Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
mre

Cleaning Residential Fridge Coils

We took delivery of a new coach this week. It’s an all-electric coach with residential fridge. Having owned a home most of my adult life, I have found that the cooling coils on the fridge’s we’ve owned tend to very dirty and dusty. Even now with just us two and no pets, the coils still get dirty. As such, I have and still due, clean them somewhere between one and two years.

Though I have never owned a residential fridge in any of my previous RVs, I would expect that the RV fridge’s cooling coils would get dirty also and probably at an accelerated rate based on how dusty my previous RVs got inside. I ask the dealer during the walk-through about this and he had no real advice. He went on to say that he was not aware of any ever being clean and nobody has ever asked the question. He did say that the fridges are very securely fastened to keep them from dislodging and that they would be difficult to remove.

Has anybody ever cleaned one and if so how? Any other opinions?
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

Those replacing RV Absorption Fridges with Residential Fridges have access to backside via exterior panel/vents.

To be quite honest..........
Only can remember actually cleaning fridge coils in S&B when fridge had to be pulled out due to OTHER problems. ie: updating 120V AC Outlet or in order to get to dead mouse
And yet they worked for 10/15/20 years
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Wow! I pull mine out and clean it about every 6 months.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
In our home, I try to pull the refrigerator out and clean the coils and the surrounding area at least once a year. I'd do the same in the RV if living in it full time or after much use of the fridge.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #5

IDK, but I can already see that I am going to have to create something to slide the fridge onto to get behind it.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
IDK, but I can already see that I am going to have to create something to slide the fridge onto to get behind it.
An old milk crate was the perfect size/height when I pulled mine out.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of the new friges don't have condenser coils, They attach the tube to the side walls of the frig and it acts as the heat exchanger for the condenser

Take a look, in the back, if you don't see a coil then this is whats going on..

The 10 cu ft haier that we're looking to install is like this.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vacuum as much as possible then blow it out, stand back for a dust storm.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Some of the new friges don't have condenser coils, They attach the tube to the side walls of the frig and it acts as the heat exchanger for the condenser

Thanks I will look at that. The fridge is a 19cf Whirlpool.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Vacuum as much as possible then blow it out, stand back for a dust storm.
Thanks. I have already giving that some thought. I have actually thought of taping old bed sheet around the whole fridge area to catch as much dust as possible. I also thought of using my electric leaf blower.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've also installed A/C filters in front of coils but this does reduce cleaning frequency.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #12
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've also installed A/C filters in front of coils but this does reduce cleaning frequency.
I thought of that, but my 11 year old home Whirlpool side by side, draws air from the back and exhausts it from the front. I will have to check and see what fridge in the coach does. So if this is the case with the RV fridge, it won't work.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

The condenser coils are often tucked underneath. The last two refrigerators we've had in our home have been this way. A fan blows the heat out the front. Just because you don't see coils on the back, don't think they're built into the metal skin.

Most refrigerators are mounted in enclosed cabinets. A sidewall condenser would need to be exposed to air circulation to remove the heat. How does yours get rid of the heat? Does it vent out the back through the old evaporative fridge vents top and bottom of the refrigerator space? Or is the heat added to the thermal load inside the RV? (This is what most residential compressor fridges do in an RV installation)

In this study by Purdue, they mention that 32% of the heat returns to the refrigerated box.

Not the efficiency I'm looking for in a refrigerator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #14

The coils on our Whirlpool are on the bottom and partially accessible after removing the lower grill. I bought a flexible cleaning brush and can clean those near the front. Pulling the unit out is the only way to get to all of them.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge