Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Coach battery solenoid bypass?

Hey guys, I am a new motor home owner! I recently purchased a 97 Winnebago Adventurer! I am having a problem, with the coach batteries. I have done my research and read and read, I just want to make sure before I go in and attempt a fix. I have the problem where the coach disconnect solenoid isnt staying latched and keeping the house batteries on.
I would like to replace the solenoid (if its bad) but want to make sure I am messing with the correct one.
I took this picture this weekend so I could figure it out.
First, the top solenoid is the one that is for connecting the coach batteries I believe, am I correct?
Second, should there be a fuse in the top right of it? If so, could that be the problem?
Third, I want to add a manual switch in case this goes bad again. From what I have read, I just connect heavy wires from the left big lug to the right. I was planning on using this switch and some 2gauge battery wire.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batteryConnect.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	103626  
ShreddinPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The label on the only solenoid I see in the photo has a sticker saying "Chassis" which should control batteries for the driving functions. The solenoid below it should have a like label saying, "House." An easy way to tell is have someone else trip the switch while you hold your finger on the solenoid body. If it's the one you want, you'll feel it switch.

What you're describing would bypass the function of the switch. If you leave the RV not hooked up to shore power for more than a few days you'll drain the batteries. As a temporary measure, you could do as described, but I'd only use a jumper wire or connect both large wires to one post while out getting the proper replacement.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

The label on the only solenoid I see in the photo has a sticker saying "Chassis" which should control batteries for the driving functions. The solenoid below it should have a like label saying, "House." An easy way to tell is have someone else trip the switch while you hold your finger on the solenoid body. If it's the one you want, you'll feel it switch.

What you're describing would bypass the function of the switch. If you leave the RV not hooked up to shore power for more than a few days you'll drain the batteries. As a temporary measure, you could do as described, but I'd only use a jumper wire or connect both large wires to one post while out getting the proper replacement.
Awesome. I will actually be taking her to burning man, so will need my coach power and dont think I can get a replacement solenoid in time. I will be running the generator once in a while to make sure the batteries are topped up as I also have a 150 watt solar panel array.
So it should be ok to jumper it it seems. I want to use a switch that way if something goes south with the solenoid I can just throw the switch and be back up and running.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am guessing here, but normally both disconnect relays are identical.
They are actually "Latching" relays. Every time you give them a pulse, they switch to the opposite position. Most have 3 control terminals.
Ground, on, off.

This is done so you only draw current when you are switching the batteries in or out.
It never hurts to have a spare, but you could also swap the two relays to see if the problem moves to the other batteries.

I suggest you always disconnect the battery ground cables when working on these things....unless you like to arc-weld your tools to the frame.

Regards,

Dan
Old 08-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I thought that looked familiar. Here's what mine looks like. Only one fuse. I had to replace my relay a few months ago because the dash switch would only disconnect battery sometimes, totally intermittent. Relay replacement was a 100% cure.

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
I thought that looked familiar. Here's what mine looks like. Only one fuse. I had to replace my relay a few months ago because the dash switch would only disconnect battery sometimes, totally intermittent. Relay replacement was a 100% cure.

Yeah, that looks exactly like mine. So replacing the top one fixed yours?
I found some on Ebay that are in california so I can get them before I go. I think this is the correct one.. but not 100% sure.
Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay 01 00055 000 Free Shipping | eBay
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
That looks like a match. Just verify it's the correct one of the two installed in that area. As I said, touching the barrel as it is switched, you can feel it clunk over. You'll notice that you have multiple wires at each large post, I'm sure your solenoids are by-passed for certain things deemed needed to be connected despite the power being turned on or off. That's fine except when you store without shore power, you might find your batteries dead. I have knife switches on my batteries to make sure they are disconnected. Of course you have 150 watts of solar, so your's should stay charged in sunlight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yup, that one will work. For ease of hooking things up correctly, I removed Battery + and - @ the battery. Then removed the mounting screws of the relay and kind of pulled the unit out to where I could have some room to work. Then, one by one, I disconnected from the old and reconnected to the new, just so I would screw things up. Have fun!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
In a pinch you can use one of these. Any auto parts sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

Thanks everyone! I ordered the ebay one, should get here friday in time for me to install this weekend
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

I am also planning on installing the manual switch as a back up
Old 08-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinPB View Post
I am also planning on installing the manual switch as a back up
Not sure if you did the fix yet...but be sure you disconnect the negative battery cable on the batteries....just to be safe while working.

Dan
Old 08-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Not sure if you did the fix yet...but be sure you disconnect the negative battery cable on the batteries....just to be safe while working.

Dan
I threw the manual disconnect lever in the battery box that disconnected the coach batteries positive connection. I should have disconnected the negative first, cause that would have solved the WHOLE problem. I put in the new latching solenoid, and a manual bypass switch, and it still didnt stay on. I then started taking off the negative connection and BAM the whole thing came on! The connection was too corroded.. (it didnt look very corroded just looking at it, it was all between the pieces) the very first thing I should have checked!! I just didnt think to check that since it was all working fine, and then after I pushed the switch to shut off the coach batteries, thats when this all went bad.
So, cleaning the negative terminal on my coach batteries fixed it lol
Old 03-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #14

About to change disconnect switch

Hello.....sorry for adding to a thread from a while back...But have been trying to read all experiences relating to the battery disconnect problems...I am going to attempt to change out mine for chassis I think.. Its a lot of work and hard to get to in our 2000 Rexhall Aerbus. I noticed that changing it did not work until the neg battery cable was cleaned.....if I am understanding correctly.....can you elaborate on this as my neg battery cable feels like the metal is soft and too bendable so have been thinking of replacing it. Wondering if this may have resulted in the battery disconnect not always working...

Thanks for any input.....Ponder
Ponder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery