Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #1

Clogged toilet/back water.

I have a class A motorhome. Last fall I totally emptied my black water tank and flushed it out two or three times, before putting the RV up for the winter so it should have been totally cleaned and emptied. I always use a TST treatment after each time I had emptied the black water tank. I was getting ready to use it this spring and found out the toilet will not drain. It took the first bowl with TST chemicals of water OK, but not the second toilet would not drain or at least at least very very very slowly. I tried snaking a old water hose down the toilet and it would only go down about 10 ft and then stop. When I opened the black water tank some semi clear water would come out then stop. What could be the problem or fix.
dphillipssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #2

Maybe a piece of construction debris blocking the drain. How much water do you use per flush? Especially people not using enough after number 2 can create the dreaded poo pile. You might take a bore camera and go down through the toilet and look around. Bore cameras that can be used by a cell phones are pretty cheap now day.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

we use a full bowl of water when we flush.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

One bowl of water per flush,,,NOT enough. Especially if there's lady's in the RV who use wad's of paper. (I have that issue) :>).
If a 10 foot hose didn't get to the blockage a bore camera won't tell much of a story. Since you did see some water going down I'd boil some water and dump a huge amount at one time hoping to dissolve the blockage. Chemicals may work but if there is some water passing thru so will the chemicals. When you said garden hose did you have water going thru it or was it just being a snake.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #5

I used the garden hose as a snake. I had turned the water on it flowed so fast it would have backed up and flooded very quickly. Like I said it drains very very very slowly. I the four winters I have stored the motorhome over the winter using the same cleaning methods prior to storage I never had a problem with the blackwater system in the spring.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

So how do you get rid of the dreaded poo pyramid?
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #7

I always fill and then emptyout the back water tank two or three times until I get clear water running our of the black water tank the last time I empty the tank for the last time before buttoning it up for the winter.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #8

The hose went 10 FEET down through the toilet before stopping?

Have you checked the black tank vent?

What does the black tank level gauge read?

If there is a clog, Happy Camper Extreme is probably what you need.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #9

Agree on the "Happy Campers Extreme Clean".
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 AM   #10

You don't by chance let black tank drain valve open during storage? Heard of critters making nests.
charli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #11

no I kept it closed.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Clogged toilet/back water.

Something is blocking the drain. Sending a hose down the toilet only sends the hose into a 50+ gallon tank .. hows the end of the hose going to find the 4” drain hole? It isn’t a straight pipe like house plumbing. Your just sending hose into the tank until no more will fit .

Unpleasant as it is you need to work from the bottom .. your system needs a enema .. open the drain and with the water on shove the hose from the drain up into the tank .. all the better if it’s a pressure hose blasting away the clog.
There are companies that have a fitting that makes this less messy and do it for you. A drain elbow with a hole for the hose to go through.
When you break the clog be prepared .. have someone ready to shut the gate valve as soon as you can pull the hose back out. I had a guy I knew who had a piece of land ( field ) he took the rv out in the middle of so when the clog broke .... well let’s say it wasn’t in his driveway ! [emoji4]
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #13

I solved the problem, there was a switch on the wall I had not turned on the pump that takes the water flow through the grinder and into the black tank. I have flushed the toilet several times with the switch on and there is no back up of water into the to toilet and flushes normal. Something so dumb that I overlooked.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #14

Thanks for taking the time to report the "fix". Glad it was something simple
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, water