Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, black shades are not hotter than lighter color shades.
That's interesting to learn because I always thought dark-colored objects absorbed and re-emitted more radiant heat than light-colored objects. I thought that's why I always felt warmer when I wore a dark-colored shirt outside in the sunshine than when I wore a light-colored shirt.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I posed that same question to Dave Townsley, CEO of MCD. If you are talking about a solid object, you are correct because the black color wavelength basically does not reflect light, it absorbs it. And where there is light, there is heat. A lighter color wavelength will reflect more light, therefore not absorbing as much light (or heat).

However, a sun screen is not the same. The white light reflects on the round screen "threads" and much of it bounces around and passes through, heating up the coach. The black screen won't let that happen, so the coach stays cooler. I've looked at various sun screens under a scope and found that there is a huge difference. The screen material that MCD uses is a much higher quality screen. It's actually easier to see through than most because it uses a one on one weave. The majority of sun screens out there use a one over two weave and the thread material is really fuzzy when compared to the MCD material. This makes a big difference in the ability to see out of the coach. That was especially noticeable when viewing through the sun screen at an angle. Most of the others darkened right up and became impossible to see through but the MCD screen was almost transparent. Yet, it provided the greatest heat rejection. I was very impressed.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
That's interesting to learn because I always thought dark-colored objects absorbed and re-emitted more radiant heat than light-colored objects. I thought that's why I always felt warmer when I wore a dark-colored shirt outside in the sunshine than when I wore a light-colored shirt.
Paz, I agree with you on clothing and solid objects, but as Cruzer noted above, it's not an issue with the mesh shades.

BTW, I have the black MCD shades.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I've had the outside snap and the inside suction cup. The only way I would have the outside type again would be if I never moved the Coach. If you travel a lot, it is just too much trouble to mount and unmount the outside shades and you end up not using them very much.

Outside (most types) get them out of the storage, find some place to lay them down to sort what goes where, get out the ladder, place the ladder where it will not fall over with you on it, climb up the ladder to find out you can't reach all of the snaps you thought you could, get down and move the ladder to do the other side. When you get ready to leave reverse the process but add that you need to spray some slippery stuff on the male part of the snap so that you can actually snap them on the next time you go to install them. Then dry them off from the morning dew as you are not going to be using them for awhile and you do not want them to mildew while stored.

Inside mount, pull them out from inside the Coach, lay them down, pick them up, snap the suction cups to the windshield, tell your DW your pooped from all the work and she will have to hook up the sewer hose.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #19
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
I've had the outside snap and the inside suction cup. The only way I would have the outside type again would be if I never moved the Coach. If you travel a lot, it is just too much trouble to mount and unmount the outside shades and you end up not using them very much.

Outside (most types) get them out of the storage, find some place to lay them down to sort what goes where, get out the ladder, place the ladder where it will not fall over with you on it, climb up the ladder to find out you can't reach all of the snaps you thought you could, get down and move the ladder to do the other side. When you get ready to leave reverse the process but add that you need to spray some slippery stuff on the male part of the snap so that you can actually snap them on the next time you go to install them. Then dry them off from the morning dew as you are not going to be using them for awhile and you do not want them to mildew while stored.

Inside mount, pull them out from inside the Coach, lay them down, pick them up, snap the suction cups to the windshield, tell your DW your pooped from all the work and she will have to hook up the sewer hose.
Jim, I feel the same way as you do about outside screens, and we even had the ones by Prompt RV Sunscreen that can be installed without a ladder (I sometimes needed a one-step stool, however). Inside screens are so much more convenient, you don't have to put them away wet from dew, they don't get dirty and you can't even tell they're up from outside (except the windshield looks very dark, and you can't see in).

Never thought about getting DW to hook up the sewer.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are a couple of points: It appears that the black mesh is somewhat easier to see out of than the lighter colors. I got gray for mine because I was worried about it being hotter. Secondly, the windshield glass gets hot! I believe that outside shades keep the window cooler so it doesn't transmit as much heat into the rig.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post

There is another way to get DW to hook up sewer hose, but cannot get into that on the forum.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Again, Magne-Shade does not require a ladder. A person of short stature can install the windshield shade in under 30 seconds. That does not include taking it out of its carry case. When rolled up I carry it on top of the bed, in the carry case. When installed I put the carry case and tube and rod in the overhead closet. It could be stored in the basement.

Edited: Maybe someone should do a pro and con about each and every type of sunscreen. What a select individual likes is their own opinion, sometimes based on experience. What I like is not the same as what you like. I may or may not like snaps. I may or may not like suction cups. I may or may not like magnets. My point is that when selecting a product for your RV it is nice to get other opinions on a product, but you do have to remember that it works for them, and it may not work for you. Chose a product based on your requirements. They are most likely designed to do what they are advertised to do. Base your selection on relevant facts and research.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked at all the offered windshield sunblockers. I chose the Prompt Sunscreen. We don't move everyday so when facing south it is a big help in reducting heat and light.

The temp today in Florida is 82 deg F at 12:30 pm
outside front hood facing south brown paint is 147 deg F
outside front Prompt Sunscreen surface is 128 deg F
inside windshield surface is 114 deg F
inside surface of pulled drape on windshield 97 deg F

I dont' have data without the sunscreen material but my experience from last year without one, this is a cooler coach and the privacy of a see through screen.

I think the Prompt design offered the simplest installion a the best price IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunscreen.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	3634