’t care for the look and they also need to be cleaned and waxed just like your coach or they will fade. Just my personal opinion.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Sorry, I quit reading after the fourth "r" and second "2". What is apparently easy for you to type is distracting for some of us to read.
Me too or should I say me 2
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #33

There’s always room for change.
Hdfooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
We watched our Tiffin be painted and it is hand taped and sprayed by hand. An interesting process to watch as it takes many applications with clean up after each layer of tape is removed. The reason they all do the swirls is for the same reason, it sells. While most like the swirls we occasionally run into a few that don't like it. Based on the sales numbers it appears that most like the swirls. Having an rv without swirls would be more then likely be a nitch market. I know that Tiffin has painted a few one solid color for customes but it costs a fortune.
Coffee Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Swirl paint schemes tend to hide any imperfections in the exterior walls so they are an advantage in manufacturing. I actually think most of the swirl paint jobs on coaches look pretty good even though I only have black and white.

Most people I know would choose 4 color swirl paint over 1 solid color on a Class A. Class B's are often a solid color because they already come painted from the auto manufacturer.
I love your paint scheme, so clean and simple.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #36

Custom paint

In late 2014 we had the opportunity to custom order our 2015 Class A DP. Among many custom items it has a 4 color swirl paint job on the front, back and both sides that we paid extra for. We have gotten many verbal "likes" about the appearance of our Coach at many different camp grounds. I'm sure we had other people say to themselves that they did not like our paint scheme. The important thing is that we like it.
Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #37

I see lots of very relevant responses here, and I also think this is a great topic.
One has to remember however, a motorhome, apposed to a vehicle, does not have body lines per se. Vehicle manufacturers put thousands of hours thinking about body lines, and contours. With what was referred to as a loaf of bread (good description) there are none of these reveals or contours, so to make the MoHo look marginally appealing while parked or driving down the road they turn to paint. Now having said this, I think that more could be done to increase the appeal by introducing painted shadow lines and such but the cost would increase drastically, and thus the swirls.
Again great discussion, I too have thought about this for a while.
mderick25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #38

The swirls do tend to look the same, although I did see a VanLeigh 5er that looked good in black with bright red accents. I don’t know what I would do differently though.

I watched people putting decals on a typical TT. Strip a piece of backing, slap it on, and squeegee it down. No effort to align anything, but the patterns are so random I guess it doesn’t matter.

The worst thing on that trailer brand was the advertising stickers. It was a rolling billboard for component manufacturers. I spent a lot of time scrubbing that junk off!
Old 10-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #39

This is why

I kinda like the swirl look, so we took our 2003 navigator and updated it a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C01124CE-219F-42CB-A965-10C1C2E56DD6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	547.7 KB
ID:	345729  
Harry m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Say what you want about the swirls, but it's personal preference. I saw a black Prevost on the highway one day. As he blew by I noticed the nice big white graffiti tag, curbside. That coach was an invitation that someone accepted.
TraditionBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #41

Swirl designs.

I would love to see something different.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:18 AM   #42

One reason is (I think) that it helps mask the imperfections in the outside skin, since it can be wavy.
Ryancasey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, paint