Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #1

Cleaning under slides

Ant tips on cleaning under slode outs? Not much clearance to allow conventional cleaning tools will not fit under.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used the tube from a spring loaded curtain rod taped to the flex hose of our vacuum to get stuff.

Prevention is better than a cure so we stuff foam pipe insulation tubes in the gapes between the floor and cabinets etc to keep stuff out. I have a numbered set mitered for the various corners that I keep in a bag.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:43 AM   #3

Depending on the slide, there are ways to "tip up" the slide to get underneath it.
On my Newmar, one puts a 2x4 on the top of the slide and carefully move the slide inward. The 2x4 keeps the top from closing so the bottom continues to move in and the slide tips up. Put another 2x4 between the slide and the floor before putting your arm under there.

I put a smaller vac hose into my larger shop vac house (duct tape to seal) to allow the hose to get to the outside edges (where it's still tighter to the floor).
Old 01-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Depending on the slide, there are ways to "tip up" the slide to get underneath it.
On my Newmar, one puts a 2x4 on the top of the slide and carefully move the slide inward. The 2x4 keeps the top from closing so the bottom continues to move in and the slide tips up. Put another 2x4 between the slide and the floor before putting your arm under there.

I put a smaller vac hose into my larger shop vac house (duct tape to seal) to allow the hose to get to the outside edges (where it's still tighter to the floor).
Wow, I am not sure I would ever want to intentionally jam any slides to the point they start tipping one way or another. This is certainly a new technique I've never heard of.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Wow, I am not sure I would ever want to intentionally jam any slides to the point they start tipping one way or another. This is certainly a new technique I've never heard of.
that is the Newmar recommended technique.

530KTM - as in motorcycle?
I hopefully will get back to the Vet class this spring.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #6

You might want to check with Nexus to see what they suggest. There is the "Official Nexus RV Owners Group" on Facebook. You have to ask to join but it isn't too hard. Nexus has several folks that monitor the group. You could also call Nexus or go to the "Nexus RV Owners Group" which in not the factory sponsored group but is also monitored. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
NXR

I'm confused. Why would you not just extend the slide and then there is no "under the slide" except for maybe a few inches. You might be able reach that through the outside seal.

Ray
Old 01-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #8

Quote:
that is the Newmar recommended technique.

530KTM - as in motorcycle?
I hopefully will get back to the Vet class this spring.
Yes sir, my desert bike for many years. Been riding these things forever.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
NXR (Ray). Our full wall slide goes out a little over a foot, that leaves up to two feet of cabinet over the floor under the slide. The design actually uses the weight of the furniture to create a cantilever such that the slide actuator mechanism is not carrying a load. All of the load is carried by the roller on the floor. This leaves a lot of area under that furniture that can get dirt and dropped things under it. We inspect the area every time we bring the slide in to make sure it is clear.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #10

On same subject of cleaning under the cabinets, I also had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning the rollers themselves. Seems the plastic wrap that covered the new carpet got picked up by the rollers which then wrapped around them tight. Took some time to use a razor to cut them all free. Then, to file the rollers to get the embedded grit out of them. All of this was done when going from carpet (that doesn't care about the debris on the rollers) to hardwood (which would get ruined).
Old 01-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Glad to hear this. I was just thinking about doing this last night, and if it was possible, or would work. I have some roller problems and need some access under the inner edge of the slide.

I also have a small tube rigged up to a vacuum to clean under the slides.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:

Mine screws in and out at the bottom so that idea might work in my case. Still, it's still not something I'd want try unless I had to. Not sure about a hydraulic system but I'd be really reluctant to try it with a schwintek slide.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Mine screws in and out at the bottom so that idea might work in my case. Still, it's still not something I'd want try unless I had to. Not sure about a hydraulic system but I'd be really reluctant to try it with a schwintek slide.
You definitely would want to consult the slide manufacturer for the recommended method. It's usually discussed of "how to replace the carpet under the slide" procedure.

Newmar lists two methods. The Tilt method and to use bottle jacks under a long timber that lifts the slide upwards. The latter method didn't work for mine for some reason. Maybe because my kitchen cabinets make an "L" into the aisle so weight the slide inward...
Old 02-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outside is easy. But inside I just vacuum as much as easily possible.

Tags
slide