Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coach Door Misaligned

In my 2005 Fleetwood Revolution 40C, th front door is very difficult to close. It rubs the top of the door jam so bad that most people cant close the door.

Is the specific method to adjust the door so that it opens and closes smootly?
Buztan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Looking forward to all of the suggestions as mine does the same thing except it is the bottom, on the latch side. I did adjust the 2 (screws) alignment bolts. It has helped but still is dropped down about a 1/4 inch below the opening for the bolts to slide into. With some effort ,, not slamming but pushing firmly it will close but would like for it to be a lot smoother.
1993 gulfstream sunvoyager.
Helen

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have carefully used a 4' 2x4 on the edge of the door with a sledge hammer to tap and adjust the door hinge.

I usually find that if the door is rubbing in once spot it has too much space in another so the above process adjusts the door hinge geometry.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buztan99 ,

Does your DP have two (2) door jam striker bolts? One up near the top and one mid jam?

I have installed many of my new striker bolts over the past three years and many of the original striker bolts were misaligned or the "Hex head bolt" was not far enough extended to be interference free (from the door latching mechanism) on the inside end of hex head - simply adding a spacer washer could solve this problem. This caused many closing problems on the rigs I have looked at. Also, many of this bolts, if fixed securly in their installation were never set properly at the factory to begin with.

Here is "Oemy's" web site of the new bolt design, in the "DIY" section.

DIY Projects
Door Striker Upgrade

I got this idea from Max Hubrich. He, like some others, has ripped one or more shirts or lost some skin to the door striker on our Newmar coaches. The end of the striker is shaped like bolt head but it is very thin and kind of sharp. What we have found is this same door striker is used on many other RV's. We have found that some DP's need a slightly longer threaded section. So, if you need the long version please indicate that in your email.
If you think you may want to order one from the dealer read the following that was posted on IRV2.com.
"The stricker bolt on my entrance door latch is showing signs of wear. I have also had this part called a shoulder bolt. I have a 1999 gas Mt. Aire. I called a local Newmar dealer and they want $44.00 for this bolt. I tried calling Newmar direct, but they will not deal with a customer unless at a rally. Anyway, does anyone know of a source for a replacement bolt. I have tried auto dealer, parts store and lawnmower repair shop."
Tom Van de Bussche
Get one Free - Order Instructions
Orginal Striker:

But, Max went out to his shop a came up with a bull nose design with 3/8" machine flat to allow you to use a wrench to tight it up when installing it.

Installed

Specifications

Return to DIY Projects

I suggest you remove one, or both (if you have two), of these bolts and closely examine them to look for interference problems and readjust them accordingly.

When adjusting these bolts make sure the coach is level as you would have it while living in it.

Good luck,
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the door itself is at a wrong angle. messing with the latch bolt isn't going to help. You might want to remove the bolt and try it. to make sure it isnot the latch bolt pushing the door up so that the top jams. If it still jams with no latch bolt in place, you have misaligned door. That suggests to me that the frame is slightly bent and I don't know of any adjustment for that. Maybe could remove the entire door and shim it a bit?

A trip to the Fleetwood Factory Service Center in Decatur, IN, may be the best solution for this sort of problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If the door itself is at a wrong angle. messing with the latch bolt isn't going to help. You might want to remove the bolt and try it. to make sure it isnot the latch bolt pushing the door up so that the top jams. If it still jams with no latch bolt in place, you have misaligned door. That suggests to me that the frame is slightly bent and I don't know of any adjustment for that. Maybe could remove the entire door and shim it a bit?

A trip to the Fleetwood Factory Service Center in Decatur, IN, may be the best solution for this sort of problem.
I agree that it's an alignment issue and not an issue with the striker bolt. It very well may be a bent door frame but I see a bunch of screws running down the side of the door that mounts to the door hinges. It looks like each scew hole is slighlty oval so maybe I can unsrcew each a bit then adjust the door down and in a bit. I'll give it a try.
Buztan99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, door, doorcheck, doors