Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 07:44 AM   #1

Class B non-CDL (IL)

I need to get a non-CDL class B for my Skoolie concession that Iím built.

Is everything you need for the test in the non-cdl rules of the road book and does anyone have a link to Practice tests.

Can I take the test at a regular dmv and then go to a CDL facility for the test

Iím buying a Skoolie that is gutted and has only a drivers seat. How would I a test in it if thereís no passenger seat for the examiner

Is it true thereís no skills test like alley docking etc.

Thanks

Mark
MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 AM   #2

No info available from the IL , DOMV ?
Old 06-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #3

You will need a road safe RV to take the road test. They most likely will have you do a pre trip inspection. Yes, you take the road test at DMV CDL test site, like West Chicago or Plano. The killer is, you will need someone with the appropriate license to accompany you to take the road test, just like high school. If you show up alone, plan on getting a ticket and having to get your RV towed home. Thanks to George Ryan, when he was Sec of state and took kick backs for CDL license
daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #4

I live in Illinois, I went to my local DMV received a study guide. The study guide is the same for Class A, and B. There is a practice test in rear of study guide. Once you pass your written test you will receive a permit allowing you to drive with someone who holds that class of license. Then you must do a drive with DMV staff. Staff will do a walk around, check lights, mirrors etc. There must be a seat with seat belts for you and Staff. The DMV I used is not a CDL facility, so I don't believe you will need one. Do not let them tell you that you need a CDL, all RV's in Illinois are exempt from a CDL license. You will also need to get a DOT physical to be completely legal. They are typically good for 2 years unless Dr. Deems different. My advice would be to get the class A non CDL since the test, drive, and cost are the same and you would legal to drive any single or combination weight. The DMV cannot legally enforce that someone accompany you with a legal classed license however they could contact State Police or Secretary of State Police. Best advice would be to keep the peace with them. My dad retired from Secretary of state. If you have any questions PM me.. Josh
Old 06-27-2022, 06:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
I live in Illinois, I went to my local DMV received a study guide. The study guide is the same for Class A, and B. There is a practice test in rear of study guide. Once you pass your written test you will receive a permit allowing you to drive with someone who holds that class of license. Then you must do a drive with DMV staff. Staff will do a walk around, check lights, mirrors etc. There must be a seat with seat belts for you and Staff. The DMV I used is not a CDL facility, so I don't believe you will need one. Do not let them tell you that you need a CDL, all RV's in Illinois are exempt from a CDL license. You will also need to get a DOT physical to be completely legal. They are typically good for 2 years unless Dr. Deems different. My advice would be to get the class A non CDL since the test, drive, and cost are the same and you would legal to drive any single or combination weight. The DMV cannot legally enforce that someone accompany you with a legal classed license however they could contact State Police or Secretary of State Police. Best advice would be to keep the peace with them. My dad retired from Secretary of state. If you have any questions PM me.. Josh
Thanks Josh, to get a class A donít I need a class a vehicle to do the test?
Old 06-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCHI View Post
Thanks Josh, to get a class A donít I need a class a vehicle to do the test?

Yes, sorry I forgot to add that important piece. I will send you a PM later today.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #7

I live in Illinois and received my license over a year ago. You can take the driving test at any facility that accommodates it which is on their website. I took the test in Woodstock and the examiner I had was a total buffoon. He had no idea what he was doing. He had me driving under low bridges, down residential streets and had me back up around a corner into oncoming traffic which is exactly what they say not to do in the rule book. I think I’m the exception since no one else I spoke to had to. Also, I did not have anyone accompany me to take the test.

I’d suggest going to the DMV and ask them what to do regarding your missing seat, but 99% of the employees there won’t know the correct answer. I went to a DMV close to my house and asked where I should park and everyone I spoke to said I didn’t need a special license. They simply don’t have many people apply for a license for RV’s. When I was done with my driving test I asked the examiner how many RV driving tests he did per month and his reply was he did 1 every 2 years. He was more concerned looking at my coach than the test itself. It would probably help to put in a seat and seatbelt if you can and just go take the test.
EcoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
I went to a DMV close to my house and asked where I should park and everyone I spoke to said I didnít need a special license. They simply donít have many people apply for a license for RVís. When I was done with my driving test I asked the examiner how many RV driving tests he did per month and his reply was he did 1 every 2 years. He was more concerned looking at my coach than the test itself. It would probably help to put in a seat and seatbelt if you can and just go take the test.

I went to Elk Grove (closest to me) and the guy there certainly knew what he was talking about.

Really surprising that they only do 1-2 per year!
Old 06-30-2022, 05:36 AM   #9

Help Taking My Test in IL

Hi All

I just bought my class B (gutted skoolie) and need to get a class B non-CDL in IL.

The vehicle only has one seat and I don;t know anyone with a class B or better

So I need a way to take to the test (not willing to risk driving without correct license)

2 options I have are:

Find a cheap seat and install AND find someone with a CDL to accompany me
Find a place to rent a class B truck for the test: ideally south of Kankakee, IL

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-30-2022, 06:18 AM   #10

"Class B" in motorhomes does not equate to a gutted school bus, which requires a "B license" to drive. This probably belongs under the "Bus Conversions" sub forum.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
"Class B" in motorhomes does not equate to a gutted school bus, which requires a "B license" to drive. This probably belongs under the "Bus Conversions" sub forum.
I'm sorry but it does. The ONLY factor where the TYPE of vehicle comes into play is in determining if you need a non-CDL, CDL, Passenger, School bus license.

if you drive a vehicle over 16,000lbs in IL, you need a different class of license preiod.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:31 AM   #12

Getting my Class B non-CDL in IL

Hi All

I just bought my class B (gutted skoolie) and need to get a class B non-CDL in IL.

The vehicle only has one seat and I don;t know anyone with a class B or better

So I need a way to take to the test (not willing to risk driving without correct license)

2 options I have are:

Find a cheap seat and install AND find someone with a CDL to accompany me
Find a place to rent a class B truck for the test: ideally south of Kankakee, IL

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-30-2022, 06:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCHI View Post
I'm sorry but it does. The ONLY factor where the TYPE of vehicle comes into play is in determining if you need a non-CDL, CDL, Passenger, School bus license.

if you drive a vehicle over 16,000lbs in IL, you need a different class of license preiod.
I meant he/you posted it in the wrong forum.
"Class B" motorhomes don't require any special licenses to drive.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #14

Having gone through that in California suggest contacting the IL DMV about whether you need to take the skills test with your own or can take it with a rental vehicle https://online-cdl-test.com/Illinois...qs#state-links. In California I was required to take the test with my own.

Tags
class b, test