Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #1

Class A vs. Super C differences?

I’m still hoping to go full time soon, although discussions to order a LA never got off the ground.

Even though the MA, LA, etc. have not been included in this axle weight discussion, the whole thing has caused me to consider other options again.

I looked at renegaderv.com and haulmarkmotorhome.com. I see a lot to like about the Super C truck conversions… also downsides.

Was wondering if anyone has taken a look at these compared to the class A (for full-timing)? If you have, could I get your feedback.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
I’m still hoping to go full time soon, although discussions to order a LA never got off the ground.

Even though the MA, LA, etc. have not been included in this axle weight discussion, the whole thing has caused me to consider other options again.

I looked at renegaderv.com and haulmarkmotorhome.com. I see a lot to like about the Super C truck conversions… also downsides.

Was wondering if anyone has taken a look at these compared to the class A (for full-timing)? If you have, could I get your feedback. Don’t want to hijack this thread, so perhaps on a different thread?

I guess great minds think alike. Like you, we are not thrilled with Newmar's current issues. We are also just checking out the Super C's to see if they may make sense for our needs. Downside that we find is you have a choice between single axle 40' rigs or you have to go to 45' for a double axle. We don't need the towing power of a 600 hp rig, but a few extra hp doesn't hurt.

One question that I'm curious about is what is the "normal" discount on a Super C from the MSRP. There is a dealer in Phoenix who has several Renegades in stock and they are sure head turners.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #3

Be sure to pay attention to storage capability. Just looking at the outsides of some Super Cs I don't see a lot of basement doors.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Be sure to pay attention to storage capability. Just looking at the outsides of some Super Cs I don't see a lot of basement doors.

That is one of the downsides. Another is that certain RV "Resorts" will not take any Class C's, even ones that are in the $600,000 range.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #5

I am a regular truck kind of person, and my old Super-C, and current Truck Conversion have traditional cabs. I have lots of basement storage, don't confuse a Super-C based on medium duty or higher truck chassis with a regular C.

As to advantages of truck based? I like the easier engine access for service and maintenance, try to do most of my own when I can. I have never hit any type of towing weight limit with a truck chassis. I like having two regular doors to get in the cab, plus the side RV door. My current, and old one, both had the over cab bunk, which is real nice for storage area of bulky items. You can not have too much power, whatever type MH you choose.

Yes, some places will not take a truck-based MH, even if they are nicer than a Class A. So I go somewhere else and never have had problems. I think it mainly comes down to preference what you like.

Just a technicality, a Super-C is usually based on a class 6 medium duty (think 2.5 ton) chassis, whereas a truck conversion is based on class 8 truck (big rig). I do not consider my truck conversion to be a Super-C, it is way bigger and heavier.

You can find a lot of used truck conversions on www.racingjunk.com as one good place to look for examples.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just a technicality, a Super-C is usually based on a class 6 medium duty (think 2.5 ton) chassis, whereas a truck conversion is based on class 8 truck (big rig). I do not consider my truck conversion to be a Super-C, it is way bigger and heavier.
Just to clarify -

A 'Super C' would weight 26,000# or less?

Above that weight, it's called a 'truck conversion?'

26,000# is the dividing line between 'medium' duty (class 6) and 'heavy' duty (class 7, 8).

What's the difference between 'class C' and 'Super-C'?
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

To best of my knowledge, yes a medium duty based will likely have GVWR of 26K or less. However there are some medium duty with air brakes that can go over 26K. But I think as general rule, a Super-C based on medium duty chassis will be hydraulic brakes and GVWR of 26K or lower. Depends on a lot of variables: wheelbase, springs, wheels/tires, engine, trans, and more. The Dynamax is sort of an exception to this, as the newer ones are air brakes and a smaller truck chassis and cab (ie business class), so they have more than 26K GVWR; but they are still considered a Super-C by most since their length is more like other Super-C. Truck conversions tend to be longer like 40-45 ft, similar to a large Class A.

Actual MH weight is less than GVWR. GCWR is higher than GVWR, as it also includes towed trailer or towed vehicle weight.

A Class C is typically built on a 1-ton based chassis and usually a van style cab. A Super-C is always a truck style cab. Many Class C are built with finished MH weights close to the GVWR, so be aware of that. It can limit your towing capability.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Are truck conversions noisy on the road?
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Are truck conversions noisy on the road?
Mine is not too bad, but I am sure it is more than a class A with engine in the back. My truck conversion is much quieter than my old Super-C which had the engine cover inside the cab like a Class C does. However I would not call my T/C car quiet, especially the new cars nowdays are almost silent inside. I guess it comes down to expectations, with a big 15 liter engine up front and the trans right below the floor, you get some noise.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I guess great minds think alike. Like you, we are not thrilled with Newmar's current issues. We are also just checking out the Super C's to see if they may make sense for our needs. Downside that we find is you have a choice between single axle 40' rigs or you have to go to 45' for a double axle. We don't need the towing power of a 600 hp rig, but a few extra hp doesn't hurt.

One question that I'm curious about is what is the "normal" discount on a Super C from the MSRP. There is a dealer in Phoenix who has several Renegades in stock and they are sure head turners.
They remind me of my old office and my PTSD comes a calling. Though sometimes its good to remember, now if I could get one with a siren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my ambulance.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	113720  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
IMO Super C is just a marketing term and not clearly defined. So if you look for motor coaches with Super C as a filter you might miss out on a lot of products to consider.

Class C generaly is defined as a product where the vehicle builder such as Ford, Mercedes, etc. provide a "cutaway" of a truck or van where the front section including dash, steering wheel, and seats is included, and behind that is just a bare frame ready for a coach builder to create over. Even this definition is now not perfect as some vehicle builders will sell to coach builders without OEM factory seats.

You can get Class C in all shapes, sizes, weights, and lengths. Winnebago makes product in every size and trim class of RV and Trailer except the super cheap class and the super expensive class so to do a good quick survey of the various sizes and differences you might browse the products on their web site.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
Wish we had a 10 speed in front (since it's a DP) of our ISX rather than the Allison 4000MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #13

If you contact NRC,Showhauler or Renegade they can custom build whatever length you want. I believe everything over 40ft is required to have a tag axle (or in the case of a truck conversion, this is an additional drive axle). Probably could have an air ride tag installed on a single axle truck if you really wanted to.
As far as storage compartments, I have front to back compartments. One is full of Onan generator cause you cant install it in the front (of course) The only pass through is in the rear box because of the frame/driveshaft but I have plenty otherwise.
Yes, you can't get into the executive parks but since I have never been in one, I don't know what I am missing..
Since this is our first motorhome, we don,t know how the class A's handle or drive. Having said this, we have been quite happy with our 43Ft tandem drive Cat powered NRC.
Don't be too worried about high hp engines. They only burn lots when you stick your foot into it. My 550 hp gets about 7.5mpg which for a 15 liter, running the speed limit, is pretty good.
There is a bunch of arguments which way you should go. Do your homework, look at lots of manufacturers and good luck.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

Just my opinion, but we traded a nice DP for a Super C primarily for 2 reasons. Safety and Maintenance. After 15,000 miles in the Super C proved it was the right choice for us. The ride is a little more stiff than the DP, which is a positive feel to me. 34,000 lbs (GVWR), 22.5 Tires, Cummins ISL.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote