Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

Planning a trip to Minnesota in January.
Need i say more? LOL

I really appreciate all the knowledge shared on this forum, hoping maybe you guys could offer a few pointers on what to do to prepare for overnight parking my Sightseer 30B when the temps are in the 0's & below. No hook up except maybe an extension cord i can run from my brother-in-laws garage.
Is it crazy to take along an electric blanket to wrap in the dump/water compartment to ward off freezing pipes?

Thanks in advance!
shortboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #2

Planning a trip to Minnesota in January.
Need i say more? LOL

I really appreciate all the knowledge shared on this forum, hoping maybe you guys could offer a few pointers on what to do to prepare for overnight parking my Sightseer 30B when the temps are in the 0's & below. No hook up except maybe an extension cord i can run from my brother-in-laws garage.
Is it crazy to take along an electric blanket to wrap in the dump/water compartment to ward off freezing pipes?

Thanks in advance!
shortboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Why????????????

Other than asking the obvious, I am sadly no help, but someone here will be.

Brenda, of
Old 12-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not knowing how well your basement compartments are insultated and set up for heat from the furnace ducts -- I would run an electrical cord to the wet bay and hang a 100 watt light bulb where it won't burn anything. It's an old trick and provides more heat than you would think.

Good luck,
Old 12-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
As suggested, a light bulb will be much better (and much neater!) solution than an electric blanket. A great way to monitor the compartments is to put wireless thermometer sensors in a compartment or two that you are particularly concerned about. I got a thermometer than can have up to 3 sending units so I can monitor two outside compartments (water service bay and water pump compartment) and the refrigerator.

I don't know for sure on your Sightseer, but on my Ultimate the water tank compartment has a hose off the LP furnace vents so some heat is pumped into those compartments when the furnace runs.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
shortboxer...
welcome to iRV2! You came to the right place to get your questions answered..but I think you might have better luck with this linked to the Winnebago forum...since they will know how well the basement compartments are insulated.
I am sure one of the moderators will come along soon to link it to Winnebago or another forum!
Again... Welcome to iRV2 ...and hopefully you will also join the Winnebago forum!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #7

Brooder Lamp. What I have used for years is an inexpensive Brooder lamp purchased at any TSC store or farm supply. They give a radiant heat meaning the bulb only heats what the light hit on then the heat is reflected back out to the enclosed area. Very safe and dont require alot of power.
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
If it were me and I absolutely had to take the MH instead of the car to Minnesota in the winter, I would completely winterize all the RV portions of the vehicle and not use them at all. Carry bottled water for drinking and use rest stops except for emergencies. If you use your onboard facilities, either dump and winterize them before parking or add several gallons of pink stuff to insure you don't burst any holding tanks or drain valves and pipes. While visiting, use the extension cord to keep the batteries warm and use the engine heater before you start up to travel to warmer climes. My first winter in Duluth was a real learning experience!
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #9

Im in NJ and I know it would not get cold as were you are going. But I wrap the fresh water tank with insulation had the engine check. and I put a drop light 60 watt in the bottom compartment were the water and other tanks are.
Im running same electric heaters. Im in our daughter drive way. I can not wait to get back to florida along with my goldwing.
Jim
JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nobody mentioned taking a shovel along- you'll probably need it! Seriously, not useing your water and holding tanks is a good idea, it can get really cold where you are going, possibly even colder than the anti-freeze can handle so some way of heating even with anti-freeze in the system is recommended. Good luck and keep warm!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
shortboxer;

Easyrider has given you good info. Do not attempt to leave fresh water in your system. I fear you will have problems with broken lines.

In March 1996 we had the City of Weyauwega evacuated for 5 miles around due to a train wreck containing cars of propane. I lived in my M/H for 18 days. Temps were about 15 at night. If you don't have thermo pane windows they will freeze over due to humidity build up which will be a problem for you even with thermo pane windows. Our bed blankets froze to the windows where they touched. We kept 5 gal jugs of potable water in the shower stall to cook and make coffee. We used the toilet, flushing it with windshield washer antifreeze. We arranged to shower elsewhere. In the spring when it warmed up water started to drip from the ceiling. Moisture had collected on the steel ribbing in the ceiling. Bottom line is motor homes are not designed for occupation in temperatures you will likely encounter in Minnesota in Jan. Good Luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Temps were about 15 at night. If you don't have thermo pane windows they will freeze over due to humidity build up which will be a problem for you even with thermo pane windows. Our bed blankets froze to the windows where they touched. &lt;snip&gt;
In the spring when it warmed up water started to drip from the ceiling. Moisture had collected on the steel ribbing in the ceiling. Bottom line is motor homes are not designed for occupation in temperatures you will likely encounter in Minnesota in Jan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don

You didn't mention what motorhome you lived in for this experience in '96, but it is not necessarily true that others will have such problems. As fulltimers, we have stayed in our motorhome (the one listed in the sig block) for as long as a week in temps to 5 below zero F. We used our water tanks, dumping and refilling fresh water during the sunny part of the day. Wireless thermometers in basement water compartments show one got down to 42 and the other down to 38. The only ice we had on the inside of any windows was on the front windshield. We did burn about 30 gallon of LP that week, and had to avoid the tile floor when in bare feet!! The motorhome did quite well, but we definitely would not choose to repeat the experience unless absolutely necessary!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #13

I would recommend also to be sure oyu are burning propane, not a butane product. While butane burns hotter, it will not vaporize below 32 degrees where propane will work to about -44 or so. Most northern states only sell propane but down south you may find butane rather than propane.
mpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #14

You might also consider tire cables or chains. We use our MH at the ski hill and have decided that it's better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have em!

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote