Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I tired of changing batteries so I bought the Kidde CO detector with a ten year Li ion battery. Works well and has a display so if the alarm goes off you can read what the concentration is. Now to get one for fire detection. Question for ladagoago, if the detector is only good for 5 or 6 years, why does the mfg say its good for 10???
Quote:
Since it looks like there is no answer to my question coming, for anyone interested the model # for the detector is C3010D. It comes with a 10 year sealed Li ion battery. I am on my second year and quite pleased with it so far. Even if I were to get less than that number I still like not having to deal with chirping batteries anymore.😁😁
powderman
Thanks for your simply stated, (aka: not unnecessarily wordy), posts on the subject of CO detectors.

I just ordered 4 Kidde C3010D CO detectors to replace my 9v battery powered CO alarms, (2 in my coach and 2 in my home), here: Robot Check

It will be nice to have CO alarms that will last for 10 years without having to replace the batteries every year.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I now know why some folks have 6315 entries on these list. The man asked why one detectors might last longer than another. That is such a long answer it just can not be answered here. It involves really deep electronic, chemical and scientific knowledge of the internal workings of the sensing unit. the short answer is it reused the oxygen in the room for replenishment in the water reservoir.

Just a note: do you know which manufacture has had the most recalled smoke and co detectors - look around - Personally I would only use a professional CO detector that I could test with a known real gas test and not one that uses a push button that only test the circuit that makes the noise not the sensor. good luck with those units in the MH's.

BUT if you really wish to know as much as we must learn go here and read. Then you might know why your choice may not be the most informed purchase. Key word Hydrogen proton and freeze conditions.
http://goodforgas.com/why-is-hydroge...or-co-sensors/
Old 01-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #31

I had a Kidde CO alarm in my home a few years ago that alerted me to a problem. I can say with certainty that I would nor be making this post if I didn't have it. It was not this model (it was the nighthawk version that powers off of 120v) but same company so I have first hand knowledge of its ability to perform correctly. I understand that its not what you sell, but that does not mean its not a good product. I have no dog in the fight so to speak, I just know what works.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I had a Kidde CO alarm in my home a few years ago that alerted me to a problem. I can say with certainty that I would nor be making this post if I didn't have it. It was not this model (it was the nighthawk version that powers off of 120v) but same company so I have first hand knowledge of its ability to perform correctly. I understand that its not what you sell, but that does not mean its not a good product. I have no dog in the fight so to speak, I just know what works.
I don't have a dog here either and could care less what someone wishes to purchase. I am only the messenger. I only answered based on 35 years in this business as to code issues such as where to place and how to use. I am still replacing some units installed 25 years ago because they should last a life time but fail. BG10 example.

I am glad you were protected by the very item which was recalled. I had one of them in my home to but the recall was Millions over all.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Kidde Safety, of Mebane, N.C., is voluntarily recalling about 1 million carbon monoxide alarms, including 650,000 Nighthawks and 350,000 Lifesavers.
More than 1.2 million smoke alarms and combination smoke/CO alarms were recalled because they could fail after a power outage.

The recall involved certain Kidde residential smoke and smoke/CO alarms sold at several retailers including Home Depot, Menards and Amazon.com. The alarms were sold between January and July 2014 for between $30 and $50.

The recalled alarms are hard-wired into a home’s electric power with battery backup; and the alarms “could fail to alert consumers of a fire or a CO incident following a power outage,” said a recall notice on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website.

“If a power outage occurs at the same second that a unit is performing a sensor health check, the units may go into a ‘latched’ mode, causing them not to alert to the presence of smoke,” said an informational post from Kidde.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I don't have a dog here either and could care less what someone wishes to purchase. I am only the messenger. I only answered based on 35 years in this business as to code issues such as where to place and how to use. I am still replacing some units installed 25 years ago because they should last a life time but fail. BG10 example.

I am glad you were protected by the very item which was recalled. I had one of them in my home to but the recall was Millions over all.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Kidde Safety, of Mebane, N.C., is voluntarily recalling about 1 million carbon monoxide alarms, including 650,000 Nighthawks and 350,000 Lifesavers.
More than 1.2 million smoke alarms and combination smoke/CO alarms were recalled because they could fail after a power outage.

The recall involved certain Kidde residential smoke and smoke/CO alarms sold at several retailers including Home Depot, Menards and Amazon.com. The alarms were sold between January and July 2014 for between $30 and $50.

The recalled alarms are hard-wired into a home’s electric power with battery backup; and the alarms “could fail to alert consumers of a fire or a CO incident following a power outage,” said a recall notice on the Consumer Product Safety Commission website.

“If a power outage occurs at the same second that a unit is performing a sensor health check, the units may go into a ‘latched’ mode, causing them not to alert to the presence of smoke,” said an informational post from Kidde.
Close but no cigar. The ones recalled were co/smoke alarms and not what I had. But hey your the expert and I'm still alive.😁😁
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #34

I installed my new CO Kidde Alarm and now waiting for my LP Gas alarm.

When done I will have Smoke, CO and LP Gas.

CO is 3ft up the wall
Smoke Alarm in the ceiling.
LP Gas will be close to the floor.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas