Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

Clear sewer hose extensions

Hi guys, another new guy question. Everyone talks about having the clear extension on the sewer line. So are all of them created equal? I bought a 20 foot rhino Flex sewer line with a 10 foot extension period but have yet to buy the clear adapter. Through your experience do you believe it is better to use a straight clear, 45or 90 degree extension? Or none at all? My black line seems close to the ground so I was thinking the 45 degree or the straight.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the only deciding factor should be what shape fits with your particular rig/configuration. Personally, I use a 90 connected immediately after the valves and it ends just above the screw in plug for the compartment so that I am able to leave it in place.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Choose 45 or 90 elbow depending on the convenience of hooking up to your outlet. If you don't need an elbow to make a hook-up, why buy one?

Personally, I've not found any need or desire to look at the fluid running out of my black tank, but if a clear elbow makes you more comfortable, have at it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Choose 45 or 90 elbow depending on the convenience of hooking up to your outlet. If you don't need an elbow to make a hook-up, why buy one?

Personally, I've not found any need or desire to look at the fluid running out of my black tank, but if a clear elbow makes you more comfortable, have at it.
That's exactly what I was thinking, but being new I wanted to ask for more experience RVer's opinions. It seems if I put any elbow in it it will provide a bend in Ihe line that's not needed, right now it looks like it would be a smooth flow all the way to the drain. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

To each his own desires. I do like to check my black water dump and desire to see clear and nothing but a clear water flush. And I use a clear 45.

That's my desire, others will differ.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathoncall View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking, but being new I wanted to ask for more experience RVer's opinions. It seems if I put any elbow in it it will provide a bend in Ihe line that's not needed, right now it looks like it would be a smooth flow all the way to the drain. Thanks for the replies guys.
Your mileage may vary but here are a few examples of the benefits I have experienced:

1. When dumping the black first and then using the grey to backwash into the black tank, I can see how many rounds of backflushing are needed before I'm satisfied with the results. If it's just you using the facilities, you're already aware of what's in there. If there is an entire family (kids included), you have very little idea of what's in there.

2. When boondocking (or whenever I have a full grey and less than full black) and I want to move some grey to the black tank, I put a secondary valve on the outflow and open the grey then the black valves. The clear extension lets me monitor the flow so that I know when to close the black and then the grey.

Again, your mileage may vary but I have found valuable uses for the clear piece.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #7

I use a straight clear section that stays connected to the slinky hose and fits inside the square rear bumper/hose carrier.

One less loose piece to have to handle and have to store someplace.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #8

I spoke to another rver and he recommended dumping some ice cubes into the black tank down the toilet. Then driving around every now and then. The theory is that the ice cubes help break things up and clean the tank out. Anybody heard of that?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
To each his own desires. I do like to check my black water dump and desire to see clear and nothing but a clear water flush. And I use a clear 45.

That's my desire, others will differ.
I haven't even dumped it once yet, so I'll see which one to get after I've a bit more experience. The clear adaptors are cheap so I'll order a couple, I was just concerned of adding another piece in the line that could leak.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
I spoke to another rver and he recommended dumping some ice cubes into the black tank down the toilet. Then driving around every now and then. The theory is that the ice cubes help break things up and clean the tank out. Anybody heard of that?
Yes, When we leave a campground we dump and turn on the internal sprayer for the black tank. Open and close the valve for about 1 minute and then let drain. I do this until the water runs clear. Then I dump the grey to clean out the sewer hose. I close both valves and fill the black tank 3/4 with water. When ready to leave the site I dump ice cubes down the toilet. After driving to next location, the ice swishing around cleans the tank and sensors. My 2008 RV never had a sensor problem. We also use the Geo Method to keep tanks clean- detergent-liquid Calgon- method can be found on internet.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
The ice cube theory is an Urbam Myth. Put ice cubes if you wish but it's the same result as dumping them out on the ground with the exception that it will raise the level in your black tank.
I and many others use a clear adaptor located at the valve before the hose. Straight, 90 or 45 whichever suits your configuration. The point is to flush the black tank to remove all solids and the clear adaptor allows you to confirm that process.
Once you have completed the process, add a few gallons of water which will help keep solids from building up on the bottom of the tank. Your tanks should be at least half full before dumping. Add water if required but volume is key.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends in what works for your setup. I have a 3" clear straight section added to the where the stinky slinky attached. It stays on the coach and the cap goes on it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

The clear adapter I use is a 45 deg but it also has an attachment point for a garden hose with the jet pointing back up towards the tanks. I don't have rinse jets inside my black tank so I have to clean it this way.
I always open the gray just for a few seconds, close it and then open the black until empty. Then while the black tank valve is open I hook up a garden hose (one I only use for this) to the adapter and turn on the water. The jet has an on/off knob so I run it a minute or until I'm getting more water coming back out than I think is going in. Shut off water jet, let black tank drain and replete until I get clear water.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Yup.... sounds good in theory... unless the tank is completely empty.. the ice cubes just float on top of the mess and do not accomplish a durn thing.. IMHO.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote